main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

New Comic Series: Dark Times!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jon_Bidinger, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    *fixed

2. Jixton

Jixton Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    As far as I know it will be a miniseries, but how many issues it will be ?

3. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Where's San Hill?

4. Master_Palpy

Master_Palpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Yeah, I agree completely. Very cool, indeed!

5. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    I hope we see some of Vader's Sith training.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ^^ Not even kidding, here: when I opened up that image the first time, the gun looked like a bow and the blaster strapped to his back looked like a quiver.

7. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    First Issue comes out on Oct 25 according to RebelScum

8. DougWheatley

DougWheatley Artist: Dark Times, Empire, ROTS VIP

May 29, 2003
    Exar_Xan- LOL, well it reminds me too of a P-90. Wouldnt be the first time we see something from Stargate slipping into the GFFA.

Yeah...I bought this book on modern weapons, saw this sweet look'n FN P90 made in Belgium, so I went about redesigning it for the Dark Times issue one cover. Now, if I watched Stargate, I don't have time for TV :( but if I watched Stargate, and knew they had used the P90, I would have passed on the P90 and worked up a different design. You wont be seeing this gun again, I'll come up with something better. So, to make this clear, I have never seen a Stargate Atlan..whatever episode.

Can't. Resist.

Legolas ... with a gun!

All right, here is another fact. I have never used Legolas or the actor who played him as a model for Das, (I like this spelling better too) :)...Dass, seriously, never looked at one picture, even for a second. When I finished the design for the republic issues, I still didn't see the resemblance. No...I don't wear glasses. Long hours I guess. I sent it in, Lucas approved it, and everything was good, right? It was about half way through issue#80 of Republic when I looked at the pages and immediately thought "#@$!, that looks like.... what?s his name.
    Okay, all through the Republic issues, I've taken it on the chin.." Look! Legolas with a lightsaber...tee hee! I've been waiting for the opportunity to fix this character, and I have. The face that appears in the book, and on the cover DOES NOT RESEMBLE Legolas, or the actor that played him. Yes, he has long white hair in a ponytail...for now ;) but, find a picture of the Elf and compare.

So if you could find it in your hearts to let go of my past blunder, I would be eternally grateful! :) Besides, Dass is much cooler than er....that other guy :)

Oh, look, dinosaurs!

Oh look, Nosaurians!

This book, in my opinion is going to be so much fun, it might kill me!

Sorry for the long post, talk with you all later, I gotta draw Darth doing something to someone somewhere in the galaxy :)

Looking forward to meeting with some of you in San Diego! See you there.

Douglas.

9. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 2005
    I like Palps' new office :)

It looks fancy, yet militarisitc, I just wish we could see more Vader in that shot [face_mischief]

Can't wait for it to come out, or any of the other comics, me wants them, me wants them all!

10. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Been digging KOTOR and Rebellion lately, can't wait for dark times!!!!!

11. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    Art's looking great in general

12. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    You act like it's a bad thing! I love it :D [:D]

But I did notice he looks less like Legolas :)

13. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Dinsosaurs aside, the look art and overall design (especially Palpatine's office) is amazing.
    Though just like with the books, I don't like that one fellow is slowly replacing Mas Amedda. It's like they didn't even try to work with his character.
    But that's an EU issue and not specfically an issue with this :)

14. WitchKing73

WitchKing73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Now THIS is podracin'!!!!!

Nice job DH, for finally getting permission to do another one of these 'tween ep. III & IV stories. We've come to understand that this is pretty protected 'timeline territory' with the new television series on the horizon.

This is the most excited I've been in years about one of your projects. Great talent working on this piece too! Thanks, and can't wait to read it!

Marketing nugget:
    I'm a consumer who is strictly a fan of 'Prequel & Classic Era' characters (inbetween and around the movies), and have best loved your Clone Wars, Republic, & Empire series.

15. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm... not at all surpised. :p Seriously, given the success of Republic, wasn't this a given?

I wonder if this will continue Republic's numbering... I imagine, given the rename, it'll do what Rebellion has done and have a little Dark Times #1 (Republic #84) at the bottom of the title page.

Not too keen on the leapfrogging thing, mostly since it'll mean nearly half a year between arcs of each series. :(

Good to see Wheatley given the art helm of this-- It's nice to know that DH's four ongoings will be drawn by the four best Star Wars artists.

Nice to see the Nosaurian arc back, too-- I love those guys.

Don't like the title too much-- c'mon, this is a golden age! But what can you do.

Good stuff. The only reveal left is Josh Ortega's mystery project. Still wondering what that'll be, but my guess is a miniseries of some sorts. Five ongoings would be awesome, but I've a feeling DH will leave it at four.

EDIT: Doug, don't worry-- that new picture of Das doesn't remind me of Legolas at all. :)

16. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    He's right there, next to Mas Admedda:

[image=http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/7072/palpsmuun16xg.jpg]

And also right here, next to his fellow survivee Shu Mai:

[image=http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/631/palpsmuun29bc.jpg]

[face_mischief]

17. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    Actually, I would ask that you keep that gun around. When I first saw the gun, I recognized the P90's influence on it. And I was pleased.

One of the things that gave the OT era it's distinctive feel was the fact that a lot of the weaponary, clothing, and gear was based on (or were simply modified) real world items. (It's something that the Prequels never quite achived until Episode III, when they were using modified versions of OT gear). The fact that such real world influences are appearing in the comics mark a perfect shift into the "Dark Times" of the OT. The fact that you based the gun off of a real weapon shows that you understand the "look" of Star Wars, and that you're willing to do your homework to create something that feels right.

So I say keep up the good work, and ignore what else that gun or anything looks like. Because at the end of the day, it looks like Star Wars, and that's what counts.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Awesome! Doug's work is great, and I'm glad to see the "Endgame" cast united into a eries.

Looks like this definitely helps peg Purge's setting in relation to the events of DL as well.

19. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Woo-hoo! :D

I loved Dark Horse's work on the Clone Wars era and I'm excited to see the next step with Dark Lord. I think it has great potential and I can't wait to see this era explored.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah, Mr. Jennir has returned. Such a unique character design, really, all He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named Elf jokes aside. I hope he doesn't kick the can too early. He scored brownie points in my book the moment he became the first Jedi to recognize that the Confeds were his new allies.

And speaking of Separatists... I see I'm not the first to ponder whether the fate of a certain imuune individual will be addressed in this era.

21. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, if my visual theories above are correct....:p

22. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm gonna guess that we'll see more of the one-panel Jedi set up in Into the Unknown-- the Verpine, Human, and whathisname. The soup cook guy.

Also, could this be what K'Krukh, Jeisel, and A'Sharad were saved for? Although those three were Ostrander/Duursema characters... maybe this'll eventually set up A'Sharad as Krayt?

23. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Zao.

I wonder if Ostrander and Duursema (or at least Ostrander, since writers can usually handle more assignments simultaneously than pencillers) could work a few Quin/Tholme/T'ra/Khaleen/Villie/Chak/Korto arcs into their schedule...

24. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    It probably depends on how set all of thses series are on authors and artists. I think it's been said that other artists may come in later for Legacy, which could mean that both John and Jan could be free to do some Quin arcs...

EDIT: Since KOTOR is already using more artists, I'm sure Legacy will as well.

25. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Kneel before Zao! ;)

He's one of the few Jedi I see dying of natural causes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.