main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New - need Luminara Unduli costume help

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Leftyplayer, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Leftyplayer

Leftyplayer Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2013
    I have the coolest 9 year old in the world. Instead of wanting to be one of the Princesses, she wants to be Luminara Unduli for Halloween (and every day that she can put her costume on). I've only got basic sewing skills, but I think I can pull most of it off. I'm planning a turtle neck, long skirt and a cloak. I don't know what to do for the hat/headdress - it seems complicated and I'd have to do it in such a way that it stays on her head. I'm also stumped by the accessories - neck broach, waist tabard and the vanbraces. They all appear to have specific designs. I've seen some of the more hardcore folks hand-paint those but I'm not that talented. What alternatives do I have? There's not much out there on making Luminara costumes and what there is, is done by super talented, went-all-out folks that makes it hard for me to replicate. Help please.

2. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    First off, don't be too afraid of the leather! When I read this, I this fabric my friend has that seems to be pretty easy to find (but expensive on that site)- https://www.fabric.com/buy/uc-021/faux-leather-fabric-tooled-floral-chocolate. You could use that for the tabard in the middle and the bracers and if you wanted to, paint some of the pattern with gold and copper paints. For the headpiece, you could use a baseball hat for the base and cut off the brim. When you cover it, use a really stiff iron-on interfacing so it stands up. Maybe use an earring for the brooch and glue a pin on the back? My advice is to go for the look, like the less complicated cartoon versions and look at things you wouldn't think to use for costume parts... Hmm could that 2-liter bottle work as a base for a bracer? Good luck.