main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

=== Newbie Welcome Party - Ten Year Anniversary Edition ===

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Morgaine, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    You felt an earthquake, D_G? Oh, wow...the only earthquakes that strike where I live are too small to be felt by many people, only about a 2 on the Ricter scale.

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    So you have high experience in Earthquakes. The real oposite of myself. Just had two and one I did even miss. But the other one... horrible feeling as a kid. ;)

3. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Whoo-Hoo, page two! [face_dancing]

:p

Ouch, that sounds rather painful. [face_worried] I hope you'll be able to use the foot normally again soon, before your whole body ends up in pain!

I've never actually experienced an earthquake. :( ... no, wait, make that :). :p I hope it stays this way, actually!!

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I went through an earthquake once while I was at school, but I didn't notice it. Some of the other kids just started talking loudly about what they had just felt, and I was completely confused at the time. :p

5. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I wouldn't say "high experience" since I've only felt a few. The New Madrid fault zone is very active but most are too small and too deep for us to feel. It's not like California, Japan and other areas that seem to have them daily. It does have the capability of huge ones though. Back in the 1800s, it produced a series of quakes over 8.0 which moved part of the Mississippi River west by at least a kilometer. Part of the original town of New Madrid is now under where the river currently is. The 5.2 that I mentioned in 2008 was the first one larger than a 4.something in roughly 40 years(back in the late 1960s which was BG(Before Gangrenous)). There is some debate among seismologists about the fault. Some say that it is "dieing" and will eventually stop altogether. Others say that it is building up to another large one and that it's not a matter of if it "busts a move" but when.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Only sensed very minor tremors from tremors that happened in a town about 30 minutes north. In our area, earthquakes aren't real frequent, though they do happen. However, our earthquakes are attributed to a layer of diabase boulders about a mile or so underground that are subjected to extreme pressure. When they crack, we get tremors.

7. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Happy Birthday although I was only aboard for 6 of those years :p

8. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Happy tenth anniversary! @};-

[:D]

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    (I'll reply for this thread. :) ) Thanks, Hazel!

Gangrenous, of course, a person from Japan or California would beat your experience, but for me you are still high experienced. :)

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I don't understand how "experience" in earthquakes seems to be a good thing in here. I would think that the opposite would be true. :confused:

11. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    It builds character, Gunny. :p

Seriously though, the one back in 2008 woke me up and scared the carp out of me until I figured out what was going on. It was scarier than the two times I was robbed at gun point while delivering pizzas.

12. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    ... I think I'd rather experience a light earthquake than a robbery like that. :eek:

Goodness, Gangrenous, I think it might be a good idea for you to move someplace else! :p

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Same here...

14. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    You were robbed at gunpoint...twice?? :eek:

15. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi all! :) Congratulations on the 10-year party!

Indeed if you have been robbed twice at gunpoint, you should seriously consider to move away from that life.

How is everybody doing? :)

16. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow a new thread!

And for such a special occasion.

Ten Year Anniversary Edition.

Meet my husband DarthUncle (= DU) here in summer 2005 and MsLanna/ Etain, Chilla, Cem_Fel, morri and soooo many other people.

Sniff, I get nostalgic now!

17. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    [:D] AzureAngel [:D]

Long time no see, how have you been?

18. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Hi Azure! [:D]

Yes I was. I must say, not too fun.

19. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Yeah, I bet... [face_worried]

Hi there Azure, long time no see! How're you doing these days? :)

I will not start listing all the people I've met here... I'd be typing half the night. :p

20. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    So far, I've met two people from here in real life, Chilla and JeedaiElf. Both happen to be my e-sisters and are the sweetest people that you could meet.

EDIT: I got a postcard from Manila today! :D

21. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    Lucky...I haven't met anyone in RL on these forums yet. I'm yet to meet anyone from my state.

22. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Well I've never joined this party, but I suppose it is about time I did. :D This is a good distraction from the miserable sunburn I got today.

23. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Lily, that's what sunblock is for. By the way, welcome to the Newbie Party. :D

Paddy, it sometimes takes a while to meet people from here. It took me about a year to meet anyone and that was my local Fan Force. Only one of them was from the Newbie Party/Pillowfight. Prior to me joining the Fan Force, JeedaiElf and I had talked for months and neither of us knew that we lived about 20 minutes from each other. It took another five years before I met someone else that use to hang out here in the Newbie Party. I just remembered that I met a third person from here. Back in 2006, I flew out to Idaho and met the girl that I was e-dating. If you do decide to meet people whether it be your local Fan Force or anywehere else from online, just be careful. In my former Fan Force, one girl kept getting weird messages from a new member and was basically being stalked at events. Fortunately when the RSA/Chapter Rep banned him from the boards and told him to stay away or else, he listened.

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Thanks! The sad thing is that I used sunblock, but I was cursed with super fair skin so sunblock seems to have no effect on me sometimes.

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay, ten years!!

DG - Yikes!! [:D]

Lily - [:D] I feel yur pain -- I've got fair skin too. Often when I go swimming I throw a dark t-shirt on too because sunscreen doesn't always do it. One of my friends got me SPF 100 as a joke (though it wasn't totally a joke, since I'm going to use it).

I felt a baby earthquake a few years ago and the aftershock. It wasn't scary, but luckily, it wasn't very big and didn't do any damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.