main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC New leadership required time for Nominations

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TR0773, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    Alright lads and ladies LISTEN UP!! Rani and Derisa have disapeared off the Fan Force sight.

Fant oif life!
    Real life must be overwhelming them with, kids, horses, work, can't say it doesn't happen it does.

No hard feelings just a fact of life, and face it they managed to keep the forum alive, and they did attempt to try and bring us together, but this is BC where real life takes more of our time then in other places, face it there is just to much to do around here.

For those of us who are up for a challenge I would like to put forward a call for nominations to the now obviously vacant position of CR for the Victoria Fan Force group.

I talked to Crazy Mike about what's all involved in the job and he has yet to reply, with that said and me pushing for new leadership expect him to reply to this thread!

REMEMBER For interested persons this is a hobby not a job, no one expects you to glue your eyes to the monitor 24/7 BUT I would like you to keep in mind a few thoughts.

This is a site designed for all ages, a community forum, "The licensed officialy recognized FAN club" don't forget to include the kids! If you want an adult site, join the 501st or Rebel legion (unofficial), this area is suppose to attract the kids and adults interested in the SW universe.

You have to be a Star Wars News guru, if Uncle George sneezes you gotta tell us, so we know what Kleenex he uses! So we can go out and buy it too.
    Keep it interesting suggest topics of interest SW Toy collecting, links, hints, whats in stores whos got the scoop etc. Just an example; me I got about 6 Black clone pilots comin and I'm not too sure what to do with em all suggestions?
    Don't be afraid of the other groups, were here! we are members here too! We'll help if you want it. We'll stay back if you want us too (just tell me politely).
    Basically communicate and keep us informed of the SW universe every now and then.

So who wants the job!

note. This message is my expression and view of expectations I have, for this group and no one elses, I don't expect all my expectations to be met, but I would like my own personal silent opinion of this site improved, I have a small interest in the position but I'd like Crazy Mike to tell me more, and I already am the CO of the Outerrim Squadron commander in BC. I do recommend another member be nominated for the position.

These are my thoughts and as per Imperial Standards, if you don't like it fine, stand next to the wall and me and my troopers will blast you!

nuff said

Randy

2. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, as you quite rightly say, since the need for new leadership has become apparent - it's just one of these things, too, as you point out....one o' the vagaries of life....no biggie. :) I will step up, and hereby throw my proverbial hat (well, my Roots "poorboy" cap, to be precise) in the ring....I would quite like to take on this opportunity, to see what can be done with it....it would, indeed, be my pleasure. :) And certainly, what you mentioned above - the stipulations, if you will - would be absolutely no problem, far as I'm concerned....in fact, I'd quite look forward to it! :D

Dawn.

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Wow... somebody who hasn't posted on the Victoria board in nearly 2 years wants to be CR...

4. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Now, now, let's not speak so....no reason to be getting tetchy there, m'dear. There was in the past reason for that - but from where I am standing right now, and it is as Randy rightly said - that is all past, then....so let us move on to bigger and better things, and to the prevalent matter here. No snippiness required, methinks.... After all, the matter stands thusly, it seems to me: Randy broached the subject, asked if anyone wished to take the reins, to rekindle that former fire to genuine life....and that's what I thought I should do - because, of course, that is what one does, when one cares....one speaks up about it. Ergo, me throwing my cap in the ring. :) Whatever might have come before is something upon which there is no point dwelling....what lies before us *now*, the promise of a bright fannish day, is what matters....as Randy, again, rightly spoke of. :)

Dawn.

5. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    Right since many of us are ADULTS I obviously left out the part about past problems with the former authority, thought we were all mature enough! With that said bad feelings or problems that existed with the former CR are no longer relevant and worthy of post, bad blood should be considered evaporated, and everyone should be looking forward to the future not bringing up the past, also for the kids sake leave the politics out! It has no place in this forum, this is a place that should be kid oriented with interesting topics, a place that will bring the lurkers out of the shadows and encourage positive input in the SW universe, keep to the focus "NOMINATIONS!" so far we got one! It's come from someone who has come out of the shadows, and this encourages others to come out too! Let's make this forum a brighter place.

If you take this message personally then your obviously feeling guilty or taking it in the wrong context... consider yourself chastised.

Randy

6. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    A hearty and most enthusiastic "Word!" to all that....very much agreed with everything you've said, and thank you. :D "We must look...beyond!" to quoth Professor Trelawney....or, at least....we must look forward, higher, with the promise of a bright and happy, positive fandom future. Sounds like only the best possible thing to me! :)

Dawn.

7. NessaSolo

NessaSolo Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    I think it's great that you are trying to revive the boards. It's unfortunate that the last few attempts at meeting failed, and that the posts have been less than frequent. I will support anyone who is offering their time and effort to keep Victoria going. And just because you haven't been active in the past doesn't mean you can't put your heart into it now. So thank you to anyone who volunteers for the position (Randy and Dawn!).

:)

8. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *hugs and much love to Nessa* Very well said, and thank you, sweetie! Oh, you're a peach, truly. :)

Dawn.

9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    First things first Randy I did reply to you which you veiwed almost a week later. I can reforward the pm to you if you like. The bottom line is that chapter members vote for their CR. There has to be enough interest and some meetings for the members to discuss the situation. I would like to see the people who are interested in maintaining a FanForce chapter here to step forward and speak up. I want to see someone who can bring this group together. They will require the support of the chapter members here.

It is not a question of who wants the job it is who can earn the trust and respect of this group.

10. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    What Indigo said had nothing to do with politics. It is a completely valid point that someone who hasn't posted in our boards for over 2 years wants to be our representative. Any bad blood between Dawn and Rani has nothing to do with that. Whatever her reasons for not posting, she wasn't posting. I don't think it is realistic for her to be CR considering the circumstances.

11. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Indeed Alakin, Indigo has done more than anyone to try and keep this chapter afloat.

12. Dango

Dango Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2004
    I put my support behind either Randy or Haruwindsong. Although Haruwindsong hasnt nominated herself yet, I belive both these individuals would do the best job as they seem to be the two people blowing most of the life into these boards without Derissa or Rani.

13. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Who was being tetchy or snippy?

Like Mike and Alakin said, a person who is going to be the Chapter Representative of a FanForce group should be representative of the group. I think I would know more than all of you what the requirements of a Chapter Rep are... ;)

Somebody, for whatever reason, who hasn't been to a FanForce event nor posted on the FanForce board in nearly two years really wouldn't fit that description...

I was only stating a simple fact, not using "politics" or snippyness.

Indy

14. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks Mike, but I think that honor has to go haruwindsong, Dango, and all of Edmontooine as well... ;)

So a round of =D= for them... and maybe a [:D] too... :)

15. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Wow.... Is this what I should have expected to happen when I expressed an honest, earnest, genuinely caring and willing desire tohelp out, after Randy had nicely broached the subject in his initial post....? It does seem as though a great many people prefer to focus on the past, instead of willingly and happily looking forward to the future as something new, and open, and full of all sorts of good possibilities.... The suggestion was made that the past should be left in the past, sinc it need have no bearing on what should be a hopeful and positive future; it is a shame, therefore, to see this apparent determination to unduly and negatively harp upon that very same past....which, intrinsically, need not be of further consequence. Very, very unfortunate, to be sure, when as Nessa said - and I thank her for stating it quite forthrightly - the priority should well be on a *positive* focus, and on looking to the future - and to what can be accomplished in only the best of ways.

Done is done, past is past, as has been said....so precisely why is it, I would wonder, that certain individuals or factions (or what have you) apparently wish to take this down a negative road....that, I do not understand. It seems quite clear to me, after all, that such was certainly *never* Randy's intention; he only meant to do a good thing here, the right thing....he wanted to help re-kindle the fires....and that's a perfectly understandable and justifiable way to feel. As did I, to be sure....so precisely how and why it is that my own good, hopeful, positive intentions in that regard have become the focus of such negativity and criticism, if not outright condemnation - that, I can hardly compass. I'm not sure that I would wish to, either, for I do find it genuinely distressing....takes one most severely aback, to be sure. Seems a very unfortunate state of affairs, perhaps, when a person's good intentions, hopes and positive energies are misconstrued in such eggregious fashion....very sad, indeed.

Honestly....do you think all this is truly necessary, or warranted....? Tch, now....

Dawn.

16. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Quite honestly, I don't see where anybody has even mentioned the "past" in their posts.

If they have, please quote it.

Everybody who has commented has commented on your "current" lack of qualifications (other than volunteering) to become CR. Nobody has mentioned any of your "past" conflicts with the group. In fact, YOU are the one who brought it up, and YOU are the one who keeps mentioning it...

Either way, this is taking away from the real purpose and intended focus of this thread.

17. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Tch, there....but you were in fact being snippy and a bit untoward in your phrasing, your displayed attitude or sentiments there, m'dear....so sorry to say, but it's true. But there really is no need to be coming across in such a fashion, and thus I'm sure that you'll endeavour to avoid being tetchy or coming across in snippy fashion from here on in....because it is in fact an apparent thing - perhaps more so than you might have realized, but that's all right. Just so long as it's quite clear that there need never be any call for such a thing....and, after all, I'm fairly certain that it was certainly never the intention with what was originally broached here. Surely, after all, it is quite clear now that snippiness does not help matters....and I'm glad you see that, and thank you, dearie. Much appreciated....

Dawn.

18. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Actually I was being concise. There is a difference.

I really didn't want to get into this... but...

You just posted a couple posts ago a 2 paragraph explaination about how you feel wronged and hurt by people bringing up the past. I then say:

So, I guess I will have to be snippy and ask you to Post Proof Or Retract instead of changing the subject. Let's deal with one issue at a time.

19. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    You know I have read the last few posts and there is obviously interpretation and miscommunication in the topic conversations, so let's keep this focused.

Politics I was not pointing out anyones particular past history I focused on the fact that since this chapter is suppose to appeal to kids and grown ups alike. We should not focus on it as it just leads to miscommunications fighting and is poor topics for kids who may be reading.

Also if Indigo and or Crazy Mike could give us "details" rules and reg, requirements, to be a CR. (I have not received any info to pass on here).
    This information may help others decide if they wish to volunteer, their services.

Finally (personaly) I don't care who wants to be CR if they haven't posted in 2 yrs, haven't posted at all, or posted recently, as long as the applicant brings enthusiasim, ideas, and a morale boost, to what presently is a dwindling chapter, that has never exceeded 8 people at any one meeting all the power to them, I'll back them.

I suggest no one makes up their mind till the vote!
    Listen to what all the nominees have to say and give them a chance to express their intentions, both on the boards and in a group meeting. (I suggest planning a meeting for this subject when we have a few more nominees)

So let's stay focused lets hear from those who want to volunteer or nominate someone to the position of CR for the Victoria Fan Force chapter, theres a lot that can be planned, for the end of the year and next year.

Randy

20. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Randy I have already told you what is first required. #1 Victoria members that wish to actively participate have to get together to meet up and figure out what they want. I want to see some candidates that are endorsed by the group not people nominating themselves. It does not work that way. Like I have said earlier I will also have to see some increased activity here by the members. That is a requirement of mine before I consider the election of a CR.

With that being said the requirements are for a CR reasonably simple, really, there are only two of them:

1. You will follow the Terms of Service of these boards to the letter. Yes, it may seem unfair of you to have to be that careful with what you post, but you do have to remember that as City Reps, you are representing your forums. You are role models for the other members of your chapter. They will be looking to you for examples of how to behave and post.

If you are concerned that what you are posting is against the TOS, don't post it. If what you are saying was fully appropriate for these boards, you would not have that small doubt about it. If you are not sure about something, contact myself and ask me - I will be more than happy to help you with any of your queries.

Further more, if you see something against the TOS posted in one of your forums, you must contact myself and have it removed. Yes, it may be an unpopular move, but part of your job is to keep your forums clean and point out to me anything that I may not have seen.

2. You must be polite, courteous and helpful at all times. We're not asking you to be perfect. I am simply telling you that you must not post with 'attitude' during your tenure as a City Rep. Once again, you are representing your forum, and must act as a role model at all time.

I have set out what will happen to you if you do not hold yourself to this, too.

The first time you will be warned. I will let you know exactly what we think you did wrong, and what we think you can do to make it not happen again.
    The second time you will have a temporary demotion, time to be determined depending on the offence. Some offences will get longer punishments than others.
    If you commit an offence for the third time you will be permanently demoted and I will ask your chapter to elect a new CR.

21. NessaSolo

NessaSolo Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    I will restate my previous thoughts that anyone who is willing to bring enthusiasm and put a lot of effort into reviving Victoria should be welcomed. Randy has also stated this.

However, I will also agree that we need to see some action from these people.

In looking at the past few months, I have to say that Cary (Haru Windsong) and Dango have really been working the hardest at getting people to post and to arrange events (Ep3 viewings, conventions...). Cary especially seems to really be involved.

For all her effort, I would certainly back up Cary if she were interested in running for this post. However, I am more than happy for others like Dawn - who may not have been as active in the past but is now expressing enthusiasm - to also try their hand at such a role.

Really, we should all just choose someone who is going to be the best for the group. So as Mike has stated, these nominees need to show us what they are going to do.

And as a little note, regardless of who brought up what, I suggest that we all just move on and think about what's best for the group. I'm not trying to call anyone down or offend anyone, as all of the points that have been made are valid. There just comes a point where everyone has to take a step back and let it go.

:)

22. Aurra-Singg

Aurra-Singg Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2004
    So what's involved in doing this job, then?

So far, it seems there's a moderator-like element to it, with regard to posts etc. on this forum...that seems straightforward enough.

And it also seems like there's a co-ordinator or facilitator element to it, with regard to getting people together for events etc. Well, that's only straightforward if there's a reasonable-size cadre of people who consistently want to turn up to things and-or get involved in organizing things on their own.

If nobody else takes it, I'll volunteer for the moderator part. I probably don't have time for the facilitator part.

Oh, and before people start saying "But Aurra, we don't know you!", I'll just say this: many of you do know me (a bit); you just don't know you know me. :)

Aurra

23. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    You see this is what I'm getting at: Crazy Mike has given us the details I wanted for the CR position. It's what I wanted in the first place, but perhaps didn't ask for it clearly enough.

Also he has pointed out (as I understand it) that the group has to take a more active part together "simply posting a subject is insufficient" we have to meet up and actually see each other face to face, and then mention the activities we have been doing.
    example. Myself, Darkside Dave, Haruwindsong, and Qui Dawn hooked up with other Star Wars enthusiaists a couple weeks ago for a BBQ, and Convention meeting, while not a quasy official function, it is FF members doing something together!

I recommend a meeting to discuss topics, I'll post this as a seperate thread, I'm still trying to keep this one, on people who would like to apply for the CR position, just so we know who is interested!

Let's keep our minds open and put a little effort into participation "other than posting" If we don't change our distant style operations soon, we'll be posting on the Western Region Forums and Tipoca City sites as the Victoria board could realisticly be shut down due to a lack of off board participation.

Let's get together.

Randy

24. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Once the group has had a few meetings and got a plan of how to proceed I will decide on whether a CR is required. Like I have said several times in recent days activity and interest are essential in order for a CR to be put in place.

I have a similiar situation in the London Ontario chapter. For about 2 years now the chapter has been CR less due to inactivity but in recent months interest and activity has increased so I am going to give the chapter the option to elect a CR. These are the steps that they will be following in regards to selecting a CR:

#1 members nominate who they want to see run for Cr #2 I will approach the folks that has been nominated and see if they want to run for CR. #3 I create a post of who is running #4 the members of this group sends their vote via pm to me. This keeps everything confidential and avoids any potential arm twisting by the candidates. Only members of this chapter vote. Socks and people that suddenly sign up will not be allowed to participate. If anyone has any questions about these rules please send me a pm.

In closing I just wanted to say to all of you that I want to try my best to make as many of you happy. I know it is impossible to do this but I want to be as fair as I can and I am always here if you have any questions or concerns. I have been around as RSA for a long time now and have been involved with several elections and most have gone well. I need your help and your interest to in order to get this chapter going. Please pm me if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,

Mike

25. TR0773

Feb 22, 2003
    So we don't even really need a CR?!? I thought a CR was required to keep the Chapter going, this little info will certainly calm things down a bit.... But we should all still get together for a meet!!

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.