main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Community Microblogging Site

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by jdoyleweb, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdoyleweb

jdoyleweb Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2011
    I have created a new Star Wars only microblogging site. I would people's feedback on my little Star Wars community.

For a long time I have been getting more and more frustrated with the Facebook experience. Do you remember when you first signed up to Facebook? It was exciting, interactive, fun. Privacy was relatively easy to understand and control. Things were simple.

Fast forward a few years and I am feeling a gradual decline in enthusiasm towards the venerable social network. Privacy settings are confusing and hard to manage, your profile needs constant attention and grooming. Your news feed is full of annoying updates from friends you don't really know on what score they got today on Farmville.

Twitter takes a totally different approach. Updates are short, quick and to the point. Privacy is not an issue because anyone can "follow" anyone else and get their updates. Information flows and trends in waves across the platform and it can be a genuinely useful tool for social interaction, change and news. I like it. However I never really "got" twitter. It was too sparse in it's features. What I wanted was something in between.

On top of all of this was my passion for Star Wars. I found 90% of my social network activity was Star Wars related. When I interacted with a fellow fan inevitably the non-fan on my friend list would comment with the standard "Nerd!". Annoying. I found myself curtailing my fandom which is not a good thing. We have always had the forums, but did the internet really need another Star Wars forum?

What if there was a place Star Wars fans could go that had the best features of Facebook & Twitter? If you see Facebook & Twitter as huge bustlling virtual cities, maybe there is a place on the web for a small village of people that share a common passion for Star Wars.

Any feedback people have on my site would be greatly appreciated!

May the force be with you.

Edit: I've edited out your links, since at this place it looks like a covered advertising post for your website. If you really want some feedback, you might want to check out this place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.