main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Forbidden Planet Written By JMS

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hollwyood Reporter article

J. Michael Straczynski, the writer of the Clint Eastwood-directed "Changeling," is penning a long-in-the-works update of sci-fi classic "Forbidden Planet" for Warner Bros. Joel Silver is producing via Silver Pictures.

Warners picked up the project on the down-low earlier this year. As late as last year, it was set up at DreamWorks with David Twohy attached to direct. Prior to that, New Line had it. James Cameron, Nelson Gidding and Stirling Silliphant have been associated with the remake over the years.

While CAA-repped Straczynski is generating some heat for "Changeling," he is better known for his sci-fi and comic book work. He created TV shows "Babylon 5" and "Jeremiah," and worked on "Ninja Assassin" for Silver and the Wachowski Brothers.

AICN Elaborates

Today, we have additional info that indicates this is not so much a "remake" as a complementary piece to the Fred M. Wilcox/Cyril Hume classic.

JMS corrects other details from AICN

That report is totally incorrect. It's not going to be retro, and it's not going to be a continuation. When Altair 4 blows up, it blows up. I have, however, found a way to honro the original movie without in any way besmirching it in order to do this iteration. Once folks find out what we're actually going to do, I think they'll be most pleased.

Forbidden Planet remains one of my favorite films of all time, and I wouldn't even think about doing this project if I didn't think there was a way to do it that would not in any way diminish the original...which is why this is the the first development in years to actually get to the script stage. Everybody involved is very excited by the approach.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Nice! Forbidden Planet is an iconic sci fi film. I look forward to what JMS does with it.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, hopefully he's had long enough to do something good. When he's rushed, or is writing more than he planned, the results are... B5 season 5, all B5 movies following, B5: Crusade, and a bunch of utter tripe. Babylon5 was something he'd been working on for a very, very long time, and it was (up until the end of Season4) extremely good.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Crusade's shortcomings were the result of the network. And, really, it was no worse than B5: Season 1 (likely reflecting JMS not writing as many episodes in both cases).

5. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Well, once again, I'm hearing news of an ICONIC 1950's era Sci Fi movie being remade or continued. We have had War of the Worlds, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Creature of the Black Lagoon has alot of rumors floating around and now this. Damn. I just can't stomach The thought of a CGI Robby the Robot. I don't know what I think of this.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    In all fairness, War of the Worlds was an iconic (and historic) radio program before it was remade as a film, as well as an iconic novel before it was remade as a radio program.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm interested in this. Forbidden Planet is one of those films that is very, very good, but could have a good modern version of it.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I shouldn't be surprised that this is being done after hearing of The Day The Earth Stood Still remake.

On general princple of loving the originals I didn't want to see them redone, but I can't resist seeing them either. :D :D

9. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    ^^ Me too. I just have to see them to see what kind of stuff they stayed true too.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I don't know how they are going to to Disney's special effects though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.