main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

New Essential Guide to Droids

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 23, 2005
    Perhaps the XX-23 is simply a specific type of transmitter, and not related to the shell it is mounted in?

I think it would be great if instead of just a New Essential guide to Planets and Moons, that it was evolved into an Essential Galactic Atlas. There seems to be a growing interest in the cartography of the GFFA, and major planets, sectors, ect could be highlighted. New hyperspace routes could be added, more trade lanes, all sorts of new planets and sectors, and there would be a lot of opportunities to refer to new events all throughout GFFA history.

2. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    ever since the Trekkies got a Star Charts book, I've thought we should have one!

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I want one of those! Unfortunately, I'd heard that it sold poorly, which was one of the reasons why we haven't seen more Trek reference books. :( (Wheres the Enterprise episode guide, I'd like to know?)

However, I think that such a book would sell much better under the Star Wars banner, though it may have to be reconfigured to fit the Essential Guide format.

TC

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't know, we really could use both. I know, we're not likely to get *two* geography-themed Essential Guides, but an updated Planets and Moons guide alone is rather necessary, far more than even the Droids book was.

On the other hand, I personally would *love* to see an atlas, with detailed maps the galaxy and of at least one or two dozen well-referenced sectors; that's been my fanboy dream since first seeing that map in the original Essential Chronology. Heck, Dan could even finally call that Coruscant sector map out of obscurity and get it out in the open. :) Unfortunately, I think Del Rey has probably done the market analysis on this concept by now, and the fact we don't have one probably shows what conclusion that analysis reached. :-(

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm a known cause of male pattern baldness... ;)

As for a new version of the EGtPaM, I too would prefer it to have lots of maps. Since the New Essential Guides seem to be a bit longer than the old ones, I'm sure there would be room for at least one galactic map, and possibly some smaller region maps too. Also, IMHO, it would be much better if it had actual drawn art for each planet, rather than computer-rendered stuff.

6. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The illustration of the Dark Trooper Phase III in the NEGtD is noticeably different from the schematics drawing of the Phase III (different visor, and upper legs seem to be entirely composed of cables)

7. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Yep, definitely. And I don't think it would be too difficult to move a space station. I'm thinking you'd only need a crew of industrial-sized hyperspace tugs, big versions of the tugs seen in games like TIE Fighter.

Dan

8. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Mighty Tug managed to tow away an entire research platform on it's own... ;)

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2005
    Fantastic volume. Even someone who wasn't a big Star Trek fan could enjoy it.

10. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I have really enjoyed the fact that the Star Charts book seems to be referenced by the authors of the more recent ST books, giving more of a consistency...although Tholia still seems to jump around! I would think a thorough SW Atlas might do the same for SW books. And placing important WEG worlds like Carosi, Celanon, Algara, etc., might provoke authors to include them in newer SW books, rather than just flipping through the EGPM and, more often than not, choosing planets not appropriate to the context, ie, putting CW battles on Wayland and Omwat.

11. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    It does work--Jude Watson's latest Last of the Jedi book included lots of stuff taken right from the NEGTD. So if it's printed in an Essential Guide, authors will include it...

TC

12. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I applaud Watson bc all her uses of NEGTD were intelligent and era-appropriate.

But the EG's have a downside if not used responsibly. Example, in a chat with a NJO author, it was asked why he depicted the NR fleet using MC80s and other ROTJ type ships rather than the newer vessels such as the Viscount, introduced in Vector Prime. He replied bc the MC80, not the Viscount, was in the NEGVV! There is such a thing as relying TOO much on them.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    IT's even worse when the EGs promote bad ideas, like the 8 or 12.4 Km Executor, or the armed, straight winged, side by side cockpitted K-Wing.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Of course---and that's pragmatic. A new entrant will only peruse the guides. I would have too. The guides themselves only show the most used stuff, as we know. We haven't seen any use of Star Defenders outside a single mention since Vector Prime, so NEGVV didn't show it.

Assault Cruisers, on the other bed, was indeed widely used.

15. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Sounds like a vicious cycle: authors usually tend to use ships that are in the Essential Guides, and the Essential Guides tend to only have the ships that authors commonly use.

16. Daniel-K

Daniel-K Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2004
    Any metal can be made to shatter, you just have to get them past their brittle fracture point. And as that is defined by the stress placed on it, they don't have to be supercooled or anything.

17. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    For example, when Elizabeth Hand mentioned a [link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fromm_Tower_Droid]Fromm Tower Droid[/link] in the Clone Wars in the 5th Boba Fett book. Simply doesn't work timeline-wise.

Part of why it's cool that the Old and New Essential Guides to Droids had so many obscure and original droids.

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's not perfect, but for writers new to the EU it's better than, say, wading through tons and tons of material.
    And don't forget that before the guides we had:
    a) unique creations that were never, ever referenced by any other author
    b) things from the movies being used in all situations, like Y-wings during the Jedi Purge or MC80 MonCal cruisers as main fleet vessels for the NR over a decade ABE.

NEGVV didn't do the first image of the K-wing, IIRC; the original Essential Chronology had an illustration of a battle in the Koornacht Cluster picturing them.

19. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Yeah, that was an oops. Just like her Dathomiri witches on Coruscant... [face_tired] :oops:

However, it might work. Do we have any really dates on when Tiggy created the Tower Droids? Or on his age, for that matter? It could be that his early success was selling tower droids to the Separatists. [face_thinking]

20. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    actually, we know Annoo-dat can live for hundreds of years

21. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, so apparently they were around at this time. The cartoons take place at 15 BBY anyway, so it's not that much of a stretch.

>Y-wings during the Jedi Purge<

Actually, that's pretty accurate--they were always described as older fighters; we should be seeing more of them in the Purge era.

TC

22. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Y-wings were apparently the main fighters used by in the defense of Belsavis 18 BBY, so they are old

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The only problem is that they really appear to be a name drawn out of a hat, considering that the Imperial starfighters in 18 BBY are not only TIE Fighters but Skipray Blastboats!
    No other sources have the Y-wings around that long, and the Essential Guide to Planets & Moons says that one of the first uses of the Y-wing was at the Battle of Vnas, which was set in the early Rebellion era.

24. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    I don't get why you guys mind the Y-wing being that old. We already knew it was old by the time the Rebels used it at Yavin...

25. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    So was the X-Wing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.