main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New/Returning Authors Support Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by emimar, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    I have only done a couple of true OC stories (Where the story revolves around that one person) and I have to admit they are by far, the most fun to write. On top of that you don't have to worry about screwing up someones most beloved charecter.

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm pretty comfortable with my current reader following, even though I've only been here a couple of months. But I stopped in anyway, just planning on lurking around, and noticed that a lot of you guys are OC authors. There's actually a database of OC stories that might help you guys get more of an audience from the OC-oriented folks on the boards.

The Original Character Story Database

Hope that helps you OC people...might give you some ideas of stories to read, too, and that can help up your readership. I saw mine increase a lot when I started reading a lot of other stories.

Jes

3. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    And they say they're aren't enough writiers/readers of OC stories to consitute a seperate board...

I was begining to think I'd have to rename this thread OCA 2 or something with all the OC authors.

I know that reading other people's stories get you more hits but some people aren't able to hang around here for very long as they don't have the internet at home and have to use the libary (you're likely to get kicked off the computer if there's a cue to use them.)

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This is a great idea for a thread and will hopefully help some authors attract some more attention.

I've written a few fanfics in the past, but I haven't written anything Star Wars in a long time. For a long while, I had been writing some general SF, now I'm into travel type writing about geographic locations. Every few months I begin to write about something else.

Anyway good thread.

-Seldon

5. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    What I am thinking of doing for my site is an index linking to OC/minor character stories that have been posted here. One of the problems with the indexing on the boards is that they can get buried by other threads if the board is busy...and I would like to find some of the old stories of authors that aren't around anymore. Obviously if an author doesn't want me to link to their story{ies) that's fine and you can pm me if you don't.

What I'm also going to do is wait until I've finished writing a story before I post them, then that gives me time to read other stories at the same time as I'm posting mine and I always get fed up of things getting in the way of finishing a story and then when you start to post again, you've found that all your readers have got bored and moved away...

6. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    ^That's probably a good idea... good luck with it.

::grumble::

Okay... I know I haven't been around here in a while... and I haven't had time to do a lot of replying to other people's fics... and the one I've been posting is a repost (and says it), which may be a dirty word for getting readers... but I still feel left out when I can't get a single reader to comment :(

::/grumble::

7. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Did you have your story in the classic boards? The reason why I ask is because I did a repost of one of my stories (with a load of new scenes added etc.) and it was deleted...not that I want to cause trouble by drawing attention to it, but it seems a little unfair if other people are allowed to do reposts and I'm not.

8. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    No, it wasn't on the classic boards, it was on the Saga board... and I've seen people do reposts before. :confused: On mine, I went back and did heavy editing...

I wasn't aware of any specific policy for or against reposts, but I'm not a Mod, and I'm not sure.

9. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Well, it's just something that happened to me, that's all. I hope I don't accidently get your repost deleted, as that wasn't my intention, but if there is a policy that says you can't repost old stories, then they should say that in the FAQ, so people don't run a fowl of it.

10. GoddessJainaSoloFel

GoddessJainaSoloFel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2004
    I'm a new author and a fairly new member to the boards! I posted my first fic (WIP) on Jan. 29th and I've posted a response to a Valentine's challenge K/J Rogue and Goddess thread. I'm lurking and posting mostly in the Beyond The Saga threads :) I love the EU especially the New Republic and NJO eras. Hope to see you there!

~Goddess Jaina~

11. NenYim

NenYim Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I'm new, and thought I should post on this. I'm doing my first fic now on the Beyond boards, and first posted...hmmm...about a month ago anyway. :p I've also done two vignettes, and posted on random challenges...:D

But I was wondering, what exactly is the purpose of this thread? Is it just to see who's new/returning and who's not? Sorry if I somehow missed that...:)

12. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    Wow, they even have a thread for people like me.

Hi, My name's Peter, and I'm a returning author. I've been gone for about 2 years now... wow, that echoes inside.

But seeing DarthIsh here has made my night. Just wow.

Um, so yeah, my senior year of high school, I just didn't have the time to keep writing, so I took an extended break.. I'm now a sophomore in college and reminiscing has brought me here... with a suitcase of plot bunnies and a pocketfull of dreams. Anyone out there still remember me?

13. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    My Story

For some reason I've gotten only one reader for this one. However, that one reader enjoys it a lot so I figured I'd give this a shot.

14. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I've not had many readers for my stories either. I put that down to the boards being busy and that I can't get on the boards every day.

15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hi, if any one of you are interested, I am just getting started with a new OC (villain) driven fan fic spanning three episodes. Check it out here if you are interested. The link is in my signature. The story is to be updated on weekends.

Also check out the Crimson Jedi Round Robin story, I will be contributing on weekends.

Darth... Mu!

16. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Jumping back in in the faintest-of-faint hopes that there will be somebody willing to give my first trilogy a whirl. First part was posted this morning...

17. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    For sidious618 and eminar:

I know how you guys feel. My story isn't getting a whole lot of attention either. (Then again, I'm a bit of a niche writer so...)

All I can say is keep writing for the audience you do have, rather than trying to write for a potential audience. If people currently reading love the story, then you must be doing something right!

18. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I take the view that if I like what I write and it's the kind of stuff that I would read, then I'll continue writing it.

There must be some readers out there who like to read the same stories I do and write, you've just gotta stick around long enough for them to find you...

19. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    Well I don´t know what I should say here but:
    I´ve started my first fic and it´s a bit frustrating that I have only couple of readers. I update quite often at the moment but still it looks silent around my litlle story.
    Or then not so many people are interested in Sabewan. :p
    Marmida

20. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I'm surprised at that since Obi Wan stories seem to get a lot of readers - maybe there's just too many of them!

21. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    Or maybe people don´t like Sabé. :(
    Marmida

22. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    As you can see my registration date I am quite an olbie (actually I think I first registered before that date, but inactivity reset it at one point), but I come here in fits of inspiration, now and again, and get completely ignored, get frustrated and leave. :) Well not COMPLETELY, but this place is a tough nut to crack. There seem to be board "celebrities" and I am not one of them.

Though my Haiku series usually get a bit of attention...

As to OCs, I think I just wrote my first piece WITHOUT an OC now that I think about it.

We Are What We Do A very short missing scene at the Lars' dinnertable.

23. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    I know what you mean about board celebraties - know it sounds harsh, but I treat them the same way I treat Terry Prachet and J. K. Rowling - if they seem to get too much attention from other people, I just don't read their stories and concentrate on less well-known authors simply because they write stories that are just as good or even better!

You should never take the view that just because a lot of people like them or seem to get more coverage that they are better than those that don't!

If everyone went around ignoring people that aren't in the spot light, then everyone would be listening to Britney Spears instead of Nickelback!

24. emimar

Apr 3, 2003
    Actually managed to get on today...Have we moved yet? Suppose that was why I couldn't get on.

Anyway, I found this site yesterday that allows writers to have their own forums once they've been on the boards for a month, here it is. JediGirl

No more getting buried - yippie!

25. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Check out the fic in my thread for a rather different story that connects to(but you don't need to have read it) "The Gospel According to Us".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.