main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Essential Guide to Droids

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Weegee! YES!![face_dancing]

2. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Senator_Cilghal is right on the money with most of the source guesses.

Dan

3. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Juggernaut war droids are from two original sources, actually. I just had an email conversation with Abel about them a week ago.

They were first from the "Battle for Mandalore" article of Challenge 58, an unlicensed RPG game from 1992. In there, they were battle droids used by the Mandalorians in the Clone Wars.

They were first mentioned in a canonical source by Abel in his "Emperor's Pawns" articles, and were also mentioned in his "Droids, Technology, and the Force" article. But according to Abel, the Juggernaut droids in his articles are different from the original ones described in Challenge.

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    In other words, they're what Arden Lyn's arm comes from, and some Iron Knights have used them as their droid bodies.

5. finkman

finkman Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    Woo-hoo! I got it (thanks, walmart.com). Anyway, I've just started going through it, but so far, it's great! Happy to answer any questions (assuming such is permitted a week pre-release).

6. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Is there any detail, or images, of specific astromech droids - e.g, R2-D2, R4-P17, R4-G9, R5-D4 etc - or is the astromech section just an overview of the different models? Do we get images of all ten?

7. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I wonder if they could've sneaked in a Dalek :p

8. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    I know! Zim's war robot! I'M GONNA SING THE DOOM SONG!!!

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/10/Gir_sit.jpg/180px-Gir_sit.jpg]

Oh, no, wait, you mean Xim the Despot. Shucks....

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    What does the G2 droid entry say?

TC

10. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    And Vuffi Raa?

11. finkman

Apr 10, 2003
    Hey guys. So I'm at work right now (book's at home), and I've only had time to skim through it, but I'll do my best.

As to the R-series, it's a general write-up of the entire line (maybe 2-3 pages). The 3PO series gets a similar write-up. There ARE pictures of each of the R1 through R9s, so you can see what they all look like. I believe Artoo gets his own separate entry, however.

Can't recall anything about the G2. Sorry.

As for Vuffi Ra, I haven't read the entry, so I don't know what good bits might be in there.

All in all, this thing is great. I'm only about a Level 5 continuity hound myself, so I'm sure there's lots and lots of references that I don't fully appreciate. I really like the overall history of droids in the galaxy section. Also, my absolute favorite entry thus far is the Monster Droid. Oh man, that just made my night when I read that one (and really, when I saw the picture and realized what it was).

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As a reminder, we will not be allowing full text reprints for the specific entries (copyright and all and that seems "technically legal," if dodge-y, use of fair use so best to avoid altogether) but descriptions of the entries are fine.

13. finkman

Apr 10, 2003
    Thanks, dp4m. It's good to know the boundaries of what's kosher (although I have to confess, I can't ever see myself taking the time to actually re-type an entire entry...)

Anyway, someone asked about the G2, which I think is the same as the "goose droid," no? If so, then I only skimmed that one briefly, although it is cool that Star Tours is in canon now (or maybe it was before; I don't ever remember seeing it in print before). All I recall is something about Star Tours "closing its business shortly after the Battle of Endor" or something like that.

14. finkman

Apr 10, 2003
    OK, for those who asked, here are some tidbits, with spoiler space

Vuffi Raa:

- May be an agent of the Silentium, a droid species thought to have originated in another galaxy

- Silentium battled the Abominor, a droid society of "asymmetry and bedlam"

- Post- Lando trilogy, he returned to visit Lando on "a few" occasions

G2 "Goose Droid" a/k/a SoroSuub G2 Repair Droid

- Prone to excess chattiness

- A number achieved independent thought, developed wanderlust, and set up their own community in the Chrellis system

- G2-4T oversaw the labor pool, ticketing, and travel visas for Star Tours, although his cynical sense of humor often got him in trouble

- G2-9T was formerly owned by a Troig diplomat; he got in trouble with Star Tours, and he and G2-4T wound up working for Talon Karrde

Seriously, this is one of my favorite NEGs yet. SO much new info (or at least info I can't recall seeing). Good, good stuff.

15. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    Well, THIS is more than I was expecting.

16. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    That would make an awesome children's show.

17. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    The reference to Vuffi-Ra visiting Lando after the trilogy was over is a reference to the Dark Forces - Soldier for the Empire radio drama!

18. finkman

Apr 10, 2003
    Here's another cool bit (that I hadn't heard before):

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Recent evidence suggests that HK-47 survived into the Rebellion Era by transferring his consciousness into various systems. He emerged in a new body around the Battle of Yavin, and assembled an army of murderous droids on Mustafar. Coooooool.

19. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    Eh?

20. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    That's from Galaxies, actually. Although I believe the fact that he transferred himself and it isn't his original chassis is new.

21. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >- G2-4T oversaw the labor pool, ticketing, and travel visas for Star Tours, although his cynical sense of humor often got him in trouble<

Yes, he basically just called out "Hey! Do you folks have all your visas, passports, and tickets? Great!" :p

Awesome, awesome stuff. I can't wait to get the guide. :D

Hey, any references to the Lost City of the Jedi droids?

TC

22. finkman

Apr 10, 2003
    Any idea on names? Otherwise, I can flip through and check...

23. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    OK, so what's this about Vuffi being in some audio version of Soldier for the Empire?

24. finkman

Apr 10, 2003
    Here's another cool little fact:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Re the Manta Droid Subfighter (from the CW cartoon): A number of them stayed behind on Mon Cal and formed their own community. They formed a loose alliance with the Quarren and hunted ocean predators in exchange for repairs and ammo.

25. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    In the Dark Forces radio drama, Lando (after meeting Kyle aboard the Star of Empire) says "come along, Vuffi." Which, up until now, was odd as the storyline takes place within a year before the Battle of Yavin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.