main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Disney/Lucasfilm Animated Movie: Strange Magic

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Sword_Of_Goliath, Jan 30, 2012.

1. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    The trailer isn't very good but having watched it three times it's growing on me. It looks pretty insane! Echoes of Willow, Shadow War, Radioland Murders and other Lucas projects past.

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it's difficult to say how well it will do , but these days animated films seem to automatically make big money all year long.
    AND the GL haters are already out on aintitcool and imdb.
    I guess they can't get it through their heads that it's for kids.

3. Dent

Dent Jedi Master star 1

Jun 3, 2014
    The Yahoo player doesn't really work well for me, and I'm not sure if it's the same for anyone else. If it is, here's the embedded trailer from YouTube.

EternalHero likes this.
  4. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    The trailer is extremely obnoxious: hyper-jumbled together with as many scattered jokes and screaming faces as they could possibly cram into two minutes. I'm not quite feeling the pop-song musical premise either but that, too, might simply be a result of the bad sell. I also would have preferred a different approach for the good guy fairy/gnome design instead of the semi "uncanny valley" look, which, coupled with all the singing, is kind of unsettling, if not a tad creepy. The animation overall, though, does looks strong and lively.

5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    hate to say it but trailer kinda falls a bit flat :/ Animation looks fantastic though.

6. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I don't know how the actual film's story will play out, but this trailer was edited and assembled in a horrible fashion. If it wasn't for my interest and appreciation of Lucas and Lucasfilm, I probably wouldn't go see this. Animated films generally do well, but nonetheless it's still a competitive market out there, and anything dealing with fantasy and fairy tales can be tough to successfully market and secure good box office earnings, as this genre is very crowded.

This film was originally announced years ago as an animated CGI musical with fairies, and sometime after it was revealed that it would contain previously released music from artists. The recent press announcement states that it contains music from artists spanning six decades, and I'm sure they've all been selected by Lucas himself to help propel the story in the film.

I think it's really sad how the Lucas haters have come out in massive droves since the release of this trailer. This film's been in production for at least 3-4 years, and it's obviously something that Lucas has had some interest in making. No one, under any circumstance, has to go see this film: if you don't want to, then don't go and see it. These haters act as if they're standing on some high moral ground, ridiculing Lucas and demanding he make films "like this" or "like that." Just let him be. He's more accomplished and talented, and dare I say humble, than all those haters out there.

In terms of it becoming "a flop," per Lucasfilm tradition I'm sure we'll never really know the budget for this film, but per another Lucasfilm tradition, I'm sure this was a cost effective film with a tight budget. Disney doesn't really have much to lose here; they're just distributing and marketing the film, and with the impending release, it's going to be a short and quick marketing effort. This project received the majority, if not all, of its funding from Lucasfilm before the sale, so in the end, if anyone loses money over this, it's probably just going to be Lucas himself, which is no big deal.

Also, how cool was the Lucasfilm logo in this trailer?!

EternalHero, Alexrd, Samnz and 2 others like this.
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Same as The Phantom Menace 3D.

I probably won't see it in theaters, but I will certainly buy the Blu-ray. Not only for pure curiosity as a fan of Lucas' work, but also because it looks to be great demo material.

8. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Man, that was the logo they used for Menace 3D? Saw it in theaters and totally forgot. Nonetheless, I love it.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Strange indeed. I dug the double groan by the big guy at the end.

EternalHero likes this.
  10. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    The trailer has grown on me. Looks like it will be unusual & fun. Maybe a little too hyper, like Radioland Murders or More American Graffiti, but something different at any rate. GunganSlayer Lucas-haters would have no life without him. Within 24 hours of the TFA teaser someone made a version mocking GL . . . even though he did not write or direct TFA and isn't even a producer. These are people who will never accomplish anything noteworthy in their lives. The most successful Lucas-haters on earth are Simon Pegg (who makes crap like Paul and The End of the World) and Gary Whitta, who's only claim to fame is writing a SW spin-off. That's as high as they will ever climb. Sad.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Correction: He didn't write the screenplay, but he wrote the story. Still, even Willow and the new Strange Magic had more involvement from Lucas. Your point still stands. ;)

12. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    It doesn't look very good, in my humble opinion.

I probably won't see it.

13. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I believe I seen the trailer for this. It is an animated movie. I know Lucas is involved with it. It seemed like a good little movie for a young audience. The film is called Strange Magic. I saw the trailer on YT. But I got to say, reading the comments on it was absolutely disgusting. People are still riding the Lucas hate wagon big time! It is a shame that this man can't make anything anymore without being ransacked by haters.

EternalHero likes this.
  14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Mod action: Merging with existing Strange Magic thread

15. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    So this looks like a direct rip-off of the movie Epic

16. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

Wow am I tired of hearing this. Strange Magic was in development around the same time as Epic. And how is it a rip off? Leafmen aren't even fairies. It actually looks like it has nothing to do with Epic whatsoever, apart from both being CG animated movies.

17. lowell

lowell Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 11, 2014
    I guess Disney put this movie under the Touchstone Pictures label because they were probably afraid if Strange Magic sucked, no one would want to know how the Force Awakens is under the Disney label. But actually Touchstone is still part of Disney, it's where movies that Disney think they shouldn't release under their own name.

18. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    TV Spot:

Poster:

[​IMG]

19. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Nevermind

20. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm going to watch this...it's been too long since I seen a film that said "story by George Lucas"

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This movie seems to be released under the "Touchstone Pictures" banner and not the "Disney" banner (yes, I know Disney does own "Touchstone Pictures" and Lucasfilm so it is technically Disney). Any idea why they would put it out as "Touchstone" as opposed to "Disney"? Maybe because they inherited it from Lucasfilm and weren't involved from the ground-up, hence a not a "Disney" animated movie and all the baggage that would contain?

Also Evan Rachel Wood is even hot as a gat-damn fairy and on a BTS featurette.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's probably the case.

24. AniSkylover

AniSkylover Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 5, 2001
    Video interview with Evan Rachel Wood
    http://news.moviefone.com/2015/01/16/strange-magic-evan-rachel-wood-aol-build/

and quote from George Lucas...
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-george-lucas-isnt-making-more-star-wars-movies-2015-1?r=US

25. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    @BigAl6ft6: I don't know if it's similar, but I noticed that on some Studio Ghibli films, Disney has their subsidiaries (like Touchstone or Buena Vista) release the more serious Ghibli films--the ones that aren't G-rated. Even though Strange Magic looks like a kid's film, maybe that PG rating means it has some tense moments for the youngsters (the description is vague at just "scary images" and "action").

BigAl6ft6 likes this.