main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

New posters needed

Discussion in 'FF:UK - Wales' started by Welshguy, Jul 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Qel_Droma

Master_Qel_Droma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2001
    p.s with oct just around the cornar what is ever one do for halloween i am going to try and make a jedi robe for it

Im going to have a night off and let everybody else be evil for the night!! [face_devil]

2. WelshDrivaaar

WelshDrivaaar Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2004
    Where abouts did you live in America? I worked for a short while in New Jersey myself.

I spent three years in Indiana.

Ok, so Sky Captain looks like the popular choice. We just have to decide on a date.

16th October ok with everyone?

Hey, works for me. Just need to know what cinema and what showing! Let me know, PM me or something. Ta!

3. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Master Sith: Very well, my young apprentice, however I think your going to have to change your name to Padawan Sith from now on. :p

I was planning on going to Halloween as Indiana Jones (hence the change in icon), but a few friends have dropped out recently and I don't know if I can be bothered now.

I made a Jedi robe myseld earlier this year. Its an Anakin Ep 2 robe and even if I do say so myself its a bloody good robe. I made it for a fan film, but our locations fell through and it got scrapped. Still a great robe though.

WelshDrivaaar: So what were you doing in Indiana? My bet is that you were working as a coal minner? Am I anywhere close?

Ok, so Sky Captain on the 16th seem like a popular choice. I'll start making a few contacts with some of the other posters and see who I can get togther.

Master_Qel_Droma: So are you interested in this not to be missed event of the century?

4. WelshDrivaaar

Sep 3, 2004
    So what were you doing in Indiana? My bet is that you were working as a coal minner? Am I anywhere close?

Not likely! I worked at a newspaper, designing ads and taking care of layout. Yourself?

5. MASTER-SITH

MASTER-SITH Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2003
    thank u master

by the way what fabirc did you use for ur robe and all so could u sent me the patten you use it you used one

6. welsh_stormtrooper

welsh_stormtrooper Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2004
    Hi guys, i dont know if this board is still active or not but just thought Id say hi. As my name nickname suggests, Im welsh and a massive Star Wars fan. I especially love the imperials and own a set of Stormtrooper armor. I work as an editor and web/graphics designer ( I sometimes do a bit of camerawork too :) ) so if there are ever plans for a fan film, let me know!!! Anyway, cya all.

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    WelshDrivaaar: Sounds like a fairly cool job. Why did you come back here? Don't tell me; the Rhondda Leader made you an offer you couldn't refuse?
    ;)

I worked as a counseller on a camp for kids with learning difficulties. It was bloody hard work, but rewarding in its own way. Basically that means it was fun getting sloshed in the towns on our days off!

Master (Padawan ;) )-Sith: I didn't actually use a pattern. I got hold of as many photos of Hayden's robe as I could and made an informed guess. It turned out very cool, even if I do say so myself. I also made a Clones Obi-Wan robe (had a bit of trouble with the arms on that one) and a robe for my Yoda puppet. All the robes were made using informed guess work and careful planning. I'm quite adapt when it comes to the old cosutme making you know. In the past i've also made a Neo (Reloaded) coat and heavily modified my Rubies Anakin costume, it non has proper leather tabards down the front and down the back. I have also tightened it all up and made some modifications in the neck line and waist.

For the material for the Anakin robe I used standard dark brown cotton material. It was fairly cheap (around £2 a yard) but looks great when its on. If you go to sites about cosutming they will tell you to use a heavy wollen fabric for the cloak, but i've looked in many places for this type of fabric and have never managed to find any, so I end up using other fabrics instead. This is no bad thing though. The real Jedi robes are designed to protect the wearer in all weathers, are heavy and very warm. Given that if you were to wear them, it would probably be in a fancy dress party or the like, you don't really want to be cooking under 20lbs of heavy wool. So a light, flowing material, such as cotton, is a much better compromsie.

Hope that helps????

By the way, it is a farly unkown fact, but all Sith must be a demon with a cross stich.

Just so you know....

Welsh_stormtrooper: Hi there. Its great to see yet another new face here. There seems to be a steady influx of new posters recently. I can only assume that my charm and charisma are drawing people here. Either that or those DVD things....

We usually have some kind of fan film on the drawing board, but we are struggling for ideas right now, so any help and input you have would be very welcome.

So tell us a little bit about yourself. Where are you from in this crazy old country of ours? Do you really have a Storm Trooper costume? If so, how tall are you, cause you know.... Its always been a dream of mine... :)

So would you be interested in attending a meet up in Cardiff in the near future? We're starting to get some good feedback and having one more on board would be another step in the right direction.

8. WelshDrivaaar

Sep 3, 2004
    WelshDrivaaar: Sounds like a fairly cool job. Why did you come back here? Don't tell me; the Rhondda Leader made you an offer you couldn't refuse?

Sadly no, I left for personal reasons. The work was enjoyable, but it didn't pay well enough to warrant me staying purely for that.

9. welsh_stormtrooper

Sep 26, 2004
    HI welshguy, thanks for the welcome, its nice to see the board is active. Im 23 and I live in a small village near Caernarfon in Gwynedd, North Wales. Ive been a Star Wars fan since I was a kid, (Ive watched all three original films about 4 times each since the DVD came out last Monday lol) I was too young to see them when they were first released tho.

Its nice to hear your thinking about making a fan film, its something Ive wanted to do for a long time. Through work I have access to cameras, editing suites, even a small studio for blue screening etc and the skills to use them too so let me know if anything comes of it :) I really do have a set of Stormtrooper armor but because Im 6' 2" I often get the comment . ."arent you a little tall for a stormtrooper?" lol but I dont mind .. it looks so cool!! I'l try posting some pics tomorrow of me in costume on Uned 5, a kids programme I work on.

A meet down in Cardiff sounds great . . man I love that town, hope to find work there someday. Just let me know when youi have some definate plans.

Thanks again for the welcome, its cool to share my interst in Star Wras with other welsh blokes.

10. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    thank you master the info has helped alot u are very wise and i only wish that someday i will be just as wise

p.s could u send me the pictues you used then please

11. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    WelshDrivaaar: Thats too bad. So do you hope to one day return, but with more skills and experience? Or have you settled back into old blightly and given up on the whole American "dream" thing?

welsh_stormtrooper: Wow, it must be really cool to have access to that kind of hardware. However it must be a real bugger if you have no-one/nothing to use it with. I have a fairly high end video camera and some very good software myself, but not that much in the way of a film crew and actors. so unless I want to make a one man movie, its pretty much usless.

I used to work for a TV company myself you know, back in the day (around 5 years ago now). It was a company called Bangow Productions and we made some of the worst TV programmes this side of Dick and Dom. I didn't stay there long as they were sufficating my artistic freedom. I now answer telephones for a living. funny old world eh?

I know Cardiff is going to be a very long treck for you, but if we arrange it far enough in advance I hope something can be arranged.

Imagine what we could do on a proper studio blue screen though!!! Epic lightsaber duals ontop a fiery volcanno, fly into hyperspace in you own X-Wing. The possibilites are endless.

So what work do you do for this TV company exactly, if you don't mind me asking. I was basically a gofer and sound man. Though I did get some good second unit stuff when everyone was off sick or didn't want to work on the weekend.

Master-Sith: The pics have been sent. I hope that they are of use to you. So tell us about your costume. Is it all Anakin, or are you just going for the robe with something else?

12. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    Thanks i got the pictues and they look cool i would lover to see the finshed item. How easy was it to make i.e can someone with no sawing talent make it

As for costume i have not decied yet if the robe turns out good then i will probally looking in to making a full jedi outfit

13. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    With regards to sowing. Yes, some talent and knowledge is required, though having said that I didn't have any when I started. A standard sowing machine is essential. There is way to much material to sow by hand. I had never sowed in my life before I tried it on this robe, so its not that hard. :)

It just takes a lot of common sense and patience. I must have spent every night for a week hunched over cutting material and sowing the robe.

I would recommend getting a cut off from your robe and practicing on that on the sowing machine before you let yourself loose on the robe. Failing that, perhaps a kindly word to your mother, girlfriend, Aunt or Grandmother might be in order.

The main bulk of the sowing will be sowing up the seems of the robe. You do this in order to stop it from fraying at the edges. The main robe itself is a /\ type shape. There are many patterns available on the net that will show you how to make this main part. The good thing about Anakin's robe is that it doesn't have any fiddly arms to put in (which make everything much harder). You might have a bit of trouble with the hood also, but if you just stick with it you'll get there eventaully.

Hmm, the force is strong in this one.

14. welsh_stormtrooper

Sep 26, 2004
    Im a bit of a jack of all trades there really lol. I do web design, graphics for tv and print, illustrations and animations and offline editing. I have done some occaisional camerawork too. Like you said, having all this gear and enthusiasm means very little if there isnt anyone to help make the film. I tried to get my mates onboard before but their all just too lazy lol.

Dont worry about the distance Id have to travel to Cardiff, Ive been there planety of times and I always have a good laugh there. Just let me knwo when your all thinking of having a piss-up . . . I mean meet up lol.

15. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    Rigth thanks for that the sowing machine migth be a problem as my family do not own one >.<

also how did u work out the messaent for the ammonet of farbic you need

16. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Welsh-stormtrooper: Ah the lazy friend syndrome. I know it well. All talk and no action. If your not making a Empire clone they don't really want to know. They can't seem to understand that you have to work within your limitations and massive space battles and hour long lightsaber duals are just not possible.

If you are coming down to Cardiff then I assume that you will be spending the night. If this is the case then perhaps we can extend the meeting and all book a hotel room or something so we can go out in the night.

Master_Sith: Hmmm, thats a tricky one. There is another option, and thats having a seemstress sow it up for you. However this may prove to be a little expensive and if your working at a budget, then thats a no go. There is another option, but I don't know how good it will turn out. You can buy a thin (around 2 inches) strip of white material (can't remember what its called) that when heated by an iron, becomes like a glue. If you were to use this to make the seems, then it might just work. You would have to make the hood by hand, but seeing as its just the hood, it may be possible to sow this yourself.

A good rule of thumb when deciding how much material to buy is to get around twice as much as you think you'll need. I bought 5 meters and that was the exact amount. To get the length of the robe (not very technical), just lay down on the material and mark from your shoulders to your feet. Add around 8 inches for the seem on all sides and you will have your robe.

17. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    yet again i must say thanks to wisdom that u have welshguy

As for budget that is no problem and plus i was thinking of having a seemstress sow it for me

plus how tall are u if u dont mind me asking so i can see how much more or less i will need
    plus witch would be easy to make anakin or standed jedi robe

18. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Whats the point in knowledge if your unable to use it sometimes ;)

I'm around 5' 10" in my shoes.

I would recommend the Anakin robe. The standard Jedi one is much harder to make due to its sleves. The Anakin robe is basically just a wide cloak with two tabbards on the front and a long hood on the back.

I prefer the Anakin one anyway because it looks a lot cooler. When your just walking around you can let the tabbards hang down at the front, making it look like a standard robe, but when its action time you can flcik them behind your shoulders and the robe becomes an all action cloak.

If you take the pics to the seemstress and tell her what you want, then its a good bet that she will be able to knock one up for you without much hassle. But be sure to get her as many pics as possible.

Hope this helps.

19. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    Thanks yet agian lol

5'10" that means that 5 meters should be fine for me as i am 5'10" aswell

plus now that u descibe the anakin robe it does sound cooler plus would it be all rigth to make it in like dark blue or some sort of dark colour

also as soon as u can could u sent me a pic of the back of the robe

20. WelshDrivaaar

Sep 3, 2004
    [i[Thats too bad. So do you hope to one day return, but with more skills and experience? Or have you settled back into old blightly and given up on the whole American "dream" thing?[/i]

Nah, I think I'm back here for good, although the American experience was overall a good one. I don't regret it.

Kinda jealous of you lot getting gigs in tv production, I'd love some of that! Any tips?

21. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Master-Sith: No problem dude. I guess you could use any colour to make the robe, but if your going for the geniune Anakin look, its best to get a good dark brown. I was really lucky when I bought my material, I managed to get the exact colour I needed. It looks almost black in low light and dark brown in normal light. In other words the perfect colour for everyones favourite mentaly unstable Jedi!

I'll try and get you some pics of the back of the robe on the weekend, but to be honest there isn't really much to see. Its just a hood hangind down the back of the robe, but if you want the pic anyway, i'll do my best to accomdate.

WelshDrivaaar: Well, theres not much point in me giving you advice on how to get into TV/movie production seeing as i've been working as a desk monkey for the NHS for the last 4 years :(

But the work I did with the TV company was on a voluntary/low paid basis. So it all depends if you can afford to do that kind of job. But when you get your foot in the door, its a good chance that you might get a decent job that actaully pays money. I couldn't stick that company any more, so I left. But if it had been a decent company then I might have stuck around and gotten a decent job.

Failing that, you could always start your own production campany. All you need is a digital camera, some software and a few good ideas!

22. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    thanks the resaon i wanted a pic of the back is that i can not find a good pic with the hood but pics of the whole robe would do

is there any fether info on the meet up apart from it is in cardiff on the 16th

23. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I'll start putting some details togehter very soon regarding the meet up.

But right now, all the information that has been arranged is that we will go to see Sky Captain on te 16th, followed by Pizza at Pizza Hut.

Depending on how many people want to attend and what kind of feedback i'm going to get, the meetup may be extended to include a night on the town, with the possibility of staying over night somewhere.

good point about the robe. Not sure what I expected you to want to see from the back that wasn't there.. Duhhh.. Silly me.

Never mind, i'll get them sorted for you soon.

Also everyone should look out for an annoncement soon regarding the meetup.

24. MASTER-SITH

Dec 14, 2003
    rigth thanks for that info and for once welshguy has been stumped by his padawan lol :D

25. welsh_stormtrooper

Sep 26, 2004
    Welshguy: Im definately up or a meet in Cardiff, Im assuming it would be on a weekend seeing as we have work commitments. Just holler when you have definate plans :) Is there any news of a fan film matterializing too? Im been thinking about it alot this week in terms of story ideas, possible filming locations (there is an old copper mine in north wales which has a rusty, mars/tatooine-esque landscape which would be an amazing location, I was thinking of a mineing planet like Kessel or Ord Mandell ), achieving fx shots etc so Im very eager to produce something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.