main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN New Jedi Order--Who's going to die?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Salacious_Crummy, Dec 13, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salacious_Crummy

Salacious_Crummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    It says in this article http://starwars.com/episode-i/features/shapiro/ on the official site that it is rumored that a certain character is going to be killed off? Does anyone know who it is? Any guesses?

I would guess Corran Horne. I thought the "NJO:eek:nslaught" books were kind of headed that way, but it didn't happen. But I read some rumors a long time ago that Stackpole was going to quit writing SW so he was going to kill his character off.

Interesting article though anyways.

2. RogueNine

RogueNine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2000
    NO! It can't be Corran Horn!

Maybe you're right though, SC. I also heard that Mike Stackpole was going to stop writing SW novels -- and when that happens, a major character dies.

3. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Callista? Fey'lya?

Okay, maybe that's just wishful thinking...

4. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    Anyone have any ideas on who the authors originally wanted to kill off before they were informed not to?

My guess is Leia. She's a major character, but doesn't drive much story anymore (like Luke and Han still do). Plus her death would touch many people - Han, Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, Luke...

5. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    Finally! I got a *!!!

The St Louisans, Chicagoans and South Benders are way ahead of me though!

6. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Finally we 'Benders are getting the recognition we deserve. :)

I don't think that Corran horn will be killed. If you have kept up on Stackpole, you know that he has already stopped writing for SW. They can't kill his character without him, which is why he pulled Corran out of action at the end of his last book.

They would never kill Leia because that would send Han into overload and he would go out and kill himself. As a fan, I'm already sick of him mourning Chewiee's death.

Either way, I don't think they will kill any more of the Original characters in this series. Otherwise the series as a whole would start to be bashed by fans.

I would look for some of the less important characters to die...some Ryn, Viqi Shesh, Fey'la, or possibly some other character that they build from the ground up.

7. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, I'm troubled by the thought of a character dying, b/c, just as in real life, you don't want anything bad to happen to people that you like. And I don't want to lose any of my favorite characters, whether they be my fav villains, hero/ine(s), or just good folks.

But at the same time, as long as the death of the character serves a purpose and is a cool death, I'm probably ok with it. The more important the character is, the more care needs to be taken in the manner the character is eliminated. If Wedge Antilles were to die in some skyhopper accident on Coruscant or something, that would just be stupid.

That's my 2 cents.

8. Salacious_Crummy

Dec 2, 2000
    Mara, I agree with you! They should bring back Callista just to kill her off! That would be soooo great!!! :)

9. Salacious_Crummy

Dec 2, 2000
    What if they killed off one of the two droids, R2 or 3P0. I could see the Vong destroying one of those two with their hate of technology. My guess of the two it would be Artoo, because like Chewbacca, it would be easier for them to kill him off since he doesn't speak (basic) and has not had much of a role at all in the EU.

10. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Corran cannot die. I will not let it happen! Yes, I do have magical powers to get my way. Would they just make a card for the guy and kill him? Granted, the card sucks.

11. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Ya know.....I haven't seen one name mentioned here that could be a good, if not a totally crappy choice, to kick it - Wedge. Granted, I don't want any more taken out, but I do think that the Vong are gonna HAVE to erase another big name from the SW universe. Leia - no way. Han would become an IMPOSSIBLE character if he lost both his best friend and wife. Double goes for any of the Solo kids. Luke/Mara - too damn important. Maybe Mara, but Mara has so much to give SW that I don't think her. The droids are possible choices. Fit in well with the whole "Vong hate technology" story. But I think more 3PO than R2. R2 is too much a hero in disguise to lose him.

Just my thoughts on this. Hope none of it comes true, but I'd be a fool to think that only Chewie will lose his life in this struggle.

12. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    NO WAY! Not Wedge. I'd severely disagree with letting him go. I personally think Wedge is a great character. A different type of person from a lot of the other males in the SW universe. Cautious and thoughtful but able to act quickly on having reached a decision. And after Luke and Mara, the love relationship in SW that most interests me is that of Wedge and Iella.

Wedge's character has too much depth to lose. Lose a character with less definition, a more flat character. I still say R2 would work. Altho he has been a hero, his personality is not deep as far as having many multiple levels. He's an extremely capable, and possibly sentient, droid that has learned/been taught Rebel values. So what? And keep in mind, I LOVE R2. One of the best characters in the whole thing. I just don't think he moves the plots that much.

13. RogueNine

RogueNine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2000
    I wouldn't mind seeing C-3P0 die or be distinegrated (sp?), even though it's a main character, quite like Chewbacca.

I find C-3P0 to be even more annoying than Jar Jar (who'll probably die off in one of the next two Episodes). Don't get me wrong, I love C-3P0 just as the next person does. Artoo must a keeper though.

As for Wedge, I would rather see him become old and grey like Gen. Jan Dodonna. Even though he likes to fly dangerous missions rather than take a plushy higher-up job, he probably won't die. If he does, it better be of natural causes then.

Other people/aliens to think about: Mon Mothma, Admiral Ackbar, Lando(?), Tycho Celchu. I haven't read the New Jedi Order series yet, so if any of these people/aliens have died, forgive me.

14. Salacious_Crummy

Dec 2, 2000
    I also think Wedge could die. He hasn't been in the NJO books very much.

By the way, I do not want any character to die of natural causes in the SW books, especially the pilots and heroes of the Rebellion. If they die, they should go out fighting!

I don't want to someday read:
    CORRAN: "Oh by the way Luke, did you hear last night Wedge passed away in his sleep."
    LUKE: "Oh, that's too bad."

How boring!

This is fantasy, and as such, I think nobody should have a regular death that deserves something more interesting. And by something more interesting I don't mean a planet's moon crushing them. That was too over the top for me.

15. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    Okay, I hope Wedge survives. However, if his death knell is to sound, I agree with Crummy... he MUST go down fighting, and take a good share of the enemy down with him.

Wedge is my hero, out of all the myriad SW characters. He will not go quietly, if he must go at all....

Thom

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Nah, it should be Kyp. Have him go out in a blaze of glory fighting off hundreds of Vong on Yavin or something.

Failing that...maybe Viqi Shesh.

17. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    So far Kyp is a huge ass (I'm only part way through Jedi Eclipse, hopefully that'll change). I wouldn't want him to die because that would elevate him to the level of martyr.

18. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    You are correct on both parts, seniorita Femme. Kyp's still a huge oraface all the way through the series. If he were to die, he would just be put in the same place as Miko and Wurth. That angle has already been played, so I'm really interested to see what will happen to Kyp. Will he have a heart-to-heart with Luke and change his ways? I would love to see Luke and Kyp have a lightsaber duel. :) Maybe I'm just sick, but I would love to see the old master put the hotshot in his place.

...Sorry...I've got some pent up aggression about this issue ;)

19. Bobafemme

Nov 25, 2000
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Wurth dies?????

I would love to see Luke put Kyp in his place. Or Jaina, or anyone.

20. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Yeah, let's have Luke stop being such a pussy and take some definitive action for a change, stop letting the Republic and the rogue Jedi Knights and his nephew Jacen and everyone else step all over him, disrespecting him the way they do, and start kicking some butt..... ummmm, excuse me. Sorry. Bye.

21. Bobafemme

Nov 25, 2000
    I know you probably mean well, but....

Stop spoiling

I have yet to read a NJO book withoug someone telling me of a person dying, planet decimations, or key plot twists being exposed. I specifically mentioned that I am not finished with Jedi Eclipse.

Phil brought this up earlier, and I would like to gently remind people, that we need to be mindful of spoiling. Please head your message with SPOILER or something eyecatching of that nature. I am exasperated and ready to give up reading NJO.

22. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Good point, Femme. I didn't notice that someone (who will remain nameless) did mention a major part of a book. Be mindful of what you say, folks. Some people don't have the time to read as fast as others.

To digress, though, I'd like to be a jag and tell everyone that Darth Vader IS Anakin Skywalker. And that Darth Vader is Luke's father. Plus, Luke and Leia are brother and sister. Now THAT'S some spoilage! :)

23. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    I agree with bobafemme. One of the many reasons I don't read the NJO books. So many spoilers here and the internet, you almost don't have to read the book. That and I don't get out much.

24. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    I'd like to echo what was already said. Please put SPOILER before any spoiler reference. Furthermore, spoilers should best be in their own thread (or ample space following spoiler announcement) so someone doesn't inadvertently read it in a thread they're already following.

I know it's easy to slip up on this board, especially when discussing the books! I mean, I think it's safe to assume we've all seen the movies at least 25 times, but not all of us have read all the books. So while it's easy to goof, try to be mindful of others and precede discussion with something like "SPOILER - Heir to the Empire" or "SPOILER - Jedi Eclipse", etc.

Most of us probably have been inadvertently guilty of this at one time or another, so I'm not singling out anyone in particular. Just we should all be considerate of others and try to be careful.

25. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

Nov 27, 2000
    Also, pleased to meet you, DarthBoba!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.