main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Policy Discussion - **NO** Politics (& maybe Religion) in Sigs

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MrEmh, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Ah, so the thread wasn't closed, or wasn't created at all. My apologies. This still should have been brought up with the AC in my opinion. Doing so would've avoided this entire thread.

Ah, well-said, JGM. :)

2. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    Lack of politics makes strange bedfellows, I guess. ;)

I can see that there has been some change since I went to sleep. Vertical has acknowledged the problem that faces the Administration now. They jumped into making a decision, purposely left out the Advisory Council - the group set up to give serious opinion on issues like this - and then expect regular users to swallow this tripe? Well, now they know the "solution" is no more than a poor excuse at policy.

What is to be done? Of course, this policy will not be enforced until it is rethought. I don't see how anyone could follow an edict so weakly made.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i agree Maddux. this decision is causing too many problems, & it need to be fixed quickly.

4. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I agree with Dan, and JGM on this issue...

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    As an update on this situation, the mods who are online right now are currently discussing the proposed policy, and the way in which it was enacted.

For the record, this policy is not in effect. Consider it a proposal for the time being, and make use of this thread to voice your opinions on such a policy. Criticism is welcome, but please make it constructive. Taking this as an opportunity to slam the administration as a whole may be satisfying for you, but that's not the point of this thread. I think we're all aware that this situation wasn't handled ideally, and we're working on a better solution for everyone.

Again, this policy is not in effect. It is being discussed with the AC, in the Mod Squad, and here. We're interested in getting everyone's thoughts, and the mods will make the final call on this issue, once an informed majority opinion is reached. This may take a day or so, but we want to get as many opinions on this as possible.

Thanks, and apologies for the mess.

Vertical

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Thank you, Vertical. I, for one, very much appreciate your cool-headedness.

AYBABTU?

7. MrEmh

May 14, 1999
    Kudos, newlywed.

8. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    Vertical, I think the reason many of us are or were upset with the Administration as a whole was this was presented to us by SotS, acting as a member of the Admin staff, and informing us that this was a unanimous decision on the part of the Admins, as a whole.

I see now that his stating this was "in error", but at the time, he certainly made it seem like this was the opinions of the Administration. I'm sure you can understand our concerns.

9. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Absolutely, I can understand your reaction. The claim that this was a 'unanimous' decision, while correct from a certain point of view (meaning - those who participated in the discussion all supported the idea), is a bit misleading. I can't speak to whether or not SOTS understood that this way of phrasing it could be misinterpreted, but I can certainly understand the confusion.

It's a sticky situation, and we'll be doing our best to resolve the issue in a timely and fair manner. I hope you guys can be patient with us as the last thing we want to do is make MORE hasty decisions.

Thanks, and again, sorry for the confusion.

Vertical

10. SaberSlinger

SaberSlinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Alas, level-headedness prevails. Thanks Vert ;)

o]||||{ -------SaberSlinger-------

11. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't agree with the argument that "We have the Senate, so all politics should be kept there". I'm going spoiler free for episode III, but what if someone has a sig saying something about it? If we went along with the logic of that argument, I could say, "Please keep it in the Episode III Spoilers forum". The same could apply to someone refrencing the EU in their sig. I might get mad because I haven't read that particilar book they get their sig from.

Edit: Forget that /\

I am glad to see that this wasn't a unanimous decision, and that people like Vertical and Knight Writer think it needs more discussion. :)

12. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    Of course, Vert... I seem to recall your "fairness of judgement" in matters regarding signature controversy...

;)

I only hope that that issue is resolved soon, and some consensus, or happy medium, is achieved, as this matter has proven to be incredibly volatile, on both sides...

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    "We have the Senate, so all politics should be kept there". I'm going spoiler free for episode III, but what if someone has a sig saying something about it? If we went along with the logic of that argument, I could say, "Please keep it in the Episode III Spoilers forum".

Actually, signatures are not allowed to have Episode III spoilers in them unless that user posts exclusively in 3SA. That's an old policy, and once included AOTC as well.

14. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I don't agree with the argument that "We have the Senate, so all politics should be kept there". I'm going spoiler free for episode III, but what if someone has a sig saying something about it? If we went along with the logic of that argument, I could say, "Please keep it in the Episode III Spoilers forum".

Actually, spoilers are not allowed to be in sigs because they could ruin the movie for a spoiler-free person like yourself.

EDIT: Dang you Knightwriter! ;)

15. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Levity.

That's what we need.

16. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    Actually, signatures are not allowed to have Episode III spoilers in them unless that user posts exclusively in 3SA. That's an old policy, and once included AOTC as well.

[face_blush] Ahh, I see, that's very good to know.

17. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "If you want to discuss politics, no one is stopping you. It just has to be kept to the right forum."

So what about sigs mentioning EU? Should they be banned to "keep it in the right forum"?

"Therefore, they should not have other people's political views, which they may find offensive, thrust upon them."

Having a political statement in a sig is hardly "thrusting it upon" someone. Thrusting it upon someone would be something like constant unwanted PM's. Which have nothing to do with sigs.

"If they decide that they want to enter the Senate, then they can do so. That's their decision - and they do so with the understanding that they may be offended by some of the opinions held by those posting there."

People should have that understanding when they step into the outside world, when they get on the internet, when they register at a message board.

"This is a privately owned site, if you don't like they way it runs, then leave."

Then what is the point of the communications forum? Are we not to communicate with the administration unless we agree everything they do?

And another thing I disagree with: The fact that names mention religious figures are "no longer appropriate". Does that just apply to the religious figures of the folks who run this place(Jesus, Satan, etc), or does it apply to other things as well? Would the name Darth_Buddha be banned? What of my name? It has the word saint in it, is that now inapropriate? Is that just a proposal until further discussion, like the sig issue?

Hmm. Instead of actually working to solve problems, you just throw rules at them. Replace rules with money and you'd be politicians.

OH NOES! DON'T BANE MEH!!!1!

18. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    until the admins can guarantee us that they know the intent of a person's "political" sig, they should be a little more cautious...

19. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    "Hair isn't a right, it's a privilege!"

I thought a deviation would be a suitable new manual sig.

Is the signature feature a privilege instead of a right?

20. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

In this case, the hair was an abomination.

[image=http://www.sunglassplanet.com/Traficant2.jpg]

AYBABTU?

21. Imrahil

Imrahil Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2000
    Does anyone else find it ironic that this decision had only lead to more sigs of a relegious and political nature?

22. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Not really, if you tell people they can't do something and they don't like it-- chances are, they'll do it.

Thanks Vertical and KnightWriter for some rationality.

23. MrEmh

May 14, 1999
    It is good to see clearer heads prevailing in here. Last thing we need are more Drama Monkeys in here to rile people up.

24. Religious_Paul

Religious_Paul Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2002
    Does anyone else find it ironic that this decision had only lead to more sigs of a relegious and political nature?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

25. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I've apparently missed the bulk of the discussion, but I just need to ask: What kind of person is going to get so upset over another user's sig? If I were to flip out and get all worked up because someone has different political beliefs in his or her sig or mentions belief in a different religion, I would think that speaks volumes about me, in a negative fashion, while having nothing to do with the sig or the user who owns the sig.

And for the record I agree with Dan, Emh, AYBABTU, JGM, EP, and everyone else who is against this and has said what I would have said had I been here.

Amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.