main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEW Starships Of The Galaxy ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ulkesh2, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Has anyone found this bit o' literature yet? If so spill the beans on what ships are in it. The wait is KILLING me. Come on December 18th!

2. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Uhm....I don't think it ships until the 18th, so it's unlikely anyone's found it yet....

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    If the novels show up early from time to time then so too might this gem. At least I frakking hope so. The wait is unbearable. =P~ I must have it. Now...not later...N-O-W !
    [face_hypnotized]

4. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    Oh quit yer whining, when I was a kid I had to wait seven years between RPG releases...in the snow...both ways! ;)

But seriously, I'm really looking forward to the book, too, but RPG books don't tend to "leak" as often as other books...mostly because they're printed in much smaller runs.

Sadly, I won't really be able to get the book/read it until the 5th of January....I leave for vacation on the 19th of December and don't get back until then. So unless it ships early, I have to wait even longer!

But what I'm mostly hoping for is a couple "Legacy" ships statted out. And not a complete retread of all the movie-ships that we already got in the main book. :p

5. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Yeah same here.[face_not_talking] We do not need a bunch of ships from Episode 4-6. Focus should be on the ships found in comics and novels. :-B :eek: I'd have multiple geekgasms if the new SOTG has full-color depictions of the following ships-

1. Defender/Nebula Class Star Destroyer
    2. Rejuvenator Class Star Destroyer
    3. Galactic Class Battle Carrier
    4. Endurance Class Fleet Carrier
    5. Eta-5 Interceptors (from LOTF novel series)
    6. Pellaeon Class Star Destroyer
    7. Twin-Tail-X Starfighter
    8. Incom Crossfire Starfighter
    9. Scythe Class Cruisers

and too many others to recall at this time. Chances are though the book will be chock full of stuff already well known [face_tired] .

6. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    Well, I'd be happy enough if they include more stuff like the Ghtroc they put up for their preview (old WEG ships that haven't been updated in a while, in other words). A good chunk of New Republic era stuff would be cool.

But yeah, I expect a heavy weight towards movie-stuff, maybe a tiny snippet of KOTOR, NJO and LotF stuff, and virtually nothing from "Legacy."

But I'd like to be proven wrong. ;)

7. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I think we'll see ships primarily from the three core eras used in the game - Rise of the Empire, Rebellion, and New Jedi Order. Anything from KOTOR or Legacy is likely to be explored in campaign guides for those settings, rather than here.

8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    From a guy nicknamed MutantFromMars on the Wizards boards, here's the list of the craft featured. Spoilered just to be safe. Quoted, with just a little formatting for ease of reading.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Awesome. Other than that, it seems like pretty baseline bland movies-and-well-known-EU, but at least they have that.

10. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    OK I noticed in that blacked out list of ships the term NEBULA - is this a reference to the Nebula Class Star Dstroyer by chance? [face_praying]

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Hey! It's blacked out for a reason! Now you've spoiled this whole book for me. This is tantamount to ruining All About Eve or Planet of the Apes.

Shame, sir. [face_shame_on_you]

12. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I called my local gaming store to see if they had a copy so I could check it out myself, but they won't have it until Tuesday. I don't know if it refers to the Star Destroyer or anything else, really. All I have to go on is what that guy and a few others reported on the official site.

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

By my count, over 30 we've seen in the past EGs. Still, there's a broad spread of new ships you want to see, as well as old timers that missed out on past guides, so you could get 3 landspeeder entries. :p

No Assaut Cruiser though. Notice I didn't prefix it with Bothan like an idiot. :(

Want to see the Buado yacht. The X-wing book description conflicts with the comci depiction. :D

14. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Looks like starship guide update #n

Most of this stuff appears in so many other sources...is it really worth getting again for a handful of new entries?

I mean the Pellaeon Class won't even get a distinct entry...it's a sub-entry?

To which "predator" are they referring...If Pellaeon SD is a subcategory, I'd assume TIE Predators will be a subcategory as well.

And I guess asking for perhaps one or two original ideas would be out of the question...that would get me to buy this in a second.

*sigh*

If they changed the SSD length again, I'm calling shenanigans...they just want to watch us fight.[face_frustrated]

15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I kinda hope they revise the Vizzy length, myself. It's... it's just way too frickin' big.

16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am hoping that the "MC80" section has pictures and details for the other MC-series, like the MC80a, MC80b, and MC90, which was featured in the last SOTG.

No Bothan Assault Cruiser. No Mediator battle cruiser. :(

And the freaking Pellaeon-class gets a mention but no Scythe?

--Adm. Nick

17. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    Just what I was afraid of, a bunch of wasted space on ships that were not only heavily covered in other areas, but were already statted in the main Saga edition rulebook.

This almost makes me sad I preordered this. There's enough there to keep a little bit of my interest, but it's looking like it'll shape up to be a disappointment.

18. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    What did you expect, Jmacq1? The people at WOTC were very clear that they were OBLIGATED to include the ships that non-fans, those who only know Star Wars from the films, were likely to recognize and have an interest in. They really had no choice; the intent with any product is to make sure it reaches the widest possible customer base, and John Q. Lunchpail doesn't know the Mediator battle cruiser from Adam and is not likely to care. We ought to be glad they included as much of the non-film ships as they did. If you want a volume entirely about the more obscure films, then don't regret ordering this one; buy it, and encourage others to do so too. That will give WOTC the encouragement it both needs and wants in order to push such a volume through. The market alone will determine if there is a viability for the non-film starships, not idle wishing that it would just be published our way.

19. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    The point is that several of the ships were already statted and given descriptions in the core rulebook. They're not likely to be snagging any "new audience" for this book that hasn't already got the core Saga Edition rulebook. That makes those entries pretty much redundant (and a waste of money accordingly). I have less of a problem with ships that haven't been covered in the Saga Edition before but heavily covered elsewhere, it's just the repetition of ships we've already "seen" within the same edition/media that really irks me.

Or to put it another way, I don't mind movie-centric material very much, even if it's been done to death. But the rationale that you're somehow going to rope in more buyers by repeating yourself seems pretty darn stupid, to me. Most people buy new books looking for new material, particularly devoted fandoms of a franchise like Star Wars, and RPG fans to boot.

In fact, I'd be willing to put money down that more people would be inclined to not buy the book due to the amount of duplicate information than there are "John Q. Lunchpails" that would buy the book cold and magically convert into being a Star Wars/RPG fan.

It just seems counterproductive to try to tailor a product for "non-fans" when "non-fans" are extremely unlikely to be buying the product in the first place.

20. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Or it'll show them that there's a market for more rehashes of stuff we've seen ad nauseum, and so they'll decide it's never worth the bother of producing useful material instead.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

*immature schoolyard teasing here*

:D

:p

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Hey, at least I can take comfort in the fact that your new Empire's main capital ship is named after your least favorite officer. :p

Tag, you it! :D

--Adm. Nick

23. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Sure wish somebody with an early released copy of the NEW STOG would show us the ship called NEBULA. I'm hurting to know if it be the Nebula Class Star Destroyer. So PLEASE, P-L-E-A-S-E post it. I'm on the verge of blowing my motivator like a certain R4 unit. So if there is any pity to be had please show me the Nebula picture. I'd like to smile again. Tuesday is so far away. :_| , [face_praying]

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I am still hoping that the Mon Cal cruiser section gives stats and some mention to the other classes besides the MC80.

As for the picture, I bet someone ten bucks the picture chosen for the Mon Cal cruiser is the freaking winged Liberty. God forbid they include a full color, detailed shot of a MC90 or some other ship we rarely see visually.

--Adm. Nick

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.