main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming NEW CHALLENGERS APPROACHING: Super Smash Bros. [Ultimate]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 31, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting rundown stream. The big news, of course, is that Terry is available today (probably why this streamed at such an early hour).

The stream basically had Sakurai give a Neo Geo history lesson and explain who Terry was, as well as the FF, AOF and KOF series. He compared it to how, for the original SSB game, people in Japan would ask him "Who is Samus?".

He followed that with a moves breakdown, stage features (has breakable side walls to simulate a more traditional fighting game arena), background cameos (20 characters from KOF and other games), music selection (50 tracks!) from not just KOF but multiple SNK titles, new Mii Fighter costumes (mostly FF/KOF characters plus Akira from Virtua Fighter) and showed the Chrom, Simon and Incineroar amiibos hitting this month.

During his fight against the "3rd party fighters" team, he was even dropping some fun facts in his commentary: "Sonic and Terry are the same age as they both debuted in 1991. One year later, Kirby debuted in '92... everybody's getting old." [face_laugh]

They ended it with a finished version of the reveal trailer for Terry (so that it has gameplay footage, etc).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Rew likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008

The2ndQuest likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fighters Pass 5 reveal live at 9am EST:

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I hope the Byleth rumors are wrong, I've appreciated how out of left field these DLC fighters have been.

Now I'm not saying "Therefore it should be Scorpion from Mortal Kombat," but...

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Laaaaaaaaame.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    And they start out with Byleth (and that mysterious girl, sorry for spoilers) of course. Interesting to see other Three Houses cast in the background in the Smash art style.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, personally I am excited about this because I love Byleth and Three Houses.

Although of course what I really wanted was Sora. But that wasn't going to happen for... reasons? Who knows. It would have been perfect.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I just want a Fire Emblem character that isn't the blank slate protagonist since they're apparently going to insist on doing this every time.

Whatever, looks like Hero is still my ride or die. I welcome competitive player salt. :p

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am just excited about the potential of Sothis's spine in the Sword of the Creator to go smack people. So metal.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Figures that Megaman X only shows up in crossovers these days (and as a costume at that).

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was initially a little let down it was another FE character (though I imagine I might feel different had I played FETH already) but the different move set options with the variable weapons (and multi-phase stage designed to take advantage of each of them) does set them apart.

Altair, MMX, MMBN, Rabbids & Cuphead costumes are one of the stronger Mii Fighter costume sets, I must admit.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Altair? Awesome! He has been my PSN Avatar since I joined PSN back in the PS3 days. I'm never changing. Love me some Altair.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What was kinda interesting is that the announcement banner said “SSBU X Altair”, not “SSBU X Assassin’s Creed”. AFAICR, they’ve always used the series title, not the character name, in any character ir costume reveals to this point.

Speaking of which, they announced Fighters Pass 2 will be up for preorder at the end of the month and that it will include 6 Fighters this time (“one more than last time”). However, they didn’t really point out that, technically, the last FP was also 6 it’s just that we got Piranha Plant for free. I had wondered if they were gonna do something similar this go around but I guess not.

EDIT- Also worth noting the fine print: Fighters Pass 2 will completed by Dec 31st 2021. So, basically, expect 2 years of hype announcements for new fighters.

Also, I assume that means we can also look forward to new Smash amiibo through 1st quarter 2022. The collection will never be complete! :_|[face_dancing].

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Came out a few months ago, not quite as good as some of their movie trailers but the "Starring" section had some good ones- especially Hero [face_laugh].

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Today's Smash video announced the ARMS character is Min Min, with Spring Stadium as a stage and pretty much the entire ARMS soundtrack included. Mii Fighter costumes include Vault Boy, Ninjara, Callie, Marie and Heihachi. They also announced new Spirit match features (rematches, altered challenges based on Mii Fighter costume purchases, high scores, etc) and showed off some dev team videos of easy tricks to beat some of the more difficult spirits like Pauline.

Also revealed the Joker and Hero amiibo, said the remaining DLC fighters are in amiibo development (but hedged that they don't know how many will reach production).

They also dropped the fun tidbit that they still use all of the original Captain Falcon voice over lines from N64 and have never recorded new audio until the Min Min reveal trailer today. Turns out that even Falcon's line during his Final Smash was recorded for the N64 because they originally planned to have Final Smashes all the way back in the original game.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Do it, cowards.

You know what the implication is. DO IT.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Quick direct update tomorrow at 7 AM PST, 10 AM EST re: A new fighter coming to SSBU. Any guesses?

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK, what Fire Emblem characters are left?

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Crash Bandicoot. Calling it now.

Of course, I really want Amaterasu from Okami, but that will neeeeeeeeeeeeever happen.

20. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Minecraft!

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Meh. I will buy this game when they give me Sora.

22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Looks like the announcement broke Twitter.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the inevitable amiibo won't be all that impressive or difficult to sculpt, heh. And it'll no doubt be a 4-pack, forcing us collectors to spend the most money on an amiibo set ever, despite not caring about the actual characters.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It looks like Steve / Alex are 77 while Zombie / Enderman will probably be 77e.
    https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/77.html

I know as much about Minecraft as I do about rocket science. As for Smash as a while, I'm more interested in playing these characters in a story than having them fight so I haven't picked up this title yet as the story mode isn't that great from what you've said in this thread previously.

Regardless of my opinion, it seems to be a smart move by Nintendo to potentially get the large number of Minecraft fans aka my young nephews to also get on the Smash train.