main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Trailer Visual Effects Glitches

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by John_FC, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediOutcast

JediOutcast Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2001
    JediByKnight:

I stand corrected. You are totally right on the whole Palpatine issue.

Still I must hold to my opinon on the trailer, not the movie. The movie is not out so, I can not judge it.

2. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    *Cries*
    I can't work out what I'm looking forward to more- Jedi Knight 2 or Episode 2.
    I don't want to disscuss this in the rather immature Episode 2 forum so I will talk here. IT LOOKS AMASING. One thing! No yellow lightsabres! I was told there wouild be! I was lied to!

3. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I have to say, I love this trailer, but one thing pees the hell out of me... There is one shot in the trailer that is being used in my fan film. It's the one where Anakin jumps out of the speeder, and falls down ("Now, if you'll excuse me...").

People that have my screenplay will know it - It's the scene where Kad'Jo kills himself with the Thermal Detonator, and Ulic hurls himself off the building to escape the blast... Now, when people see it, they will say "Hey, you ripped that off ATOC!!!"

I CAN'T WIN!!! :p

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    uh huh ... yeah right. ;) :p

5. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Hang on, didn't I give you a copy? Go check it for yourself! :p

6. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    I think the stuff should have had a more REAL look to it. The OT had used more creativity in making scenes work by physically putting in creatures or BUILDING environments. It gave such a real look to it. I'm still kinda saddened by Yoda being CG. I'd rather see them mix CG and puppetry together (CG being when he's fighting or something not doable by a little puppet).

I think the whole CG thing has gotten a little out of hand with Star Wars. I KNOW I will love Episode II, but I think I will ALWAYS favor the OT for it's hard work and creativity of people bringing the aliens and environments to life by using models, beautifully done matte paintings and puppetry. Pure genius and realism. It all works and none of it looked fake to me.

I think CG should only be used when the creative team cannot successfully fulfill the demands of certain shots. Sure EPII has a lot of cases where that is necessary, but others where they could have done things differently.

7. Ryebread

Ryebread Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    Compared to TPM the visual effects in AOTC are simply stunning. No movie is ever perfect because you don't have forever to tweak things and everyone's opinion of perfection is different anyway. Everyone here saying they could improve this scene or that will only be doing so in their opinion. For every person who sees a flaw there are countless others that think it as just right. Why do you seek to tear the trailer apart anyway? Did you get rejected for a job at ILM? You may as well be content with the final product because no amount of whining will make George's vision change. Anyway, if it is so hideously flawed and not faithful to the originals in story or execution don't bother seeing the movie.

8. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    I wasn't dissin' the EPII movie at all nor TPM, but the ONLY thing I'd like is if Yoda wasn't CG. Poor guy... :(

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE CLOOOONES!!!

9. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Ninja, I feel your pain. you wouldn't belive how many times this has happened to me. It all stated with the Handstand scene in Rumble in the Bronx...

Pete

10. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Am I the only one here who hasn't seen the trailer?

11. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Hey Pete, you know what they say, "Great minds think alike!!!" :D

12. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, Ninja....

I think you an Lucas BOTH stole it from The 5th Element escape scene!

Have fun!

13. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Yeah, I noted that similarity as well.

14. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Alright, listen. Everything is amazing. Period. We can't do it and they can, bottom line.

I remember that some people were saying in a few years we might be able to match TPM, and some already have (just not in terms of scope). Well, the bar has been raised... on EVERY LEVEL.

Look at TPM's coruscent and look at this one, SOOOO much more detail. Look at ANYTHING from TPM and look at this one... everything is more detailed... EVERYTHING. Lucas isn't just teaching an old dog new tricks... he's freaking mating thoroughbreads.

And I can't beleive no one has commented on the shot where the giant asteroid blows up... that was perfect... look at it, it looks honest to god real.

Anyways, on the lightsabres, look at one shot where anakin is holding his, the bottom of the sabre is rounded... it was done in some shots of TPM but not in the fight scenes. These guys took the time to add that extra bit of glow on the bottom of the sabre during a fight... we are still figuring out the best way to do straight lines!

And to keep this on topic and fanfilm related: the rounding at the bottom in ATOC sabres must have been as tough as the cane sabres in 65th sense.

CYa
    Mike

15. MC3PIO

MC3PIO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 19, 2000
    "Lucas isn't just teaching an old dog new tricks... he's freaking mating thoroughbreads."

Great line. I love it.

Anyone notice the sound fx for that hovercar in the beginning sound like that of the speeder bikes? Also, did anyone else hear Vader's breathing ever so slightly on the soundtrack when Dooku is trying to tempt Kenobi? Maybe I'm just crazy.

16. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Hmmm, my first thought about that jump was how much it reminded me of the 5th Element also. Then there's the stadium scene which is like gladiator.

One thing I'm really disapointed about is how Jar Jar hasn't had a speaking part in any of the trailers. Instead of making him more appealing to those that didn't like him in ep1, it's sad that they've just left him out apart from a couple of boring office shots where he's not doing anything. Poor Ahmed.

17. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    I thought it looked great and very sharp but isn't that solely the result of this film being 100% entirely shot digitally?
    TPM had parts of it done but this film from start to finish was filmed in binary... [face_laugh]
    Dunno about you people who have the time to critcize the thing...I was too busy being blown away by the sheer scope and immersive settings that this story takes place in.
    The crew certainly pulled in a lot of overtime on this one!
    I could see George now...you guys are supposed to be the best!!! You guys got beat by the fans of the GAP commercials do you realize that?! :p
    If Lord of the Rings beats out Attack of the Clones in the visual effects department then it'll be a sad day for ILM. ;)

18. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    The new trailer is great. I love it.

But on the issue of lightsabers:

The rotoscoping is cool.

The auras leave a lot to be desired in quite a few shots.

I try not to sound arrogant as much as possible, but I could do equal or better lightsaber effects than what I've seen from the AOTC trailers. I could say the same for a handful of other members of this forum.

Give me the unrotoscoped footage, George. I'll work for free.

19. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    I thought I was the only one that thought the rotoscoping was bad. I'm watching the trailer on my big screen and when it was over I thought cool, But then I started to think about some of the scenes. I really thought that in every scene that Mace was in with Purple screen was below standard expectations. I just hope the effects problems are on the trailer only and corrected when the movie comes out.

I dont want to make anyone mad or anything but thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First of all, the screen wasn't PURPLE, it just looked that way in the EP II select pic, and second, theres one shot of Mace in the Arena in the trailer. How can you make an assumption about his purple screen shots being less than perfect from one shot? And besides, that one shot was pretty flawless. If you think theres something wrong with it, theres something wrong with YOU. Sorry for being a jerk this one time.

20. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    The purple saber, I believe he meant.
    And I agree.
    That's shot's the low point of the Episode II saber shots thus far. :(

21. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    no hes talkin about the the purple screen, maybe i can find the link to the select picture...

yeah you know the one

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    "First of all, the screen wasn't PURPLE, it just looked that way in the EP II select pic,"

So what colour is it then?

23. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I still can't believe you people are picking apart the TRAILER.

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE .... TAKE A WALK .... PLEASE !!!

24. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Halibut,

It was blue. They created that select picture as an 'in joke' becuase Samuel L Jackson asked for a purple lightsabre, so they altered the bluescreen and made it look purple in that select shot too (I only found this out the other day)

I'm just watched the trailer a couple of times again, and it all looks absolutely stunning to me. Roll on May 16th. :) This constructive criticism is just something that anyone that produced stuff has to enjoy/endure, it seems to come with the territory. It's when people don't care to scrutinize that you really have to worry :)

25. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Okay, I don't want to knitpick the trailer, because there is already a thread for that, but as for that shot of Mace with his purple saber, acting all badass, check out the far left of the screen -- That's Jango Fett's backpack, if I'm not too much mistaken! :p

Must keep an eye out for that scene!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.