main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

=*== Newbie Welcome Party - Enjoy! ==*=

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Congrats, skiara
    I don't know what I'd do if my telly stopped working. Proibably just fall asleep again in the morning with my nose in the breakfast.:p

2. DunedinJedi

DunedinJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 22, 2007
    lol .. I hardly can imagine how it was not having an own televison...

3. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Good morning everyone. [:D]

A Padawan, Lanna? :eek:
    You'll do well. [:D]

I hate it when the TV doesn't work. :p

Back when I was a kid, not everyone had TVs and many that did only had black and white sets. I still have mine from when I was a kid. Plus we only had five channels to choose from and after 1:00 am(somewhere around there) they went off air and all you got was the test pattern and a continuous beep. I was maybe 9 when cable TV finally made its way to my city. They had satalite dishes back then but only the wealthy could afford them.

4. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Hello everyone [:D]

I agree, how can someone not own a TV! I certainly have one! However, my TV is broken since the early December, haven't really missed it enormously yet - but maybe I don't know what I'm missing ;)

Sure, we meet with our FF Lanna (and all the people that have shown up are either Dutch, or from the Flemish part of Belgium/speak well enough Dutch - I wonder if peoople from Wallonian part rather go to the French FF ;) - but not very very often. In a small country "far" is just a shorter distance, I find: we consider 1.5 - 2 hours travelling pretty far, and look amazed at people from America talking about sometimes driving up to 3 hours (w/o traffic jams) to get to work :D

The last Dutch FF meeting was when we had the travelling Yoda, in October of last year.

Congrats on the Padawan Lanna :)

5. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Hi DG[:D]

I remember the early TV times, too. What an exciting time when we suddenly had 5 *gasp* channels to choose from. the luxury.:p
    Still, I think if all good stuff was compiled to a few channels I would get on well with only two of them.[face_laugh]

Hmmm, I can't remember eer having seen the post of another Dutch on the boards. but I admit that I don't always go profile spying...

I will drive two hours for a really good party bu that's it. The way to work should not take longer than an hour, IMO. Otherwise your whole life gets eaten up by driving.[face_plain]

A writing padawan, yes.
    I'm a bit scared because it is a big responibility.[face_worried]

6. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh yeah, I remember those times as well. Only a test screen in the morning and in the night. It was so great when the private channels came on air as well. Sometimes I wonder how fast everything change.

A few days ago I heard a funny story about a boy who wanted to call home. He was away with his school class for a week and he promised to call his parents. But he didn't. When he arrived back home, he got asked why he hasn't called them. He said, that there was a weird telefon, which had no buttons but a flat disk which has 10 holes in it, and he didn't know how to use that. :confused: [face_laugh]

7. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I got my onw TV at the age of 17 or 18 so it is infact not that long ago ;P You get some nice testscreens aswell if youre lucky on satellite. unfortunately not these old ones , only some where maybe standing astra or so..

8. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    [face_laugh] at that story, skiara.
    When I think that I only had problems with the zeroes that had to be in or left out when calling from a different country.

Can't remember when I got my first own telly. It was a sorry affair, anyway, a kind of moving 'connect-the-dots' game.8-} Horrible picture quality.
    But I could finally go all fangirly over Murdoc with nobody seeing me rooting for a professional killer.:p

9. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I could see a kid now days not knowing how to use a rotory telephone. :p

Does anyone remember the old TVs that when you shut them off, the picture went down to a little dot of light in the middle of the screen that would stay there for several minutes?

You will do well, Lanna. I have faith in your ability. [:D]

Hi DU. [:D]

Anyone still around?

10. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm back.
    Had some work to do, rather annoying, when I'm actually here to spend a whole day online.:p

Can't remember those tellies. But I remember that stupid TV game with the two bars at the sides of the screen and the dot going between them. Spend whole afternoons with my siblings on that.[face_laugh]

EDIT: Yeah, the 'post' and 'show replies' button mix-up again.:rolleyes:

11. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I still have that game. :p I don't know if it still works or not though.

How dare they make you work when you have important posting to do?[face_frustrated]

12. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I still have some games for our first comp at home. It was an IBM PS 1 and didn't have a hard drive. It only worked when you put floppies in.[face_laugh]
    Once I tried to play them on a 486 CPU (might be a German name, faster, but before inet pentium.) and they were so fast, I was dead before I realized it started.[face_laugh]

I still have to get a program to make TIE Fighter work again. I even got its name written down somewhere. [face_head=sieve]

Argh!
    *whacks herself*
    Sometimes I'm so stupid. Now I agreed to write FanFic - The Musical with Anakins_Favorite. :oops:
    Oh, well, another fic started. I stared so many, I guess people would be surprised if I finally finished one.[face_whistling]

13. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    My head is like a sieve at times also. FanFic the Musical? :confused:

To bed I must go. Have a good day and see you tomorrow. [:D]

14. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Aw, good night, DG[:D]

And if the musical ever sees the light of day, I'll give you a link.

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    "They speak Dutch most of the time, but in order to be polite to me they switched to English from time to time, Bianca!"

*turns from morri to Lanna!*

"And yes, they do meet. For example in fun parks

http://www.catalysis.nl/~bouke/photos/duinrell2005

or to hail master Yoda

http://www.catalysis.nl/~bouke/photos/AdamFF2006!"

*sees that DU allready answered to Lanna´s & morri´s questions!*

"Dang, I am always late!"

*sighs and walks off to her Dutch evening course!*

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm not sure about the TV with the spot in the middle. I know it, but I don't know if it is from my own experience though. ;)

But I'm pretty sure that I know that game only by stories and pictures. My first game was Xonix - most people don't know that game - and I played it for hours, I became that good that the game give up a few times (aka crashed). ;)

Good night, Gangrenous! :)

17. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    oooo, I love Xonix![face_love]
    Spent days cutting off those little pieces. But on newer comps it's just too fast to watch.

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    What?! You know Xonix!?! You're joking, right? :eek:

[:D]

(Have to go, but read your reply later. :) )

19. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm not joking.[face_not_talking]
    And we had a few games. Digger, Xonix and um, something third, lemmings I think.
    But that black and bright green of Xonix was even more blinding than the pink, green, yellow of the lemmings.[face_hypnotized]

20. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Those TVs were when I was really young so you probably only heard about them, Skiara.

Never heard of any of those games, Lanna.

Hi Azure! [:D]

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Digger? :eek: That was the second game I got into and the last game before my mom throw me out of the house to get some fresh air. :p

We had a black and orange screen. It was ok or better I never complained about it, since I didn't know anything else. ;)

The most weird thing was to start the computer. We had to use to different disks and some weird letter combinations. Ok, maybe this was just weird because I didn't know enough English to understand that those combinations were just abbreviations. :p

That might be, Gangrenous. :)

Btw I'm working on the new party. :)

22. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Oooo, call it 'Xonix-Explanation-Thread for new users'[face_batting] !

We had 'many' colours on the screen. like 16?:p
    But Xonix had this glaing bright green that has no name, because it might just be teh evil itself.
    There were probably only those three games available in Germany at that time. *lol*
    The most sophisitcated game we had for a long time was DoD (Dungeons of Doom) where you had to lead a prty of three (you never got to see) through a labyrinth in three levels to find the holy grail.[face_laugh] It was completely black and white and grey, I loved it do death.

And weird abbrevations, don't ask me how I got to play TIE Fighter the first time. A friend of mine had to write us a note how to alter the auto.exe(I think) befora and after playing because the comp could either run TIE Fighter OR windows.[face_laugh]

I think I'll get a fit of nostaliga now.:p

Do you want copies, DG?
    I could probably scrounge some up, but don't ask me what kind of emulator you'd need to play those...

23. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I don't think I will, but you're mentioned in the first post. ;)

Btw this one should be closed soon. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.