main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub New Jedi Order / Legacy of the Force Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Adalia-Durron , Jul 3, 2007.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What makes Anor unique is how he fits or rather doesn't fit within his own culture. Most of the Yuuzhan Vong are devoutly religious-Anor is an atheist, most of the Yuuzhan Vong are technophobes, Anor has no issue using technology(even a blaster at one point) to suit his needs, most Vong are obedient to authority and are fearless to the point of death, Anor is rather cowardly and has contempt for his more fanatical superiors like Tsavong Lah, most Yuuzhan Vong are content with or at least don't bother to increase their social standing, Anor ultimately aims to rule-that was the whole point of his creation of the Je'daii heresy and his attempts at gaining Shimmra's favor and ingratiating himself at the Vong court with the vong upper echelons.

He's a very Littlefinger esque character in that regard.

In a vacuum-sure he fits the cynical schemer archetype, it's just that among the Yuuzhan Vong such an archetype doesn't really exist.

What makes Anor is interesting is the contrast between how he is and operates and the society of which he is apart.

2. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Apt description, actually.

I agree with Adalia, though...never liked any of the Vong. I could understand why they might want to take over a system or two to gain lebensraum for their people. But an entire galaxy? Seemed a bit much.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  3. Khalia Octa

Khalia Octa Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 2018
    I might just pop in here every now and then! :p
    I'm currently reading NJO and just finished Dark Journey. So good!! I loved how they portrayed Jaina, and that the story focused on her more than other characters. You don't see that in many of the other books like Dark Journey did it. I can't wait to see how this whole Trickster thing goes too ;)

And with your discussion of the Vong, I kind of get their motives, as in taking a galaxy for their gods and using people for sacrifices. (They kind of remind me of the Aztecs, taking over people groups and sacrificing enemy warriors) I guess they're taking over a galaxy rather than just a couple of planets to make the story more, urgent? Something like that, if it was only a few planets, the threat probably wouldn't be as immediate. Sure the New Republic would do something about this, but it wouldn't seem like an all out war.

Also, what are the ranks on the first post for?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Now I want to see Aidan Gillen play Anor if they ever made an NJO adaptation.

SiouxFan and PCCViking like this.
  5. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    I think someone joked before that Ganta Omega could have been Nom Anor, due to being a void in the Force. Haha

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Regarding Vong conquest-it's important to remember that the worldships are not going to live forever-and Vong society was starting to turn on itself before Shimmra launched his coup.

Apparently Onimi believed that it was now or never-invade and conquer or perish.

In terms of whether conquering the whole galaxy was necessary-maybe not-but the inhabitants of the GFFA would have resisted any Yuuzhan Vong state being formed-and Vong religion itself mandated conquest instead of say colonization.

So a war of galactic conquest was inevitable once one takes into account both how the GFFA government's and populations would react to any Vong incursion and the Vong's own religious and political ideology demanding conquest. Anything less would have been seen as either cowardice or rejecting the will of the gods.

7. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    True. But the Shamed Ones did the right thing, right? I mean, if it hadn't been for their help, the whole galaxy would have been screwed.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  8. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Even in-universe, the history of 'all-conquering' entities is pretty bleak...they all fail at some point. We obviously don't know much about the Vong history, but I find it hard to believe that whatever galaxy they came from would be different on that point.
    I agree with the first point...they were doing the right thing. In my view, though, their impact was relatively minor. Would've the galaxy been screwed without the Shamed? I don't think so...the GFFA would've won anyway. It is almost impossible to subdue/kill an entire galaxy of people who are resisting.

SkywalkerShine likes this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    We don't know the details of Vong history-assuming it's accurate though we do know the general outline.

1. The Ur-Yuuzhan Vong lived in harmony with their homeworld Yuuzhan'tar and each other having a connection to the force.
    2. Two warring droid species-the Abominor and the silentium eventually had the Vong caught in their crossfire.
    3. To fight off the droids their homeworld provided weapons and ships.
    4. The Vong drove off the droids from their own Galaxy.
    5. The Vong started conquering other species and civilizations within their own Galaxy(this process had likely alreadybegun during the war against the droids).
    6. Through conquest, enslavement and likely countless genocides the Vong ruled their Galaxy-though their actions and the darkness of the force around and within them caused Yuuzhan'tar to cut them off from the force-think Ulic Qel Droma on a mass scale.
    7. This caused species wide trauma and pain-and the only way the Vong knew to go back to what they had was through pain.
    8. The Vong eventually fought a civil war between differing war masters-we know of Steng and Yo'Gand-there were likely others-those two were the final contenders.
    9. The Vong Galaxy was so devastated that they had to leave their Galaxy and find a new one.

A few things we can glean from this include-the Vong Galaxy must have been at war with itself for a long long time, the Vong themselves likely bore a lot of responsibility for wrecking their own Galaxy, and that a warlike nature and impetus for conquest stretches back to the founding of the "modern" Vong civilization.

This means that war with the GFFA was largely inevitable once the Vong leadership decided that it was the right choice for conquest.

DarthJaceus and SkywalkerShine like this.
  10. SkywalkerShine

Aug 16, 2007
    That actually make sense. I've gotta re-read the books since it's been a while. I haven't had time due to work and life. But yeah, I do remember seeing info about the Vong from Wookiepedia and YouTube. Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah it's scattered throughout the books and such-but by the end of the series the Vong's history is relatively easy to understand.

SkywalkerShine likes this.
  12. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
  13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Nice pic @Adalia-Durron
    Now matter Disney and their new canon do, for me these characters will always be my Skysolo family.

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Same, this came up on my facebook feed and the person (a board member - former I think) said "This will always be teh Star Wars story for me" and I have to agree. Whilst I do love the movies, its like they are all someone's imagination........this was real.

Khalia Octa and Anedon like this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah it's the real Star Wars for me as well.

Anedon likes this.
  16. Khalia Octa

Jun 23, 2018
    Love that pic!! Definitely my canon :p Still sad that a Disney scrapped it.
    Legends seems more realistic - even with galaxy invasions and mass destruction weapons - the characters intentions seemed more believeable. And I did love seeing the Solo and Skywalker family, Luke deserves someone [face_love];)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    So glad you found the Legend Khalia!! A whole new world!!

Anedon and Khalia Octa like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I am considering doing a re-read through of the NJO.

Anyone want to join me? As a... monthly discussion, per book?

19. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006
    Ooh I'm very interested in that. If I can fit it around my other book club haha.

Sinrebirth and Khalia Octa like this.
  20. Khalia Octa

Jun 23, 2018
    I would, but I'm reading it for the first time now, so yeah ;)

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd be happy to join.

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [​IMG]

Sisiter in law @GoddessJainaSoloFel was at Costco getting food and fuel and spotted this tonight..........

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    19 years since Vector Prime was released

24. Warrior_Goddess

Warrior_Goddess Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2006
    That long?! Wow lol

Khalia Octa likes this.
  25. DarthJaceus

DarthJaceus Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2016
    I'd be happy to join you on that @Sinrebirth . I only need Balance Point, Star by Star, Traitor, Destiny's Way and I'll have the full set.

Khalia Octa and Sinrebirth like this.