main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

=== Newbie Welcome Party - Ten Year Anniversary Edition ===

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Morgaine, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    I've already taken my NJASK, so I'm through with exams for now. Thank goodness.... [face_laugh]

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Until end of August? That's a nice long vacation! :D

Any plans for that? Gamek? Paddy? Anyone who has summer vacation as well? :)

3. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    I've only got three days of school left! All of them are half-days too, so YAY!

*Dances happily* [face_laugh] [face_dancing]

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Summer vacation is the best time of the year :D

5. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    Couldn't agree more... [face_dancing] :D

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

May 20, 2008
    Except when the time starts to fly by. Summer doesn't last long enough. :(

7. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    When I was in school, we ended the year during the first week of June and didn't go back until the day after Labor day(the 1st Monday in September). They changed that though, now you go back in August.

8. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Ugh, I know what you mean.

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, definitely. This one is flying by, and (barring me going to grad school, which looks very unlikely) it's my last one :(

10. Padawan4687

Jul 10, 2010
    Blah.....can we make summer any longer? The time does always fly!
    That really stinks...

EDIT: Your last summer? What do you mean, NYCGurl?

11. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I suspect a job. That usually serves to eat up summers.

I'm hoping my summer has more opportunities to go swimming than last summer. Last summer, I only went swimming once.

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Summer is a great time! :D

Just... the weather is like late winter/early spring here, so going swimming won't work. I guess that's the reason why you were just swimming once last summer, right?

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I went swimming because I just happened to have brought my swimsuit with me to a company picnic down by the bay. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to go swimming at all. Lacking a pool sucks, as does lacking any place nearby to swim.

14. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I finished school two weeks ago (forever!:D) and I was looking forward to my last summer break. But as it turns out, I'll be working all summer instead. The place where I've been working this semester needs me longer than what was initially planned. But I shouldn't be complaining, I'm very grateful that I have a job (although I'm secretly hoping that it will only be sunny on the weekends :p).

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Earning a paycheck is also a nice incentive to work through one's summer.

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Is it a fulltime job, Lexi? If it's just parttime, you might have enough time to enjoy the sun nevertheless - and that are the best jobs: Giving you enough money and enough time to enjoy your sparetime! :D

Do you have plans what you'll do after summer? :)

And Trak is right... Paychecks are always nice! :D

17. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    It's a full time job. I've been working fulltime since new year instead of school. That is to say, I haven't been paid, because I've been allowed to count in my work hours instead of my school hours. But now that school's out, I'll be receiving my first paycheck soon. Like you said, that will be very nice! :)

I will be hired in September, which essentially doesn't make any difference from now, except that I will have it on paper.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Full-time jobs rock!! And they definitely make it feel a lot less like summer, but the money's worth it.

This is my last summer break (job notwithstanding) because I'm graduating from university next year. So next summer I'll have to get a full-time job that pays well, offers health insurance, and is good enough that I can move out of my parents' place.

19. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    Well good luck with that, Nat! [:D]

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Sounds like a very great perspective, Lexi! Like you can be 100% sure to be taken over / fully employed. Cool! :D

NYC, do you have anything special in your mind already? Or maybe even a job opportunity? :)

21. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

May 20, 2008
    I'm not even going to bother trying to find a job this summer. I doubt there really are any in my area, among a host of other reasons.

22. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Sep 5, 2004
    Enjoy it as much as humanly possible and then more. :)

I haven't had a summer break since...2006. I went to school in the summer and worked up until graduation. Still working, but no insurance. [face_plain]

23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Fels, feel hugged!

*just comes back from posting in her [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/31414474/r31773401/]fanfiction story[/link] due to something Chilla asked and therefore discovered in her cleverness*

I know exactly how that is to have no real summer holidays.

When I left Germany to live in another country, I thought life as a teacher would be better there and offer more chances.

By now summer has turned into the saddest time of the year. I get tired from being a substitute. There are bills to be paid and I really do not belong anywhere. I simply can not go on holidays. For I need to be alert and on the hunt for the one big change!

So keep your fingers crossed that I find a job that pays well and were I can stay on, instead of being the pregnancy substitute or sick leave substitute.

Oh and Skiara, something to make you smiley, because I [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_art/b10020/25754494/p57]was able to paint again[/link].

[image=http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/AzureAngel2_2006/Art%20Studies/P6110009.jpg]

Perhaps it is finished when you are back from your trip into a galaxy far, far away!

(PS: My elder brother did not like it, which hurt me a lot. Told me that I can only copy stuff and never have my own ideas. Hurt me actually more than it should have!)

24. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    Nice pic. :)

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Azure: Oooo, that's really lovely!! One of my favorites of yours, actually!! That teaching thing (or, rather, the lack thereof) really sucks :(

Fels: [:D] I'm scared, that's for sure.

I think I might, but with the economy the way it is, I have no idea 8-} Nothing's certain; I'm just going to enjoy the time I have left to be a kid. (or, well, not a kid, but not a grown-up, either.)

Actually, speaking of fan art, our Fan Art forum is in the process of voting for a quarterly art champion. I know Azure and Trak both have pieces in competition. We'd all be really grateful if you guys could take a couple minutes to look through this [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_art/b10020/31749223/p1/?6]awesome art[/link] and vote for yur favorite!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.