main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Newbie Adoptions v5.5 ? LATEST UPDATE: 12/03-

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Stridarious, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Daniel edit: Thread locked. Please check out the next version of Newbie Adoptions here.

[color=DFDFE0]Newbie Adoptions v5.5[/color]

Hello, Newbies! :) Are you feeling a bit lost? Are you intimidated by the sheer size of the Jedi Council Forums? Do you want to blend in quickly, make friends fast and avoid common rookie mistakes? Then you have certainly come to the right place!

Here you will find a collection of experienced and caring "oldbies" who are dedicated to helping you learn the ways of the boards. Once you've been adopted, you'll be able to direct any question about the forums, no matter how small or silly they may seem, to your adopter. So, get adopted today!

Joining is very easy: All you have to do is to announce that you would like to become an adoptee. :D You can either post a message in this thread, or contact the coordinator dircetly.

The adoptions coordinator, Skiara are your contact for any and all adoptions-related questions and concerns.
    The easiest way to contact them is by Private Message; if you are not able to send them yet you can also reach her by e-mail (see [color=000000]profile[/color] for contact information) or simply leave a message in this thread. You will usually receive a reply within 24 hours.

You then can choose between three different ways of getting adopted: You can
    1. choose a user from the list of "free oldbies waiting to adopt" posted below and contact them directly,
    2. wait for an oldbie to contact you or
    3. ask the coordinator(s) to pair you up with a suitable adopter.
    In the third case, you may specify preferences towards your adopter (favorite boards, age, gender, location etc.) - the coordinator(s) will try to find someone who matches your interests, however there is no guarantee that all of your wishes will be met.

Once you have been adopted (which should not take more than a few days at most), please inform the coordinator that you are "off the market" ;), she will then make sure you and your adopter will be listed as an official adoptions pair. If you like, you can additionally announce your new status in your signature (e.g. "Adoptee of User X").

There is no time limit for the adoptions - you can stay with your adopter as long as you like, until you feel comfortable navigating the boards on your own. Should any problems arise during your adoption, please notify the coordinator immediately and she will do her best to clear up the situation quickly. :)

Oldbies who are interested in adopting a newbie can also sign up by posting a message in this thread or contacting the coordinator, Skiara, in private.

Potential adopters must be registered users for at least four months and have a minimum post count of 400 posts. Oldbies may only adopt one newbie at a time; exceptions will only be granted with just cause.

There are three ways to get together with an adoptee: You can
    1. contact someone from the list of "free newbies" below
      (and any newbie who signed up recently and has not been added to the list yet of course),
    2. wait for a newbie to contact you or
    3. ask the coordinator to pair you up with a suitable adoptee.
    In the third case, you may specify preferences towards your adoptee (favorite boards, age, gender, location etc.) - the coordinator will try to find someone who matches your interests, but there is no guarantee that your wishes will be met.

Adopters are encouraged to visit the Welcome New Users Forum regularly to show their continued interest in the adoptions program; this way you will also be able to keep an eye on the newest po

2. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002

[b][color=darkgreen][u]Just for Oldbies: A Guide on How to Attract Newbies.[/u][/b][/color][hr][/blockquote]
    [ul][li][u][b][color=red]Sell Yourself[/color][/b][/u]: Advertise yourself in your [i]bio[/i]. For example, you may want to begin by listing your favorite [i]SW[/i] film, [i]SW[/i] book and [i]SW[/i] character. Here's a true story told by former Adoptions Co-ordinator, [b]MASTER_OBI-DAN[/b]: ?[i]when I was [b][color=darkslateblue]Newbie[/b][/color] searching for an [b][color=maroon]Adopter[/b][/color], I ended up choosing one strictly because it was evident from both her username and bio that she was a huge [b]Obi-Wan Kenobi[/b] fan like me. Now, if I had found an [b][color=maroon]Adopter[/b][/color] that was an über-Björk fan too, I may have made a different choice.[/i]? Thus, if you have any passions/interests outside of the [i]SW Universe[/i], you may want to list these too, as you may just happen to cross paths with a [b][color=darkslateblue]Newbie[/b][/color] who is also a kindred spirit. [face_wink][/li]

[li][u][b][color=blue]Get Your Hustle On[/b][/color][/u]: For those of you very keen on adopting [b][color=darkslateblue]Newbies[/b][/color], be sure to post in the various ?[i]introduction[/i]? and ?[i]help[/i]? threads that are often posted in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10181][b]W[/b]elcome [b]N[/b]ew [b]U[/b]sers[/link] forum. In these threads, always be sure to be warm, welcoming, helpful, courteous and respectful to [b][color=darkslateblue]Newbies[/b][/color]. And only if the moment is fortuitous, gently re-direct them to the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16268901][b][color=darkmagenta]Newbie Adoptions Thread[/color][/b][/link] or mention the many merits of being adopted by an seasoned [b][color=maroon]Oldbie[/b][/color] like yourself. But always be mindful not to be either overbearing or pressuring. [face_wink][/li]

[li][u][b][color=green]Adoptee Recommendations[/b][/color][/u]: If you?ve spent some serious time both helping and developing a good rapport with an [b][color=darkslateblue]Adoptee[/b][/color] of yours, who is now ready to graduate to [b][color=darkgreen]Midbie[/b][/color]-status, you may want to ask them if they wouldn?t mind posting a personal recommendation of you and your abilities as an [b][color=maroon]Adopter[/b][/color] in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16268901][b][color=darkmagenta]Newbie Adoptions Thread[/color][/b][/link]. Most former [b][color=darkslateblue]Adoptees[/b][/color] will gladly do this, as a sign of their appreciation for all your efforts with them. And if you're particularly keen and if you have their permission to do so, once their recommendation is posted, you may want to add it to your [i]bio[/i] for all those searching [b][color=darkslateblue]Newbies[/b][/color] that may stumble across it in the future. [face_wink][/li][/ul]

3. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002

[b][color=darkslateblue][u]Just for Newbies: A Guide to Essential Threads.[/u][/b][/color][hr][/blockquote]
    [ul][li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=3330990][b][color=red]The JC Glossary v5.0[/b][/color][/link]: Have you ever comes across a term or abbreviation in the [b]JC[/b] that you are unfamiliar with? [face_confused] If so, you may want to check out this thread, as chances are that you?ll find out what it means. [face_happy][/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9732743][color=blue][b]A Newbie?s Map of the Boards[/b][/color][/link]: A great thread that will give you a quick overview of all the [b]JC?s[/b] main forums. [face_wink][/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Informational_Threads/b10313/15110138/?0][color=green][b]The Guide to Administrators and Forums[/b][/color][/link]: Here is a complete and up-to-date list of all the [b]Administrators[/b], [b]Managers[/b], and [b]Moderators[/b] and the forums that they're assigned to. [face_grin][/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5953570][color=darkorchid][b]The JCC Guide to Better Posting[/b][/color][/link]: An excellent thread that will not only help to improve the quality of your posts but will also to help you to avoid making common rookie mistakes. [face_wink][/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=4042371][color=teal][b]The Complete Colour Listing[/b][/color][/link]: Here is the thread that lists all the [b][color=navy]colours[/b][/color] that are available for use in the [b]JC[/b]. [face_grin][/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5092339&page=11][color=deeppink][b]Practice Markup Codes[/b][/color][/link]: Have you ever wanted to try out a certain [i]markup code[/i] before using it in a formal post? [face_confused] Well, here is the appropriate thread to practice it in and to experiment with others. [face_happy][/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/14737962/?36][b][color=red]A Newcomer?s Guide to FanFic[/b][/color][/link]: Have you ever wished to make a interesting FanFic, but not know how to get it off the ground? [face_confused] then, this is the thread for you! This thread, will guide you every step of the way to making a great Fan Fiction![/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/12113876/?75][color=blue][b]FanForce Open House[/b][/color][/link]: Wish to get fixed into a SW related club/group within your community? Well, you?re just a click away from that dream. Simply click on this link, and view the thousands if not millions of available FanForces within your region [face_happy] .[/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/12914533/?76][color=green][b]Introduction to Social Groups[/b][/color][/link]: Ever wondered what little clicks you can get involved in to better your knowledge of other users? Well, within this thread, several related/non related SW groups are listed for your convenience [face_wink] .[/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/15819893/?17][color=darkorchid][b]Newbies Frequently Asked Questions[/b][/color][/link]: Have any questions? Don?t wish to ask it in public? Please check out this thread as to get them answered. And, if they?re not listed, ask, as so that you?re question may help to answer another users [face_happy] .[/li]

[li][link=http://boards.theforce.net/Welcome_New_Users/b10181/15819893/?17][color=teal][b]Guide for Newbies: Look at all the pretty buttons[/b][/color][/link]: [face_shock] See a lot of buttons? Don?t know what they all mean? Get your answers here. And master these forums! [face_grin] [/li] [/ul]

4. Ewok15

Ewok15 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 1, 2002
    Awesome Strid! I like it!

EDIT: Wow I just realized! 5.0!!!!!!! Sweet!!

5. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Ewok15: "Awesome Strid! I like it!"

Thanks! :D I figured since my return, and the amount of pages placed on the other thread, it was about time to make a new one ;) . Besides, there were many alterations that needed notation to a "new" beginning :) .

"Wow I just realized! 5.0!!!!!!! Sweet!!"

Yep, another thread, which I have been blessed to be the Co-ordinator of! :D

6. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Nice work, Alex! I am also happy that you put those links in. It will prove very helpful to the newbies. :D

7. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Jedi_Humaira_Blaine: "Nice work, Alex! I am also happy that you put those new links in. It will prove very helpful to the newbies. :D "

Yep, I went through alot of those threads made both recently and many months ago, and opted to add them. Mainly because of their information appeared to be very useful ;) . However, the only problem is that they will only be seen if the user looks at the first page. Which, will only last till we hit the next page... :(

8. Ewok15

Dec 1, 2002
    Unless you put them in the update sheet

Althouh then the update sheet would be kind of long

9. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Ewok15: "Althouh then the update sheet would be kind of long"

Yeah, we originally did do it that way. But, had to stop because of the loading time... :(

10. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Read my mind, Ewok! ;)

Well, I could definitely do that if you want Alex. :) If you feel it's too long, perhaps you can post these updates soon after the regular one...hmm...

11. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Awesome new thread strid! The loading time's alot faster than on the old one too. :D

12. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Yup, it is alot faster, and i'm on an old computer! :p

Evil.

13. yoda-is-my-homeboy

yoda-is-my-homeboy Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2004
    yay! new thread!

super job, Strid! :)

14. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    Yaaaay!!!
    Nice new thread!
    Really good work Strid!

Hello Newbies!
    Come, explore our lovely new Adoptions Thread! :D

15. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Co-ordinational Notepad: "Long time Co-ordinator, first time poster!"

Well, as you all have seen, since the many changes to the list, I have opted to open this new thread. As a fresh starting point for the program ;) . I am blessed beyond reason with the amount of great out-pouring for the program helpers/volunteers. And, look forward to their continual work in the near future. May God richly bless all of you, and, enjoy the new place! :D

P.S. The update is always modified ech day. So, if it is not posted, you can request to view it ;) . Unless of course I fall behind... :( Which, I am not planning on happening anytime soon :p .

16. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Version 5? :eek: :D They are getting many! :D

Good work! :D

And have fun every adopter and adoptee! ;) :D

17. Pyromantice

Pyromantice Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2004
    version 5...
    thats way to many...
    your turning into aol!!!! in a week youll have version 8!!!

18. Ewok15

Dec 1, 2002
    your turning into aol!!!!

[face_laugh] We don't want that, now do we

Actually, the 4th one lasted about a year. So I except this one to last the same amount of time.

19. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    A new thread! cool
    Congrats for V. 5.0 Strid

When am I going to be a Midbie? :D

20. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Never! :p

I'm not even a midbie yet! :(

Evil.

21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
  22. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    A new tread :cool: :D *boing boing*

23. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Pyromantice: "version 5...
    thats way to many...
    your turning into aol!!!! in a week youll have version 8!!!
    "

Well... [face_mischief]

*closes the windows and pulls out a stack of papers, partially creased*

Your idea is not too far fetched in my eyes. See, the NAP, (Newbie Adoptions Program), team has all ready begun work on v6.0. And trust me. If you like this, you're going to love [face_love] that! ;)

Here are a few of the new system perks:

a. Quicker load time
    b. Free Coffee
    c. "PM waiting"
    d. Adoptions Buddy list
    e. Free subscribtion to Adoptions monthly!

and so much more... :D

So, come on down, and for all of you faithful users. I'll make the price $2.00's for you! [face_money_eyes] So, get it while it's still hot! As it stands we only have three in reservation... [face_liarliar]

*nose grows larger*

[face_plain] Um...perhaps you should just ignore that... [face_whistling] :p

24. young_padme

young_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    [face_laugh]

But anyway.... I love new threads.... they just feel so fresh and so clean... especially ones with bright pretty colors... :D

:p

25. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    It's nice, it's different, it's unusual.

The thread that is.

I like it, I like it alot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.