main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Comic Series: Dark Times!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jon_Bidinger, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    From what I gather, each of the four new ongoings has one writer and one "chief" artist who does most of the issues, with other artists filling in when necessary. KotOR, for example, is helmed by Ching, with others filling in when he needs a break (#5 and #7).

2. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I really wish Jan would remain as THE legacy artist. I'm not saying I don't like the other art, I do like it a lot (most of it), but I feel like "Legacy" is a John/Jan story, like the Quin stories, it doesn't feel the same if it's different art.

Still, I'm okay with it, just mentioning it.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003

Yeah...I bought this book on modern weapons, saw this sweet look'n FN P90 made in Belgium, so I went about redesigning it for the Dark Times issue one cover. Now, if I watched Stargate, I don't have time for TV but if I watched Stargate, and knew they had used the P90, I would have passed on the P90 and worked up a different design. You wont be seeing this gun again, I'll come up with something better. So, to make this clear, I have never seen a Stargate Atlan..whatever episode.

First off, hello. You're one of my favorite artists and I'm glad to see you on here. Second, I love the look of the gun and I hope you use it again. Stargate didn't invent it so I doubt there'd be any problems with you using it.

4. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Like I said, Sauron, from what I understand Duursema, Ching, Badeaux and Wheatley each have their own ongoing series, with other artists just as fillers when needed. Although, again, I could me mistaken.

5. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    See, I kind of agree and disagree with you at the same time. I do agree that I like to see one artist on one story, and in the case of Legacy we can broaden that out to the whole schedule. But I disagree in that I don't necessarly mind seeing different artists on different arcs. Fill ins are what I don't like much, often the change is jarring and distracts from the story (see KOTOR #5). It's not necessarly that the art is bad, just...different. But I am for different artists on different arcs, if only to get a good variety of great art.

6. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Two wishes...

A) Let's hope that this series can tie into and intertwine with the future LIVE-ACTION TV Series!

B) Let's hope that John Ostrander gets to write in this series at some point in time.

7. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Actually A'Sharad first appeared in "Outlander," which was a Tim Truman arc, and K'Krukh first appeared in "Acts of War," which was one of Randy's stories. So since John and Jan took over those characters, I don't see why they can't be fair game for others now too.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased! Although a little saddened by the leapfrogging between Dark Times and Rebellion. I'm another one of these fans who is much more interested in filling the gaps between films than in what lies outside the timeline of the movie era. As such I've been much more excited about "Rebellion" than the other new series and it's too bad I won't get to read both "Dark Times" and "Rebellion" every month.

8. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Since Republic's retitling A'Sharad and K'Krukh were handled only by Ostrander and Duursema.

9. sithlord-3

sithlord-3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Cool, I think this will be a great series (Unlike Legacy, damn I hate legacy).

I have not read much of Kotor yet, but i think kotor and dark times will
    be the best ongoing series , at least for me (maybe rebbelion too).

Please NO MORE QUIN !!! republic did too much on him already

10. Commander_Kayman

Commander_Kayman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    Great finally the Darktimes. Maybe this will be the new multi media event, you know like clone wars because there are a lot of books upcoming on the darktimes plus a tv serie and a game.
    What I think would really give this post order 66 feel in the series is Darth Vader leading clone troops into battle. First Jedi, now sith in command, just that simple! I'm glad they are making it right now because Star Wars: Legacy is stealing away all kinds of Dark Times concepts that would possibly make everything else where jedi are almost instinct and are hunted down feel cliché.

11. Daniel-K

Daniel-K Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2004
    That's not even clost to a P-90. The only similarity is the heavy trigger guard.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Oh, for the smokin' curves of Mara's hide, what's the big deal? The RC-P90 was my favourite Goldeneye 64 gun. It ripped you to shreds in moments, moments. My bros never stood a chance.

Neither did I.

Neither would Desann on hardest level, if I had one.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Forgot to ask: artistry team? Should be new faces this time round.

Hmm, Dark Times has a lot of story room. Sensible move. You could show the failed Belsavis assault. [face_laugh]

They make Pothman a clone, you all owe me 4yrs of apologies, ok?

14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>That's not even clost to a P-90. The only similarity is the heavy trigger guard. <<<

[image=http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Bremse/FN-P90.jpg]

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/comics/swDarkTimes1.jpg]

Well, the entire under half of the gun is almost the same. They have about as much similarity as the DL-44 has with a "broom-handle" C96 Mauser pistol. (As in, its spruced up with "Starwarsy" doo-dads and tech thingies, but it still looks similar to the original Earth-used gun.)

[image=http://website.lineone.net/~braithwaitej/mainsite/overview/guns/mauser.jpg]

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/mr/mr-hanblaster8.jpg]

15. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Oh I never meant to have that changed sir. As some other poster here said: It has its charm since OT weaponsare also modified real life weapons. So I would like to see this weapon in the final print to.

PS: I saw you did the Darklighter arc of Empire too: I really loved those comics.

16. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    I count myself as a Quin fan, and would love to see Ostrander write some stories for him within this new series, but I also think it would be refreshing to have Dark Times focus on others besides Quin. I think Republic really benefited from being more or less Quincentric (let's not kid ourselves, people). You could really compare it with Empire, which lacked the drive and focus that the Quin stories brought to Republic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the new series should have focus, but not necessarily on Quin (who seems to have a pretty good chance of being in the TV show, anyway).

Oh, and those panel previews with the Emperor, Pestage, and Amedda: they just remind me of that awesome Robot Chicken skit.

17. Xal

Xal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2006
    And after all this time, I thought "Dark Times" would also be appropriate for the upcoming TV series.

18. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Yup... and I would've way preferred an new comic series set in the NR or NJO... especially latter could feature really cool action, something different from Jedi/Rebels vs. Empire... esp. 'cause you got melee combat Jedi vs. Vong, or maybe even Mandos vs. Vong... but well, we can't choose things like that [face_whistling]

19. Charlii

Charlii Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I do hope that the TPB covers will be based on the Clone Wars ones so they fit together in my bookshelf...

/Charlii

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    First thing I thought of.

'So then I threw the SENATE at him!'

'Go for Poppa Palpatine!'

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I do hope that the TPB covers will be based on the Clone Wars ones so they fit together in my bookshelf... <<

Nah, the Dark Times series should have it's own style, much as the pre-Clone Wars Republic issues had their TPB style.

22. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
  23. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
  24. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The new five part mini-series, Star Wars Dark Times: The Path To Nowhere features new story by Welles Hartley and Mick Harrison, with art by Doug Wheatley. The first issue arrives on sale October 25.

25. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    The one Das is holding looks much cooler :cool:

I think it'd be prety cool if they kept the Clone Wars style, but changed the white to black :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.