main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Essential Guide to Droids

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    I must admit that I have a quiet cheer to myself every time the name of a new Supreme Chancellor is revealed :). Hehe keep it up Dan, it's an in-joke that cannot be stopped now! At least 1 Supreme Chancellor per new publication from now on! That includes Insider articles :).

Or how about Who's Who in the Chancellory: Greatest Leaders of All Time :D

2. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    ...though I'm a little sad that that retcon didn't also take into account the shorter Bakuran year ;)

3. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Dan, I just got this book, and I [/i]love[/i] it. The quotes, the new droids, the implication of the origin of the Vong, I just love it.
    Out of curiosity though, if you showed the ZX-3's Blaster Box, why didn't the BL get one?

4. Daniel-K

Daniel-K Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2004
    Where does it say they live longer? it just mentions that they have organ replacement tech, not that the rest of the galaxy lacks it.

In fact the ROTJ novel implies Han is over 300, and the TPM novel has Dooku over 400. Both are retconned now, but still there. :/

I'm curious as to why the Tri-fighter didn't make the cut. Sure it probably would have gone in the NEGVV had it been out back then, but it wasn't. And by virtue of being in the movies, it certainly deserved the spot more then some of the more obscure entries there.

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    quotes on the implication please^^

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I haven't been able to pick this up yet, but the Vuffi Raa/Great Heep stuff sounds awesome - any other big developments I've missed? Is it too much to hope that there's a IG-88 Death Star retcon at last?

7. Coonsan

Coonsan Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 3, 2003
    I'm pretty sure it mentions it, but no change to what has already been established, could be my imagination though.

8. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    It says he uploaded his consciousness into the Death Star's core, making him a living superweapon. He perished when it was destroyed.

EDIT: On a related note, I recieved my copy today (thanks to Amazon, only two weeks late... :mad:) and I'm very impressed - not that I've got much further than the pretty pictures, though ;). Should keep the Wookieepedians happy for months.

9. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Now that's just odd. I got my copy from Amazon right on the official release date, and I only ordered it a few days before the release date. And the pretty pictures are nice, but they're only half the fun. :D

You are correct, sir! [face_dancing]

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In other words, no retcon. :_|

11. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Who doesn't love nice and new images ?:p

12. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    And don't forget the Guardian droid...

Dan

13. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Ironically, FIDO looks nothing like a dog :p

14. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Reading the Wookieepedia entry attached to that Guardian Droid link reminded me of the "Keen's grotto" easter egg I had put into the original Essential Guide to Droids, basically recognizable to no one but me. Keen's grotto is a real place, a scrunched passage deep within a network of caves in central Indiana. I went spelunking there with college roomates, one of the most unrelentingly miserable experiences of my life. In order to get through Keen's grotto, we had to lay on our stomachs and worm-crawl for what seemed like a football field... eventually the ceiling got so close to the floor that we had to take our helmets off and push them in front with our noses... eventually the ceiling got so close that we couldn't move forward unless we turned our heads sideways.

Guardian droid, where were you?

Dan

15. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Sheesh. I'm not excessively claustrophobic, and I get the shudders just thinking about that.

16. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    That sounds rather claustrophobic.....:(

Edit: Hmm, seems I wasn't the only who felt this

17. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Yeah, it always kind of bugged me too. As others have pointed out, I don't think it's ever been established what a normal human lifespan is in the SW universe, but the 160-year span in TAB (while probably very believable given GFFA tech) always struck me as too spacey to be easily relatable.

Dan

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    And of course, all 160 year olds are sent to the Near Death Star...[face_shhh]

19. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Unfortunately, there was already a half-decent retcon for that. The TAB sourcebook puts the Bakuran year at a bit over 80% of a standard year, turning 164 into a significantly more reasonable but still stretching it 136.

Unfortunately, 160 standard is now canon, but...*shrugs* maybe for a degree of cyborgization more advanced than Orn's?

20. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    That's a great idea! You have officially unleashed the Kraken.

Be careful what you wish for!

Dan

21. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Ah, you sound a bit like Davy Jones there, Dan :p

22. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    It's just me, but "local length of year" retcons always feel unsatisfying to me, because in a galactic society (unless you lived on a particularly isolated planet), it seems that you would mark time -- and even your birthdays -- using the galactic standard calendar.

Dan

23. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    See, I can see that's a lot easier for authors and all, but humans just don't work that way. If the time system they're given isn't useful in everyday life, they'll make one that is. If local day and night are a few hours shorter or longer than Coruscant time, people are not going to observe Galactic time time if it means having to go to work at local midnight every other week. I mean, if the day is dramatically longer or shorter they'll find some artificial way to cope because of human biology, and it obviously doesn't apply in artificial environments or very stubbornly by the book Imperial garrisons, but...we don't see people waking up at night.

Reminds me of a news story I once read about Uighers in far western China going "no, this is stupid" about having to observe (east coast) China time. It's sort of like expecting every country on Earth to observe GMT, only a million times more complicated than that.

Daily rhythms, yearly rhythms. The rhythms that matter to people, especially out in the boonies. I'm sure Uncle Owen cares more about "this harvest", and his primary acquaintance with the Imperial year is probably taxes. Even old Core worlds will have their traditions and old calendars. We know they do, at least Alderaan.

Could the Imps try and make everyone observe the Coruscant calendar? Is an official calendar needed for trading/taxes etc? Sure. But it'll be like Indian customer service people staying up late to talk to the Americans. The rest of the country/planet is going to use a schedule that makes sense for them.

24. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Where were the previous appearances of the Colicoid Annhiliator prior to its appeance in the NEGtD?

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Concept art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.