main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Newbie Fanfiction Circle

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Ornen, Mar 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    I don't know if this has been done before, but I think I'll try it. You can sign up, but if you join you have to five fanfics written by other members, and they would have to read yours. We're essentially exchanging reviews; and while this is aimed at us n00bs, anyone can join, but you don't have to read stories that are too long.

Anyone interested? Link for my story is in my sig.

2. katha

katha Jedi Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    Sure I'll join :)
    Hopefully my story isn't considered too long
    My story is also in my signature

3. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    I'll join, us newbies have to stick together, hehe.

Actually, this forum doesn't have the traditional "newbie bashing" that 99% of other forums I've been to have, or maybe it's just characteristic of gaming forums.

Anyway, I'll read your guys' fics a.s.a.p, but I have 3 projects I need to work on, so I'll check them out sometime soon. Mine is in my sig, btw. :)

4. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    Yes, however, its still hard for us noobs to get recognized. I'll probably read your fics later today.

5. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm not a newbie anymore, but I'll still try to look in on all your fics. I still remember being a readerless newbie.

6. JediMasterJuan

JediMasterJuan Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2003
    Where do I go to announce the coming of a fan film, feature length?

7. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    juan, try the fan film section, in Fan Activities.

Hey, I'm not really a noob, but I do have very few reviews on my stories.

Looks like i've already got a lot to read...

8. seizetsu

seizetsu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    Hey, I'll join, as long as we don't get hundreds of new memebers who's fics I will be forced to read :)

9. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    Ornen - great start on your fic. I posted in the thread, too.

katha - sorry, yours is pretty long. it intimidated me. i'll try to get around to it later.

Soulwalker - interesting prologue. i'll check it out again, once you put a little more up.

10. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    If anybody's in favor of a new system I've come up with, tell me. We'll use it for now, unless people here don't like it, and expect it to change some.

You only have to read five fics posted by members of the circle, but certain fics will not count after they have been read by ten people in the circle.

For example, someone writes a fanfic that's really good, and you want to read it as one of your five, you could read it, but it wouldn't count.

11. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Ornen - Read your first two chapters, nice job with keeping the pace up. I posted my thoughts in the thread.

katha - Whoa, I promise I'll get to this over Spring Break. Right now, if I tried to read this, I'd probably end up failing all my current projects, hehe.

Oh, and in reply to Ornen's suggestion, I really don't mind either way. I'd probably end up reading everyone's fanfics anyway, since there are a lot of awesome writers on this forum. :)

Also, thanks for your comments zeekveerko, I'll have Chapter One up a.s.a.p.

12. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    yeah, five fics sounds good. it'd be a lot of work to read a fic from everyone who posts in this thread.

by the way, ornen, good job on this thread. usually these threads are just full of advertisements... maybe some people read them... but i like how you made it a community effort to get some fics read.

13. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    Soulwalker, I was beginning to read yours, but I havn't finished NJO yet...

14. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    That's alright. I used material from the beginning of NJO all the way up to Destiny's Way, so once you get there, don't feel afraid to trip over spoilers or anything.

BTW, I updated my fic, so whoever has begun reading it, check it again if you have time. :D

15. seizetsu

Jan 20, 2003
    I've got a question about this whole thing. Will I, who haven't read much EU, have to read NJO or other EU based fics? I know that I only have to read 5 fics, but from what I can gather there aren't more than one linked story so far that wouldn't spoil me. I'd really like to read all of the books as unspoiled as I can, and so I am wondering if one may skip stories until there comes one that isn't of a spoiling nature?

Well, in order not to just whine I'll give you some credit for this idea as well, Ornen. Good work :)

16. zeekveerko

Apr 30, 2002
    I think as long as we all make an effort to read stories from the authors posting in here it'll work out fine. Just read the stories that won't spoil you. I'm sure others will come along. I'm not a big fan of NJO, myself, but I've gathered some knowledge on it from some fanfics and authors, so your fear of being spoiled is valid.

If it helps, Ornen's fic is totally AU/OT, and none of mine have any mention of NJO, or any EU spoilers.

17. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm not exactly a newbie, but hey, I'll read your guy's fics. I remember when no one knew me... :eek:

WAIT! That's still today. :_|

18. seizetsu

Jan 20, 2003
    Aw, poor Blaze, I'll read some of your fics if it'll make you feel better :)

Anyways, I read Ornen's first two chapters and left him a post there. That one is getting pretty interesting.

19. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    Yes, mine's pure... ;)

With the exception of Mara, but she's single in mine. Well, for now. There's also some basic SW stuff that isn't in the movies (so far mainly concerning the Wookies), but I have read about... Three EU books, nothing more. I'm starting NJO, but there won't be any mention of Vong in my current fic. Maybe in a far off sequel...

20. Tessine-Sabe

Tessine-Sabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2003
    Hey all~ I'd really love to join! I've just started on here as of I think the 12th, so I'm extremely new and I'd like to get some feedback on my stories too. *sigh* Poor us, no-one knows our genius enough to pay attention. ;-)

I'll get working on reading some of your fanficts as soon as I can. I'm just posting my first fan-fiction now. It's been written for years, but I've finished editing it and I'm going to post it chapter by chapter. There isn't a bit of NOJ or EU in it, so don't be afraid of spoilers...I also made a trailer for it. It's linked at the bottom of the page. Thank you for starting this!!

Cheers~
    Tess
    My story is [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10992145&replies=4] The Dark Planet [/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=3604701&page=13] Trailer [/link]

21. Ornen

Feb 22, 2003
    ^Expect a review tomorrow! ;)

Also, I got a third chapter up in my fic. Kinda short, but hey, that's life. ;)

22. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Tessine-Sabe: I read your fic, nice start, although it hasn't "gripped" me yet. Left more comments on your topic.

Ornen: Nice plot developments, I especially liked Luke's vision.

23. Tessine-Sabe

Tessine-Sabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2003
    Katha~ Nice story so far. I'm really interested. Your dialogue is really good and realistic. I didn't get to read all of it, but I'll try to get to it soon. :)

Soulwalker~Thanks much for the comment on The Dark Planet. :) I'll post soon.

Ornen~ left you a comment on your story. Me likes!

Tess

24. katha

katha Jedi Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    Ornen: I read yours and replied, hehe also liked the vision.. but then again I'm partial to dreams and visions. There are a bunch in my story.

Soulwalker and Tessine-Sabe: I will get to both of your stories as soon as I can, been a littler busy with school work. Hopefully I'll get a free moment later, got them bookmarked.

25. seizetsu

Jan 20, 2003
    Oh, dreams and visions [face_love]

I'm currently writing a crossover of "A Christmas Carrol". You know, the one with the ghosts of Christmas. It has lots and lots of possibilities for me to write wierd dreams, and I love it :D

EDIT: I'll get back to reading all the new stuff when I get back from school..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.