main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends !! NEW !! Whenever, Wherever! [Songfic: Anakin, Mara, Tahiri, Chak Fel - set during SbS]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [Just a silly little 'fic - a sort of songfic, though it's got kinda longer than I intended and if you can't see how the song in question is appropriate, don't worry - I'm (ab)using it mainly to provide an appropriate rhythm for the Carnival setting, and to serve metaphorically as an inappropriate karaoke duet by two of the characters...

It may make more sense later - or it may not! :D [face_mischief] :p

Yub Yub! [face_laugh]]

A well-proportioned room on the piano nobile of a faded colonial mansion, perhaps once a guest bedchamber or an after-dinner drawing room, but invaded now by the exigencies of the modern age. Piles of hard-copy paperwork, far more than the three filing-cabinets could hold. Scattered computer equipment, tied together by the tangled wiring of hard-link communications feeds, the dark plast casings of the devices offset by the chrome-edged glint of built-in ports and emitters. A powerful caf machine taking up half the desk.

An old rug still covered the sand-smooth timber floor, the pattern in the pile frayed away in places. Stucco and gilding shone and swirled on the ceiling, framing a massive painting of some metaphorical scene. Two gilt-framed landscapes hung on the ochre-painted walls above the mahogany wainscotting, showing a river valley and ruins, somewhere on a temperate world that probably owed more to the artist's imagination than any real planet.

The furniture was old and mismatched, mixing the veneered elegance of colonial pieces with the expressive exuberance of the richly-carved local styles - and jumbled further by being rearranged to accomodate the computer equipment, the paperwork, and the self-important caf-machine on the desk. The general air of confusion helped to disguise the incongruity of the well-stocked drinks cabinet on the other side of the room and the unprofessional stacks of miscellaneous paper-cover books.

Between the doorway and the narrow squint of a window that caught the morning light from the mansion's inner courtyard, a space had been cleared to make room for a folding bed, with a collapsable wardrobe fitted in the awkward angle behind the half-open door - a light, sturdy construction of canvas and reworked alloy struts, bought in the sailors' market. At some point, the room's present occupant seemed to have been inspired to setting up a similarly-constructed sailcloth curtian to screen off his bunk, but the project had been abandonned half-complete, and the curtain, wrapped around its pole, stood propped against the floor beneath a small, flaking hole drilled in the wall.

In fact, the room had always been an office - three centures earlier, when the building had been built as the townhouse of a local gentleman-merchant, it had served as the business salon. In those days, a degree of style and elegance had been deemed appropriate even for the modest office from which Jiego in Verrem and his two secretaries sold grain, grapes and melons to the grocers and bakers of Baia. Then, the round-faced, round-bellied storekeepers had been ushered into the office by a slim, liveried butler with the disdainful grace of an aristocrat, and noted with approval that, while their supplier might overcharge them extortionately, he deigned to do so in undeniably civilized surroundings, and over an ample glass of imported wine from Homeworld.

But in the modern Galaxy, the memory of a civilized past found itself locked in a combat with the mess of electronic equiplment necessary to run a modest military intelligence network, and the pathological untidiness of the man whose job it was to run it.

At that moment, the man in question was standing with his back to the chaos of his life, framed in the deep embrasure of the tall window at the far end of the room from the door - the window that looked out over the square, rising almost from floor to ceiling. In deference to the ongoing 'security situation', he kept the window shut, but he could feel the air coming through the cracks between the sash and the frame, smiling at the touch of the lucid sunshine on his face. It

2. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yup - I like it Thrawn. The scene at the start is very Renaissance isn't it? Like one of those beautiful old paintings. As usual the language is gorgeous.

I like the lacunae in the dialogue between Anakin and Mara. So much depends upon absence . . . LOL ;)

Let me know when you continue it.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will finally get time to read DP.

3. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Tahi: Yup - I like it Thrawn.

Thanks! :D :cool:

The scene at the start is very Renaissance isn't it? Like one of those beautiful old paintings.

Hmn... hadn't thought of that - though now you mention it... hmm...

As usual the language is gorgeous.

Thanks again, but... um... [face_blush]

Doesn't flow as much as I'd like. [face_plain] [face_frustrated] Might still fritter with it some time... the light, the stillness, and some of the colours are the things I missed out, I think...

:)

I like the lacunae in the dialogue between Anakin and Mara. So much depends upon absence . . . LOL ;)

Are you mocking me? [face_mischief] :p

- The Imperial Ewok

4. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Hey, this is great! I wish I had time for a proper reply, but DRL is really kicking my butt of late. :mad: Anyway, I really enjoyed this one. Its been ages since I really visited BTS, my plot bunnies have been dry in this era as well. This might just knock off some of the rust though. ;)

JD.

5. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    I read this awhile ago, and just now realized that I forgot to reply. :oops:

It may make more sense later - or it may not! :D [face_mischief] :p

ISIWMPSLTMcE :p :D

I loved the visuals at the beginning. Truly stunning! :D

Looking forward to more of Chak and Aurek-7! :D Just curious, will we get to see what happened to put Chak out of action, or is it not important to this story?

The incomplete Anakin, Mara section looks really interesting. For some reason, I really loved the line Ben Skywalker lay smiling in his cot, contented little emperor of an innocent universe. I guess it made me think of my own little tyrant . . . erm. I mean son. :)

Patiently awaiting more! :D

6. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    JDH3: Hey, this is great! I wish I had time for a proper reply, but DRL is really kicking my butt of late. :mad:

That bad, huh? :mad: [face_plain]

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one.

[face_blush] Thanks! ;) :D

Its been ages since I really visited BTS, my plot bunnies have been dry in this era as well. This might just knock off some of the rust though.

Here's to hoping...!

[bangs JDH3's navacomp]

Scoundrel: I read this awhile ago, and just now realized that I forgot to reply. :oops:

Hah! [face_laugh] :)

ISIWMPSLTMcE :p :D

You're an optimist, right...? ;)

I loved the visuals at the beginning. Truly stunning! :D

I'm still not entirely happy with it... [face_plain] It'll probably be slightly tweaked when the next scene gets sorted out... [face_plain] [face_mischief]

Looking forward to more of Chak and Aurek-7! :D Just curious, will we get to see what happened to put Chak out of action, or is it not important to this story?

It won't be a major plot-element, but he might brood on it some - he got kinda blown up and his Clawcraft with him...

The incomplete Anakin, Mara section looks really interesting.

","? [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

For some reason, I really loved the line Ben Skywalker lay smiling in his cot, contented little emperor of an innocent universe. I guess it made me think of my own little tyrant . . . erm. I mean son. :)

AWW! [face_blush] :)

Patiently awaiting more! :D

You're not the only one, y'know... [face_mischief] :p

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    You're an optimist, right...? ;)

Yep. :D I think life's a little more pleasant if you try to look at the bright side of things as much as possible. :)

I'm still not entirely happy with it... [face_plain]

Gee, what a surprise. ;)

It'll probably be slightly tweaked when the next scene gets sorted out... [face_plain] [face_mischief]

I'll make sure to check for it.

It won't be a major plot-element, but he might brood on it some - he got kinda blown up and his Clawcraft with him...

** winces **
    Ouch. :(

","? [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

I see you noticed that I'm being careful of my use of "/" and "," ;) [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

You're not the only one, y'know... [face_mischief] :p

I'd say "I know" . . . but around here, that's a phrase you don't throw around casually. ;) [face_laugh]

8. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Scoundrel: Yep. :) I think life's a little more pleasant if you try to look at the bright side of things as much as possible. :)

You, me and Monty Python, huh? ;) :D

Gee, what a surprise. ;)

Well, now you know how the rest of us feel! [face_mischief] :p

I'll make sure to check for it.

Thanks! ;) :cool:

** winces ** Ouch. :(

Aye, poor Chak... being blown up hurts some... :(

But he's okay, now... they just can't quite be sure he has the same combat reflexes - hence, no Clawcraft...

I see you noticed that I'm being careful of my use of "/" and "," ;) [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

Yep... I wasn't sure if you'd appreciate me mentioning your amusing misuse of the "/" in the PM, but the opportunity to dredge up the infamous '","' from Dark Paths seemed like something that made some sort of comment worth the while... :p ;) :D

I'd say "I know" . . . but around here, that's a phrase you don't throw around casually. ;) [face_laugh]

Aye - I'd say "I know"... but around here, that's a phrase you don't throw around casually, either! [face_laugh]

And you didn't even need to use a mind-trick on me! :p

- The Imperial Ewok

9. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    *claps* Bravo!! Encore!! That was great. It really did sound like a painting at the beginning. Loved the crack Anakin made about he and Luke being a cute couple. Very Anakin.

Great job!

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Ambyr: *claps* Bravo!! Encore!! That was great. It really did sound like a painting at the beginning. Loved the crack Anakin made about he and Luke being a cute couple. Very Anakin.

Great job!

[face_blush] Thanks! :cool:

And no, the 'fic isn't dead! [face_mischief]
    "They're in there," Anakin said, lowering the macrobinocs and passing them to Tahiri. Neither of them lifted their gaze from the building, but the way they moved around each other seemed almost symbiotic.

As Tahiri turned her attention to the target, Chak pursed his lips in what might have been the mildest of frowns, snapped the tac goggles back down over his eyes, and resumed his own examination of the building. Guards on the gate, guards in the tower, probably more guards inside. Company-strength unit, he guessed, and what they lacked in terms of an organized chain of command, they would make up in viciousness and heavy weapons.

And they just had him, four stormtroopers, and two Jedi.

With a nostalgic smile, he glanced at Grappler, and saw the white plasteel helmet nod in answer. His smile became a grin. The Eckarie was thinking exactly the same thing as he was.

And that gave him a whole lot more confidence about the idea he had just had. It was still crazy, but it might just work.

"Okay," he said, standing up, and nodding to his troopers. "Time to solve our problem, Jedi Solo."

"Hey!" Anakin asked, looking at him in something like alarm. Behind him, Tahiri was lowering the macrobinocs, turning slowly to look at him, something cool and deadly in her gaze. "What are you doing!?"

In answer, Commander Chak Fel, warrior of the Hand, just grinned.

"I'm walking up to the front door and asking nicely," he shrugged. "It's the Imperial way. You two coming or not?"
    ;) :p :D

- The Imperial Ewok

11. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    Yep... I wasn't sure if you'd appreciate me mentioning your amusing misuse of the "/" in the PM

Oh, I don't mind. (Although I do appreciate you not pointing out that it gives Parallels a completely unintended and illegal spin. :eek:)

but the opportunity to dredge up the infamous '","' from Dark Paths seemed like something that made some sort of comment worth the while... :p ;) :D

You gotta admit, that was some witty dialogue! [face_laugh]

And you didn't even need to use a mind-trick on me! :p

I told you, I'm being good now! O:)

And no, the 'fic isn't dead! [face_mischief]

Woo Hoo! :D :D

And they just had him, four stormtroopers, and two Jedi.

Hmm . . . throw in a slightly irritating Chiss General, and this reminds me of something . . . ;) [face_mischief]

"I'm walking up to the front door and asking nicely," he shrugged. "It's the Imperial way. You two coming or not?"

[face_laugh]

Looking forward to more! :D

12. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Oh, I don't mind. (Although I do appreciate you not pointing out that it gives Parallels a completely unintended and illegal spin. :eek:)

:eek: [face_laugh] :_|

You gotta admit, that was some witty dialogue! [face_laugh]

All I can say is... '","'! :p

I told you, I'm being good now! O:)

You're being good now! ;)

Woo Hoo! :D :D

Yay! :cool:

*Happy Ewok!*

Hmm . . . throw in a slightly irritating Chiss General, and this reminds me of something . . . ;) [face_mischief]

Well, in this 'fic, it's a slightly insane Scott^H^HCorrelian Admiral... [face_mischief] :p

" [face_laugh]"

:D I hoped that line would work! ;)

Looking forward to more! :D :D

**smiles back sweetly**

See, you don't even need to say it now! ;) :p

- The Imperial Ewok

13. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    [Okay, this ?fic has been dead for a while. The good news is that it?s only mostly dead. The bad news is that I?m going to try to rework it in the style of Dennis Potter ? or rather, of a Dennis Potter homage like Alain Resnais? On Connaît la Chanson and the recent BBC drama Blackpool?

For those who don?t know, this means that the characters will use any given opportunity to launch into showy song-and-dance routines based around lipsynching random pop-songs ? and you also have to watch out for equally random pop-culture references doing a ton in the middle of the hyperlane?

Now for anyone who thinks that this is wholly inappropriate for Star Wars, I?ll simply refer you to Rick McCallum?s resumé. The Prequels are just Blackpool without the songs or the self-knowledge?]

[face_blush] :p Well... If you can stomach that idea, the new thread for the all-singing, all-dancing Whenever, Wherever v2.0 is here!! :D [face_dancing] [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.