main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New/Returning Authors Support Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by emimar, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    If there is already a thread for this, then I'm sorry.
    I wanted to do a list of new/returning authors because new authors need readers and returning authors seemed to have lost their old readers if they haven't been here for a while.

My excuse for being away for a while is that I've been working on a website and been doing some University stuff and just wanted to return to writing again, but it seems that I can't go back to where I left off as the people who were interested in my stories seemed to have moved on to other things.

There other thing is that it can be frustrating when you don't get many readers for your stories, so it's kind of like a thread for over looked authors as well.

I'm not doing this as a whinging thread, just to make that point clear!

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    How recently returning does it need to be? I was away for over a year and a half to be a missionary and came back to find everyone had quit, become a mod, or gotten disappointed by Episode 2. But that was over a year ago. I'm still recovering, though.

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    You know, this is an excellent idea. :)

4. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree with Sara_Kenobi. A thread like this is long overdue.
    Good idea.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I hoped there would be a thread like this when I got back, but nope.

6. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    That happened to me when I went to basic training, But I am starting to recover.

7. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    When did you go through it? And it's only eight weeks right? Or was your tech. school hard too?

8. CodyMonKenobi

Jan 29, 2001
    I left home January 20th last year and got home May 13th. My AIT was six more weeks.

9. Owe-me-one Perogi

Owe-me-one Perogi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2000
    I've been gone for a while... ummm, a year or something I think... possibly more... I have no excuse... :(

besides school, and applying for college and stuff... and Im just plain lazy.... lol

10. MysteriousRaven13

MysteriousRaven13 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2003
    emimar

How new does the author have to be? Up until just recently (very recently) I have done a challenge or two on the Obi-Wan thread. I just finally got the time to start posting my first Star Wars story on the board.

My non-existence story posting is due to work, college, and kids (and training horses). I?m an (civilian) instructor for the military AIT (training school), so I didn?t have a lot of time. And a lot of my free time is spent with the above mentioned, plus trying to keep up-to-date on things that I am required to teach my soldiers.

CodyMonKenobi
    That happened to me when I went to basic training, But I am starting to recover.

Basic training really never allows you to have free time. You?re either busy learning drills, studying other things, shining boots, studying other things, physical training, and? oh, did I mention studying other things?! :D :D

Dev_Binks
    When did you go through it? And it's only eight weeks right? Or was your tech. school hard too?

Unless the Army has changed it again, I think the basic training is 9 weeks long now. When I came through in ?96 it was eight weeks long and a 5-month AIT (or tech school) for military intelligence.

When you use tech school, you sound like you?ve been around the Air Force. Have you?

CodyMonKenobi
    I left home January 20th last year and got home May 13th. My AIT was six more weeks.

At least you?re AIT was short. My AIT had been a little over 5 months long for military intelligence. And now that I am a instructor for AIT, the course is now only a little over 4 months long. But than, that was back in ?96 (I guess that shows my age, huh? Hehe) :D

11. CodyMonKenobi

Jan 29, 2001
    I'm an idiot :p

*Stands at parde rest*

How much longer are you in for?

12. MysteriousRaven13

MysteriousRaven13 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I had joined the Army in 1996 (still in high school) and got out in June of 2002. I am now a civilian instructor for the military intelligence analyst course. My husband has 4 years left before he retires, so I get a couple more years to teach at the intelligence school for the Army. But my six years in was the best of my life.

13. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    MysteriousRaven13, I suppose if you've just posted your first story, then that can be considered new. Even if you've gotten over the new bit, I don't mind a post here.

Sometimes, new authors can lose confidence and stop writing if they get lost in the system, which is one of the problems of having such a large board - but there just seems to be no middle ground between a busy board and one that doesn't get many visitors - I know this because I set up a fan fiction board for OC/minor characters stories for my website and the only person who has ever posted there is me, so it's from one extreme to another.

At least with a thread like this, authors and readers have a way of finding each other.

14. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    [face_laugh] Apprantly, I had the security settings on to high so no one could post! [face_laugh]

15. KnightedRogue

KnightedRogue Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004
    This is wonderful. Even for sorta-new, sorta-old writers, it's still difficult to get readers sometimes. I've been posting for about four months now, but I think everyone just assumes I've been around for longer. :D

Great idea, whether I count or not [face_laugh]. I'll still give support!

*KR*

16. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    I'm a relatively new author, only published two stories so far, one short (12 pgs), the other long (55 pgs), and besides that I'm an OC writer, so I'll go wherever I need to drum up some new readers! ^_^

In other words, I'm R_Zion and I approve this thread!

17. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I was away for several months while moving to my new home and getting settled in a new job (which quickly turned out to be Suckville when it wouldn't even give me an eight-hour break). I'm still recovering from it, and still trying to finish a repost that I started almost a year and a half ago, and expected to complete in less than a month! :p Still plugging away. Once that's done, there'll be a new one.

It's been making me wonder, though, about JCFF authors who come back from a long hiatus only to find that they're has-beens. Will they give it up, or will they keep hacking away at it in the vague, clinging hope that they might yet revive their old flair?

Personally, I'm more of a never-was than a has-been, so I don't really have an excuse. ;) Just going to go on taking up board space for no other reason than the agony and the ecstasy of writing...

18. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    I've been around somewhat, but have no readers. I guess it is an OC thing ... although I prefer OC stories because wanton disregard for canon really turns me off. So can I join the group?

Is OC really a reason things are read less? I did notice that all 400 of the Obi/Siri/Qui/Dooku/Xanatos or Kyp/Jaina/Jagged love stories have tons of replies

19. Roland_Hill

Roland_Hill Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2003
    I signed up a while ago but never did much with the account. Even though school's the busiest it's ever been right now, I'm actually trying to get some material out there... :)

People might have read my Civilization story (though with the lack of replies, I don't know). JaersteinCysse, I like working with OCs too, but for a different reason: The characters in the movies and books have their adventures canonized. They don't need more attention! We need new heroes, I tell you! :)

(Despite the above, I'm not against having movie/book characters in a fic or in one of my fics, but in the latter the best they're getting is a supporting role...)

Yeah, I'll join. But does this mean I have to read everyone's stuff that they've posted? :D

20. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Roland_Hill,you don't have to read everything, just one or two if you have time. I myself haven't got much time to read everything (mostly because I have aload of novels at home that need reading and I like to print fan fiction out before I read it as I can concentrate on it better.)

I just love writing stories about aliens as well as OCs, one reason is because I think aliens are more challenging to write and the other reasons are the same as what you've come up with.

I write some original fantasy too, but if I get that published or not depends on if I get time to do it - at the moment they're all just paper manuscripts and need typing up on a computer.

The other reason why I like writing OCs is because you can do a lot more with them - if you write a story about a cannon character for example Luke, who's had a lot of adventures in the offical books already - you always seem to forget something that happened to him and people who are die hard fans don't like it if you get something wrong or miss something out.

I like stories with minor characters too. One character I think has been forgotten and shouldn't have is Lumpy - Chewbacca's son. I thought after they killed Chewie off in Vector Prime that they would devlop him but that didn't even happen... so boring! Lowie just becomes Jaina's lap dog too - also so boring! There are probably loads of others too - take Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura and Mace Windu - you don't see nearly enough stories about them.

And don't get me started on what I think about Obi-Wan.

21. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree with you emimar about the OC's. I'm currently writing a story which I hope to post soon. Anyway, it is about OC because I want my story to fit in with established canon. There is less freedome to come up with new stuff using canon characters without the story turning into an AU.

So I'm in!

22. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I uess you could call me a newbie. I just started posting my first fanfic, though I've been around for a few months learning the ropes of this joint.

So if any of y'all hang around the "Before the Saga" boards, be sure to read anything by SabyneAmberle!

23. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    Yeah, the fun part about writing is coming up with new stories and characters ... which is what makes OC so fun. And its best when the stories can fit in with canon and not hurt it.

But I think I'm gonna check out some of your stories now.

24. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I try to make my OC stories fit in with the cannon stories too - it's more fun that way. I sometimes take minor characters that haven't been devolped on much in the offical stories and make up stories about them - that's good too because I seem to be able to get into the heads of those characters almost as good as I do with OCs.

25. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    I'm a new author. I've just completed my first Boba Fett fan-fiction and I plan on completing more in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.