main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Newport Star Wars event April 16th

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Sakara, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. massassiguard

massassiguard Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2006
    Hello Welshguy

Remember me, the Massassi Temple guard who you hate!!! Saw your very flattering discussion about me today.

I have a very good memory of the day, and can honestly say that I did not blank anyone. Perhaps you could jog my memory and tell me exactly when and where during the day this said offence took place and I could correct you on this.

At my last convention in Cardiff, I had long and friendly chats with all the Garrison members who were at the event and gave away my autograph for the Garrison charity and some members of the Garrison were actually willing to pay for my autograph, even though I did not take their money.

Are you part of the UK Garrison? Were you dressed as a character? Would love to know your ID number.

Thanks - please let me know soon, am waiting with baited breath.

2. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Steve, is that you??? Messing about again eh? ;)

Didn't think i'd actually fall for the old "i'm him" joke did you!

3. massassiguard

May 8, 2006
    Dear Welshguy

No, its Derek Lyons, please can you answer my previous question. Thanks.

4. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    No "Derek" (if that is your real name ;) ), i'm not a memeber of the Garrison, i'm just a regular memeber of the public.

It could have been that you didn't even realise that you did it. These things do happen you know.

You have to remember that all comments in here are made in a light hearted, not too serious, bit of banter sort of way.

Not much happened at the con, but this was one of the more interesting stories I had to tell, so don't sweat it. Besides I don't think that anyone really reads these threads, so I highly doubt future bookings would be hurt.

Seriously, Steve is this you?

Or maybe JediLoon? Look dude, I know you lost the Football title to me, but theres no need to go around impersonating people!

Ok, if you really are Derek Lyons, which character/actor do you share a birthday with?

5. massassiguard

May 8, 2006
    Dear Welshguy

Thanks for replying. I actually share a birthday with Mark Hamill (who happens to be a friend of mine, and we are in regular contact with each other).

At every event I have been myself, been kind and considerate for the real Star Wars fans and not there for the money. For me its about the fun of the event and meeting people. I'm a screenwriter and am doing research for a future movie at the moment and therefore am browsing the web, and have UNFORTUNATELY come across your comments about me - you must have misread the situation. I chatted with my wife and we honestly can't remember this happening. If I was rude to a fan, my wife would have definitely let me know, so I could have made amends. I do take offence to your remarks, perhaps you could think about this .

I'm not really concerned about any future bookings, as I've already been invited to the US gathering for the 30th anniversary and other events in Europe, and with my other work am too busy to do any other conventions this summer in this country.

Look to hearing from you.
    'May the force be with you'.

Kind regards,
    Derek

6. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Welcome to the boards Derek :cool:
    I am sorry you got upset over this, but I have known Welshguy for a while now, and even if he misinterpretated the situation, these are message boards where fans do voice their feelings, and that is how he saw it, unfortunately for you. I had a similar situation with someone else, and I know I am not a rude or bad person, so I was surprised too, like Welshguy was. I guess if he was wrong, I know he'd apologise for it, that is the sort of person he is. I hope that you can just forget about it after that.

However, I must add this. Welshguy, if you feel this is still not the person he claims to be, I am sure you can ask Phill to check IP addresses and see if it is the same as another poster on here, since impersonating a star is considered a banable offense I believe, even if in jest. I am sure Derek can appreciate this too ;)

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, fair enough. I'm willing to accept that whatever happened, or whatever I thought happened was just one of those things that has been mis-interpreted and blow out of all proportion and sounds pretty bad.

However, if it makes you feel any better, you were the only actor at the con that I actually talked to, so thanks for that. You had interesting stories and engaged really well and I would highly recommened you to a friend.

The conversation just seemed to end a bit abruptly when some other people came up to your table, thats all. Though it could be that I misread the situation and if I caused you offence, once again, I apologise. It was just ment as a bit of a joke.

So how did you find out about this place? I guess you did that thing where you typed your own name into Google or something? I've done that too, but I share my name with an American Christian Rock signer, so my discovery wasn't quite as intereting, so you haven't got it all that bad. ;)

Glad to hear that your still in contact with Mark Hamill, be sure to tell him Welshguy said he rocks! Can you tell us if Mark will have any involvement with the TV show?

Funnily enough, i'm also a writer myself. I've made a couple of movies and acted in them too, but they're not brilliant. Its kind of hard when you only have a cast of 2 though.

So sorry if I caused you offence. Who knows maybe i'll meet you again one day and i'll remind you of this conversation..... Just don't attack me with your medal Derek, cause I bite! ;)

8. massassiguard

May 8, 2006
    Dear Welshguy

I will send your regards to Mark. I'd just thought I would like to put the record straight, as I was amazed by your comments.

As for the comments on the forum about Kenny (R2D2), I have known Kenny for 30 years and have worked with him on quite a few other movies, he is one of the nicest people I know, just like Jeremy Bulloch - they love to meet the fans. Can't comment on the others, however!

Look forward to seeing you in the future, maybe - make yourself known to me and I'll let you have a free signed photo if you want.

Kind regards,
    Derek the Massassi!

9. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Derek, since I was there I can probably speak better for what happened ;)
    I can put it down to his tiredness maybe (it was a two day event, and at the end of the second day), and a lot of other things, but I have met Mark Hamill and many other Star Wars actors and never ever had a problem. I was just surprised, but yes, as you mentioned I wasn't actually getting an autograph at the time so maybe that contributed. And people do have bad days, we are all human. His wife btw was a very pleasant lady, but he just wasn't in the mood to chat.

10. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Tell you what, let me have a free medal and we'll call it quits. ;)

Promise not to sell it on Ebay.....

I'm still slightly dubious though, i'll be honest with you. [face_thinking]

It just seems a little too convenient. But I could be wrong.

A person who posts on here asked me if the Garrison she was with could use my pictures as the they didn't take any at the con. It just seems a little odd that the time frames match up to when people from the Garrison would be on here and you mentioned the Garrison quite heavily in your first post?? :confused:

More to this mystery than is revealed I think.

Theres no real way of me being sure though, as anything you told me, you would have told the people from the Garrison too.

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    *Waves to UKG lurkers* :D

Edit: Oh! If any of you UKG people are Welsh btw, feel free to make yourselves known in the appropriate "Introduce Yourself" thread, would be nice to see some more Welsh people in here, I am sure Welshguy is getting annoyed with all the English hanging around :p

12. massassiguard

May 8, 2006
    Dear Welshguy and Timbolton

Please rest assured that I am who I say I am and not part of the Garrison. If you want me to send you a signed photo, please let me know and we can arrange this - I'll send you a rare and unseen picture from the lot at Shepperton Studios. Check out Wattographs website and the recollections there, I've just done an interview for Gary X there.

Unfortunately, Welshguy I cannot give you my medal as it is extremely expensive!

Kind regards,
    Derek

13. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That's very kind of you Derek :)
    But it's ok ;) Now you are here, please feel free to wander to the Regional area and say "hi" there too, there are plenty of SW fans around these parts. Oh, the Massassi temple is one of my favourite locations in ANH btw (love Aztec and Mayan stuff) :)

14. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Hmmmmm....

An extract from the interview:

Over the last 30 years; have you had any contact with anyone of the Star Wars cast & crew? If so: with who? If not: How was it to meet a whole bunch at Empire Day?

I've kept in contact with Kenny Baker, on and off over the years, (we've worked on Mona Lisa and Flash Gordon) and his son is a friend of mine. I bumped into Anthony Daniels at Planet Hollywood in London and we had a nice chat about old times. I had seen Anthony quite a few times over the years when he was appearing in the West End theatre. I last spoke to Mark and Carrie at the crew showing of Empire Strikes Back and they kindly signed the programme for me. I also bumped into Alex McCrindle (General Dodonna) on Waterloo Bridge and we had a quick chat, this was in the late 1980s.

Doesn't exactly sound like the "real" Derek is still in close contact with Mark and is a good friend of his. I suppose that would be difficult if you hadn't talked to him for 26 years!!

How do you explain this one then?

15. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005

frankly im offended that youd think the Garrison would have anything to do with this. We got enough going on to bother impersonating a Star Wars actor!
    And as to events on the day...well i didnt actually get to see a single actor as i was far too busy working the photostand..frankly we all were!

16. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, this is starting to get out of hand now.

Its plainly obvious that this poster is not the real Derek Lyons and i'm sure that once Jairen checkes out the IP addy, we will get to the bottom of this.

The only reason I mentioned the Garrison is because of "Derek's" continued referrence to them in his first post? He seemed to have a good knowledge of the Garrison and its memebers ("Are you part of the UK Garrison? Were you dressed as a character? Would love to know your ID number", I didn't even know Garrison members had ID numbers?) , that is what first aroused my suspicions.

Lets draw a line under this and move on. Its obvious that this "Derek" is trying to create trouble and make people look stupid for some reason, so lets not go down that route.

Sakara, no offence was intended to you or the Garrison, its just that it seemed the most likely explanation at the time.

I hope Jairen gets on soon, I want to find out whats going on!

17. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    great thread!! =D=

18. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    It is pretty entertaining isn't it! lol

Acusations and counter acusations. Lies and double bluffs!

Brilliant stuff.

Lets see what our very own "M" (aka Jairen) will have to say about the IP address.

19. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    thats ok...whoever it is..hopefully itl be sorted out soon!

20. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Whoever....

Or whatever!!

DUN DUN DUHHHHHHHH!!!!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Welshguy/EvilMonkey.jpg]

21. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I am sure Wiz played one of those vultures in Ice Age 2 :p
    He's always there when the trouble starts lol, then again, I think I am there just before :p

Ok, like the boss said here, and as Sakara kindly said, let's leave it till the big boss can get back. Again, apologies to anyone who felt insulted.

But we could all take potshots at the Midlander in here and whoever hits gets to walk away with a Massassi medal ;)

22. massassiguard

May 8, 2006
    Dear Timbolton

Thanks for your nice reply and comments. Just checking in - I won't post anymore on this website and this subject, as it is getting out of hand and very childish.

Seems that Welshguy still does not believe that I am who I say I am. If you want your moderator to do checks, please do so.

Kind regards,
    Derek

23. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well how can you possibly explain the discrepancies between what you said and what was said in the interview with the real Derek???

He said he hasn't seen or spoken to Mark for nearly 30 years, whereas you said you are in regular contact with him and are good friends??

That don't make sense????

24. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Edit: For now....

25. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Looks like someone here is suffering from multiple personality disorder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.