main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Fanfilm: Star Wars Imperials

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Lord_Darth_Angelus, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Lord_Darth_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    This is what happens when you find yourself missing Rebels after season two finished, make a fan film that explores the other side of the Galactic Civil War!

This is just the reveal trailer, the film itself is still in production. The opening scenes were submitted as part of this year's Fan Film Contest. Not sure I made it in to that, looks like they're going for comedy videos this time. Nothing wrong with that and I'm still going to continue making this thing as I've been itching to get back into Star Wars fanfilms for the last year or so but other projects have kept me busy.

Here are a couple of stills:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blackhole E Snoke and TimmerWeb like this.
  2. Kievan Mereel

Kievan Mereel Jedi Padawan

Jun 24, 2015
    I like how you set the scene to match the TIE Fighter cutscenes! It fits in with how Rebels has been mining EU fodder, especially those PC games which are set in the same era. It's cool to see the other side explored.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  3. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Apr 15, 2005
    Thankyou! I'm glad someone noticed what I was doing there with TIE Fighter. That game has so many good memories for me and is a huge part of the inspiration behind this fanfilm. And Rebels :)

If you liked that, check out the full trailer that I've just released as well :)

4. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Interesting! I look forward to watching the completed film.

5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Lord_Darth_Angelus Yeah, It looks really great. Is that the Ortana? I loved that ship in X-wing: Alliance. You've recreated the look of that game's cut scenes perfectly.^:)^

6. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Apr 15, 2005
    Thankyou! I'm glad you're both looking forward to this.

The Otana was a great ship to fly, so I really wanted to include one in this story. There are a lot of references to those games in the film, I'm glad they're being recognised even before it's released :D

Here's a behind the scenes video talking about some of the motion capture I'm doing for the film.

A closeup of the YT-2000

[​IMG]

And because I'm doing motion capture for the film...

[​IMG]

7. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Apr 15, 2005
    At last I have something to share!

So, late last year I was given access to the latest version of the animation software. That means a huge improvement on rendering quality, but it also meant I couldn't share anything I created with the software until it was released to the public. That time has come and so I've released a new trailer!

The film itself is almost complete, just a few finishing touches left to go. I'm excited to finally be able to show what I have been working on for so long.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Apr 15, 2005
    At last! The film is complete and uploaded!

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    I had completely forgotten about this project. Just happened to come across the finished movie while browsing YouTube this week (I hate how hidden away this section of the forum is).

I have to say this is my favourite Star Wars fanfilm. I just love all the Legends stuff it references, the TIE Fighter/X-Wing Alliance/Jedi Knight visual style of animation but with added motion capture and facial expressions works really well. Thrawn looks amazing. The story could easily be a new addition to the official Legends universe.

It really deserves waaay more publicity and views.

10. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Apr 15, 2005
    Why thankyou! This is high praise indeed and exactly what I was aiming to achieve. Please do share the film, the more people watching it, the more I'm encouraged to work on a follow up.

Speaking of which, I have just released a mini sequel, set shortly after Imperials concludes.

Unlike Imperials where I only motion captured action sequences (walking, conversations etc were mostly stock animations), here every single character animation was performed by myself in my living room. I wanted to give this film a unique look and I think I succeeded. Enjoy! :D

11. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Great work once again. Stormburn sure does like flying though exploded ship debris lol. It's a good thing she has shields on her TIE Defender. The motion capture is good (I liked how she moved out of the way for the mouse droid), but there is a floaty jitter that I didn't notice in Imperials. I noticed it on her hand too with her thumb dancing around disjointedly at one point.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  12. Lord_Darth_Angelus

Apr 15, 2005
    Yeah, I was curious how noticeable that slight floatyness was so left it in. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of it though!

Trivia, when she stepped out of the way of the mouse droid, that was actually me stepping around my couch :D