main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

New Essential Guide to Droids

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    And as if I wasn't obnoxious enough pointing out errors in this Essential Guide to Droids... [face_beatup] :p

After looking back through the old EGtD, [link=http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/9456/dsdroids2sn8.jpg]a bit[/link] of the Death Star Technical Companion, and the Last Command Sourcebook, there seem to be some retcons needed for the MN-2E maintenance droid.

Both the EGtD and TLCSb describe the same unit, with repulsors, multiple arms, Wastestream recycling unit, etc.---obviously the same droid. However, the DSTC says that the MN-2E has treads and specialized visual sensors; it is most likely the [link=http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8070/dsdroids2yh.jpg]topmost maintenance droid in this picture[/link]. So now we have two different kinds of MN-2Es, each with different attributes and appearances. [face_thinking]

But wait, there's more! Through a minor typo, the TLCSb description is actually describing the MN-2D. (Was that fixed when WEG came out with the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook? [face_thinking] ) Also, the TLC comic adaptation shows a completely different version of the clucking MN-2E maintenance droid, adding more mud to the waters.

This isn't a critical matter ( by any stretch of the imagination :p ), but some day it would be nice to have an explanation for the MN-mess. Just calling attention to it... O:)

2. modi

modi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2004
    The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook still has the MN-2D typo, and according to CUSWE, [link=http://www.cuswe.org/search.asp?t=MN2D&no=10&EandD=EyDn]MN2D[/link] appears in Adventure Journal #10.
    (Just note that you are insane. [face_whistling] )

3. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Crazy, not insane. [face_mischief] 8-}

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, it might not be a simple matter of efficiency. The Abominor, after all, are living machines. Many lifeforms go through stages where they show traits of earlier evolutionary forms (particularly while still embryos, hence the tongue-twisting saying "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny"). Perhaps the Abominor do the same? They begin life with earlier technologies like external combustion and electricity (hence the astromech draining socket), and only later on in their life cycle develop or absorb better energy sources such as internal combustion, nuclear fission, and eventually the fusion and/or annihilation technologies needed for elder Abominor to explore the stars and get into tiffs with the Silentium.

As for why Screed would be interested in the fuel ore, perhaps it was an extremely efficient sub-nuclear source of power that, since it wouldn't emit radiation, might have had applications (e.g. stealth) that even the small fusion reactors of Star Wars were unsuitable for.

5. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    oh, thats a MN-2E. I thought twas badly drawn NR-5

6. Charlii

Charlii Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Either I'm starting to get confused, or some images in this book are mirrored...
    For example the B2 has it's blaster on the left arm.

/Charlii

7. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Again, big thanks to Abel, because if he hadn't provided so much obscure reference material, most of the coolest retcons would never have taken place. [golfclap] Thanks Abel! [/golfclap]

Dan

8. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    That's a good theory, Ris_jSarek. Nicely put, too.

TC

9. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Me too, since I think I riffed on the theme at least three times: Goose droids forming a colony in the Chrellis system, Baron droids taking over Arzyd, and T3s forming street gangs. If there's a pattern to the repeated references, it's just to reinforce the idea of droids as self-aware, self-directed beings worthy of individual rights.

You're right. I didn't know much about [link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/M4-78]M4-78[/link] at the time, but agree it would have been cool to bring it more fully into canon.

Dan

10. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I'm in agreement with many here that the Emperor could probably have shut down IG-88 if the situation ever progressed to that level.

Dan

11. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Good point on the Invisible Hand. Regarding "shattering" in general, however, isn't transparisteel basically ... transparent steel? Therefore you could bend it and melt it, but probably not shatter it. Unless you had a supercooled cryo-cannon or something.

Dan

12. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    The E-5 was mentioned in the B1 battle droid entry.

Dan

13. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    That's ... amazing. That should be enough to earn you some kind of award.

Then again, speaking from a writer's perspective, I've just gotta say -- you see how easy it is to make unintentional continuity errors? :p

14. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Again, big thanks to Abel, because if he hadn't provided so much obscure reference material, most of the coolest retcons would never have taken place. [golfclap] Thanks Abel! [/golfclap] <<<

=D=

Now, to get the rest of the Marvel/Star Droids comics back into the mainstream... :D

And if you want to bug Abel, there is another possible depiction of the ANH homing device: the Homing Beacon from the Decipher CCG, Special Edition expansion set: (AFAIK, the only way to get it is a webarchive, so bear with me through the long link. :oops: )
    [blockquote]http://web.archive.org/web/20010711085112/http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/specialedition/dark/images/homingbeacon.gif[/blockquote]
    Though, its not actually shown on the Falcon, so it the only evidence linking it to the the discovery of the Yavin base is the quote. To further confuse things, a cropped image of the same homing beacon is used for the "Homing Sensors" upgrade in Galactic Battlegrounds---which, IIRC, improves the accuracy of missile weapons. o_O [face_thinking]

So, if you're not an Arcona, take it with a grain of salt. ;)

15. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Well, Coruscant's upper atmosphere is probably pretty cold.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 23, 2005
    And G0-T0s setting up their own little short-lived empire...

17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I'm in agreement with many here that the Emperor could probably have shut down IG-88 if the situation ever progressed to that level.<

*DJ Dan* SHUTDOWN! *DJ Dan* :p

TC

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Sweet.[face_peace]

19. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Mechnu Deru (if Maul knew that skill, it's a certain bet Palpatine would have known) would come in handy for those occasional when rascally droids try to make off with your new, planet smashing battlemoon.

20. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Good catch, and this is exactly the problem when trying to establish specific dates. (Which makes me wonder why I established a specific date for the LOM?)

Back during the first Essential Guide to Droids, I wrote up some sort of prequel-era timing for the introduction of Jabba's "tattletale" droid, only to rip it up and rewrite it when I realized that the droids were already around during Tales of the Jedi. You think I would have learned my lesson.

Dan

21. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Good catch on the discrepancy, but I mostly wanted to chime in and thank you for posting the link to that Death Star Droids spread. Aren't those great, old-school designs? I'm pretty sure that the designers of Super Star Wars and Super Empire Strikes Back built some of their enemies directly from the artwork on that spread -- the factory droid and worker droid look extremely familiar.

Dan

22. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    You can always [link=http://www.tinyurl.com]tinyurl[/link] it, e.g. [link=http://tinyurl.com/n4plk]http://tinyurl.com/n4plk[/link]

Thanks for the pic! It could certainly depict a common model of homing beacon, but not necessarily the particular beacon hidden aboard the Falcon -- as you pointed out, the only thing linking it to the Falcon is the Tarkin quote. Which doesn't have much binding authority once we start getting all retconny.

Dan

23. ki-adi-mundi1

ki-adi-mundi1 Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2006
    THE NEW DROID GUIE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have the weapons one and the charecters one i really want to get more!!!!

24. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It's already awesome. Look for it in your local bookstore.

25. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    That little ToTJ thing annoys me. :oops: I can believe that a droid design is a couple thousand years old, but that doesn't mean that I like it. Of course, I want someone to reference the gigantic Tattletale from Super Return of the Jedi, so I guess I'm not really one to talk about absurdity. :p

Indeed. Both the Factory Droid and the SPD-4R worker droid show up in the Mos Eisley spaceport level of Super Star Wars. A BT-16-like droid shows up in the Death Star detention block, and also during the assault on Echo Base in SESB. Those were great games---I hope someday someone brings a lot of those enemies into continuity. [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.