main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Red Sonja Movie for 2010

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    The promotional posters are certainly, er, tantalizing.

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Okay, well, there's no reason for you to enjoy something just because it's popular or held in high regard in the fan community. The movie is a bit ham-fisted and overloaded, even if it's also a stylish tour-de-force with crackling dialogue, and characters that pop off the screen in more ways than one. And BTW, Tarantino -- the "Guest Director" in question -- directed only one sequence: in which Dwight takes Jackie-Boy's severed head with him in the car, and imagines that it's speaking to him. The use of lighting in that sequence is very moody, and the atmosphere simmers in a unique and sinister way that only Tarantino could effect. So that explains his credit.

3. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Some pictures from Comic-Con perhaps?

Posters (With over-the-top highlight on the haircolor IMO)

[image=http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/SLL77/Film/red-sonja-poster.jpg]

[image=http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa94/SLL77/Film/red-sonja-poster3.jpg]

Some random pictures

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7

I want an adult fantasyfilm out of this, if not, then I might as well skip this film.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Hey, isn't that Conan's sword?

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    ^ ^ ^ Yes, that's Conan's movie sword which he finds in the Atlantean tomb in Conan the B.

Rose McGowan certainly looks a lot more like Sonja of the comics (as drawn by Frank Thorne, Pat Broderick and Wendy Pini) than Brigitte Nielsen! Her face is perfect, even if her hair is rather over-the-top and her bod is not as toned as you would expect a swordswoman of her caliber to be. It also looks as though this film is not going to be realistic at all, but fantastical with a focus on visual resplendence.

6. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    QFT...ham fisted...couldn't have said it better =)

This scene is as absurd and craptastical as the rest of the film...fanboy much?

Seriously though, you are walking a fine line of praise here. There may be some overly intricate lighting effects, or whatever, that only a seasoned critic/director/cinematographer/etc would be able to pick up on, but that isn't really the point. Without having been told what scene he directed, and then re-watching and analyzing it, it would pass without being any different.

I am not saying that the "hidden quality" of any work of art needs to be readily available to the masses, but being told why something is great, because its otherwise the same as everything else, well thats kind of silly.

And when your artistic venue is directed specifically at the larger populus, and completely built on comprimising integrity for market value, the paradox takes full effect.

Red Sonja? Really?

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Goodness gracious me, I wasn't trying to explain "why something is great" in an esoteric, I-get-it-and-you-don't kind of way. I was only explaining to Koohii the reason for Tarantino's "Guest Director" credit. As an added bonus, I was distinguishing that scene stylistically from the rest of the film, which if you're paying attention you'll notice. /shrug/ I mean, you either like the film or you don't.

And since when is "fanboy" a bad word? ;) I'm proud to be a SFF fan.

8. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    "a unique and sinister way that only Tarantino could effect"

I am not buying that you, or anyone else, had any idea when his directorial input begins and ends, without being told when it begins and ends. That is why I said what I said, and that is my problem with the initial post. I am sure you noticed after being told what to look for, and giving it a re-watch. Then to say "if you're paying attention..." Well if that doesn't reek of a certain I-get-it-and-you-don't extra special kind of arrogance, I don't know what does. I am not bashing Tarantino, just saying that his bit is just as whatever as the rest of the flick.

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    For the record -- and this is totally off-topic, so Mods, please forgive me -- the first time I saw Sin City I knew Tarantino had directed a scene, but I didn't know which one. During that initial viewing, I suspected it was the severed-head-in-the-car scene, based on the change in lighting (which is pronounced) and the sinister mood (which is different from the rest of the film). Later, watching a making-of feauture, I discovered my guess was correct.

You can doubt this account all you like. It really doesn't matter, except that you're being argumentative and obtuse, which is annoying. I know what the facts of my own life are. I have a keen sense of cinematic style, and I can generally spot which elements are unique to certain directors. For example, watching Superman II (either version), I can determine with almost 100% accuracy which scenes were shot by Richard Donner and which by Richard Lester. It's just so obvious to me that I wonder why others cannot pull the same trick. I can also tell which scenes in the Coen Bros.' Hudsucker Proxy were shot by Sam Raimi, etc.

/shrug/ Believe it or not, I guess.

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    OK, let's get back on topic.
    I know some people believe that Tarrentino is a good writer/director/actor. Also, some people liked the Sin City movie.
    I firmly belong in the other category (I'll leave off the string of adjectives I normally use to describe him). Others may as well. If there's a Tarrentino or Sin City thread, we can continue the argument of merrits there (or start one).

As far a Red Sonja, we'll see. I am cautiously pessemistic, and not with it enough to spell-check

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.