main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA News and reviews on Toys and Collectibles!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Okay here is the thread for news and reviews on Toys and Collectibles.

Since this is a post on 6/17/02 I will only be posting "news on things either to have just come out or new things to come. Older stuff maybe discussed of course, it's just not considered "news".

Alright for my first bit of news. The Nexu Deluxe figure was availible at the Wal*Mart in Cranberry. Going for $9.99. This is a cool toy (I got it back in May) and has two "buttons" for sounds. The first is the one mentioned on the bubble of the package (Plastic) which is on the side of the figure. This has only one type of growl. While the second one is actually the tongue. This one has two different sounds giving the figure a total of three sounds. Not bad for a small toy. It needs better articulation. It only turns at the shoulder joints of each leg. Unfortunately this really only leaves it to one or two good poses but I give this toy a rating of 4 (5 being the best) Be careful not to sniff the plastic as it seems toxic. Really it just has a strong rubber odor.

Okay next is the HTF (hard to find) Chancellor Palpatine. Great sculpt. Standard articulation (not great but hey do we really need Palpy to "do the hustle" (okay I know I'm showing my age with that one) Rating 4

Also D'jas Puhr (the Black bulbous headed alien bounty hunter from the cantina (he's there for all of about two seconds) is a great sculpt. He'll probably end up a pegwarmer but right now is very HTF so get him while you can. Rating 3

Obi-wan Kenobi (jedi Starfighter pilot) has a CLOTH cape. great accessory. also has the small satellite dish that was seen in the movie that also convienently fits into the hole on the toy. Hasbro decided to make this fig with the cloth cape so it WOULD fit into the fighter. Yippee Hasbro did something right! Rating 5

Han/Chewbacca these two are really only for the completists out there. These figures have been done before but if you didn't get them the first or second or third time around then get one. Rating 3

The MASSIF is everywhere now and I think that although he has no articulation with exception to his jaw, he makes a great addition to you collection. The bonus geonosian trainer included helps to build up your army of these little BUGGERS. (sorry couldn't help myself) also think about getting more than one as they are seen in the Tusken raider seen fighting over a bone. You can take off the harness for them and let them go free.
    Good sculpt. Rating 4

Orn Free Taa: Wanted this guy from EPI, but hey we finally got him. limited movement (see Chancellor Palpy) Looks alot like JAY LENO in the face (HA HA) but I still like him. Don't agree with the extra set of head tails in the back of his head but SW isn't known for it's continuity. Rating 3

Endor Rebel Soldier. well I like the sculpt just not enthralled with it. Nice accessories: removable hemet, cool gun, backpack. Definite improvement over the POTF2 (Power of The Force) figure who was bulky. Also this figure will have a definite variation. Half way through production Hasbro will switch heads and give us an E.R.S. with blond hair and no facial hair. (This is also rumored for the ne Imperial Officer) Rating 3

Qui-gon Jinn (jedi master)
    same character hardly a different sculpt. don't waste you time unless your a completist or GREENCAT. Rating 1 (LOWEST)

Target has a few exclusive you all should know about. They will be selling four different "accessory packs" that are awesome and all come with a figure besides a plethora of accessories, all retail for $9.99:

Battle droid (Arena conflict): 4 Guns, 2 lightsabers, three sets of handcuffs, and a few more suprises. The battle droid is of the redish variety, so you'll be able to build a great arena scene with this set.

Biker scout (Endor Victory): Two guns, both different backpack from both old/new endor rebel soldiers, Ewok helmet xylophone (sp?) awesome! 4 detonators. AT-ST helmet, ERS helmet.

Hoth Soldier (Hoth Survival):backpack, gun, two oxygen masks, some kind of a little ba

2. AdronPa

AdronPa Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    Picked up a few of the 12" "Barbie"-type Amidala's at a Kay Bee store in the South Hills Village. The boxed version lists for $20. They were selling them for $2.99. (Or, $3.99. I'm not sure)

3. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ah, yes speaking of 12in.toys. I got the Red clonetrooper at KB's (it and the yellow clone are exclusives there) I definitly like the paint job on this one better than the "white" clone. no discoloration of the helmet and lower legs.

Also look out for 12in:
    Super Battle Droid (very cool)
    Darth Tyranus/Count Dooku
    Zam Wessell

very cool additions to the 12in line.

Just so you know, I'll be giving a large review on new toys, 2 to 3 times a week until the fervor dies down then I will gradually go to a weekly report. (Unless something comes hot off the press and it can't wait).

4. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Here are some links to wal*mart's site. Here you can see certain toys, when they'll become availible, as well as what they look like and the price.

R2D2 interactive droid:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=92533&dept=4171&product_id=1819726&path=0%3A4171%3A92533%3A92527

Republic gunship

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=92533&dept=4171&product_id=1819725&path=0%3A4171%3A92533%3A92527

A NOTE about the gunship. The gunners stations are NOT included with this one. However, they are they accessory to the yellow clone due soon. So never fear you'll be able to complete that ship. Besides this is a great idea of Hasbro's. They keep the cost down for the bigger toy and of course who wouldn't buy at least 2 of the yellow clones to complete the picture?

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The R2 will be mine, oh yes it will be mine. Mawh hahaha!

6. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ah, yes. The R2 is a great inovation for toys. He stands 15in. has approx 30 "phrases" and a extendable "arm" that can hold a 12 ounce can.

Sweet indeed. And at just under $100 really a decent deal.

Oh yeah just don't say "Darth Vader" to him......

You'll see why!

7. Mrs_jedi_1966

Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Toys 'R Us also has R2 for $99.99. And yes, I think the baby needs one!!!! (and that way Mommy & Daddy can teach the baby to play with his/her toys correctly!!) {tee-hee-hee}

8. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Okay any of you interested in looking up toys on the net from retailers go to the following links:

www.toysrus.com or http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/171280/ref%3Drd%5Ftru%5Fhp/104-6944800-7852748
    for toy r us.

www.walmart.com

http://www.bluelight.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=784869
    (this is k marts site)

http://www.target.com/common/catalog/category.jhtml;jsessionid=E4RYG1GMQLPYCICTCT24JCBAKMKPVZRN?catnav=8643&navAction=push&navCount=0
    Target's toy page

http://www.kbtoys.com/kbindex.html?
    KB's

hope these sites help with your quest!

as always
    MTFBWY!

9. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Okay Kiddies, here is this week's

NEWS and REVIEWS

Hot news for 12in collectors. Count Dooku, Zam Wessell and the Super Battle Droid are due to ship in July. This was supposed to be end of June but there was a delay.

All three get a 5 rating as the Likenesses ans sculpts are great and as usual playability is high.

Also the fan club exclusives Ki-Adi-Mundi and Plo Koon are due any day now so watch for them. You can call 1-800-true-fan or go to :
    http://swfan.wizards.com/category.asp?CategoryID=165
    for them and any other items they have in stock or are taking pre-orders for. If your not a member become one quick so you can get the latest greatest in SW toys and collectibles.

Okay now that the plug is done for the fan club on to my next item.
    Due soon in 3 3/4 scale are the follwing figs:

Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine Attack) 9/02
    Darth Maul (Sith Training) 8/02
    Destroyer Droid 11/02
    Ephant Mon (Jabba's Head of Security) 10/02
    Jango Fett (Slave I Pilot) 10/02
    Lott Dodd (Neimoidian Senator) 9/02
    Padmé Amidala (Coruscant Attack) 9/02
    R2-D2 25th Anniversary 9/02
    Teemto Pagalies (Pod Racer) 8/02
    Tusken Raider (with Massiff) 9/02
    Watto (Mos Espa Junk Dealer) 9/02

Okay now for a limited review for each of those listed:

Anakin Skywalker (Tatooine Attack):
    Best Anikin sculpt yet, but still no jedi outer robe. Rating 3.5

Darth Maul (Sith Training):
    Cool Digs, nice red trim, okay fig to get definite for DM and SITH fans. Rating 4.0

Destroyer Droid: no news here, don't know what it's going to have over the EPI DD but we'll wiat and see. Rating n/a

Ephant Mon:
    Long awaited Fan Choice figure. Great sculpt. large but a little clunky (but hey Ephant Mon is anyway so who cares.) Great sculpt. Rating 4.5 only the articulation needs help otherwise this would be a 5.

Jango Fett (Slave I Pilot):
    Yet another Jango. Oh well, so now he has the forehead band. not much different than the others. Maybe we'll get Jango Fett Dishwasher to complete the series (ha ha) j/k no mail please. ha Rating 3.

Lott Dodd (Neimoidian Senator):
    Should have had this guy a year and a half ago. well better late than never. Look forward to the old codger of a neimodian.
    Rating n/a (haven't seen final so can't give honest opinion yet)

Padmé Amidala (Coruscant Attack):
    Alright Padme in hot pants. Okay j/k. But seriously nice fresh look for the naboo pilots. she is a smaller version of Captain Typho. Great sculpt. I look forward to playing with her for hours.....Did I say that out loud......Rating 4.5

R2-D2 25th Anniversary:
    Like the Toy Fare Vader this one will be metallic NO rating yet (haven't seen)

Teemto Pagalies (Pod Racer):
    I wish they would have made at least all of the podracers who had screen time but hey I'm happy with Teemto. He was one of my favorites and who can resist flipping him end over end and making that whirring noise while doing it. Great sculpt and good articulation give this a rating of 5.

Tusken Raider (with Massiff):
    Wow another Tusken. I'm actually glad they are doing another sculpt of him. Now if only the Massiff is better than the geonosian one who is a one pose wonder. Tentative rating of 4. haven't seen yet but hey it's another tusken and maybe his head will be detachable like Jango final battle. One can only hope.

Watto (Mos Espa Junk Dealer):
    This figure was actually how Watto was to look in EPI but they went a different direction. Now he's here and ready to swindle....I mean ready to play. Again great sculpt. Rating 4.5

well kiddies time for me to go on the hunt. Until next time....
    MTFBWY always!

10. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Just a post to ramble on about new toys I picked up here in CT . . .

Fisher price SW toys -- Hoth Rescue: Luke and Han in Hoth gear, a Taun Taun and a Wampa, all done in "little people" style. They are so CUTE! Also Endor Forest in the "little people" style: an Ewok, Luke, a storm trooper and speeder bikes. No Leia, though -- what a jip.

BDP had picked up an EP I Qui-Gon figure clock for me, something I had never seen before. So of course, what did I find in the CT Kaybee toys? A whole stack of EPI figure clocks. I got a neat Queen Amidala clock. I was going back and forth on getting another Qui clock (one for home, one for work) but I didn't get one . . . though I think if they are still there when I go back on a hat run friday, I'll get it.

Also want to say, nice job on the toy reviews Sal!

11. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Thank you Greencat. It was my intention to do the best job I can and truly help other fans/collectors out there.

I'm glad you mentioned the Fisher Price toys. Though I have not picked any of these up you are absolutely correct in saying their cute. They're just darn right adorable but *ahem* cough* ahem* I stick to the "adult collecting" LOL j/k.

The "Wampa Stompa" set is probably the most popular right now. That's the hoth one. There are also sets for EPI which include a Naboo fighter, mini Darth Maul, Anakin and other things; as well as a X-wing set that includes, of course an x-wing, mini Darth Vader,Luke x-wing pilot and other accessories.

I myself have elected not to collect these but not because there is anything wrong with them. I just know myself that if "once I start down the dark path"......I never stop collect those either and I spend WAY too much on the Hasbro toys already.

While I'm here I might as well let everyone know that last night (6/27/02) I found and purchased the UNLEASHED Darth Maul and Jango/Boba Fett figurines. Very cool looking. The also come with a special Trading card game CARD that is specific to the figure. Powerful stats for those cards. DM is B6, S60, P4, H4 and Jango is B5, S60, P4, H4 (I think), (I'm trying to remember that off the top of my head) For those of you who don't know what those numbers mean I'll explain it in another thread dealing with the Trading Card Game (TCG).

The Unleashed line are done similarly to McFarlane Toys figs, for those who don't know. Great Sculpts, accessories and displays as well as good packaging.

I just recently reported on 12in Count Dooku, Super Battle Droid and Zam Wessell as coming out in July, well, now it appears they are being put on hold until September... Hasbro's decision don't kill the messenger.

For those that may still need Orn Free Taa (the twi' lek senator) I spotted him at Wal*Mart in Robinson last night. They had a few. As well as many Endor Rebel soldiers.

12. AdronPa

AdronPa Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    Has anyboyd picked up any of the advanced Lego sets?

I picked up the Artoo last night. Very boss. Nice and complicated, with some nice special features. His front wheel springs out in tandem with his side legs angling back a little. There's also a lever in the back that lifts up an appendage that I think reprsents his data port.

Can't wait to find and build Threepio. Anybody seen him anywhere?

ALSO, has anybody seen any Yodas?

13. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    If you mean the action figure. well yes. I have seen him the most at the Toys R Us at Robinson (TRU). I think I have 1 extra if you don't have any.

14. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    If you do have an extra Yoda action figure, Sal, and no one else has got to you yet, could I buy it off of you? Just bring it to the July meeting.

I finally found the new Qui-Gon action figure. Yeah, its almost identical to the old Qui, but I think the face is a better likeness . . . And is it possible to have too many Qui's around? :D

15. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    No problem GreenCat, I think I have an extra and will bring it if I do. Qui-te the contrary I think it is possible to have to many Qui's around. Oh, I better say that Qui-etly or greencat may here me. Qui-ckly I must end this conversation or she may Qui-z me about him the next time we meet. (JMS puts his Qui-ll away) okay so we don't use centuries old writing implements anymore but I had to end this somehow :)

16. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Let me give an update on some of the figs I've already reviewed.

I have recently purchased the following:
    Orn Free Taa
    Djas Puhr
    Supreme Chancellor Palpatine
    Han Endor
    Rebel Soldier Endor
    Obi-Wan Starfighter pilot

Praises to all these figs.
    Orn Free Taa is a static pose but dead on and looks great in my dioramas. Oh yeah and he looks like Jay Leno. No kidding!
    Djas Puhr (lucky enough to get two of him so far, one of which I'm willing to trade[see the "Trade Federation" thread])
    great sculpt and nice use of gray/grey colors.
    Palpy is nice (what's up with the liver spots though? lol)
    Han Endor-haven't taken out of the package but looks good with the exception of the right shoulder articulation (reminiscent of the Padme Arena)
    Rebel Endor Soldier Definite improvement over the old "buffed" up one. This sculpt will change mid-way through production and will have a different head instead. That one is to be blond and clean shaven.

And last but not least Obi-wan SFP.
    Awesome. soft robe instead of rigid plastic (never understood why they moved in that direction) fits okay in the fighter and has the neat satellite dish accessory.

This is a FIRST-HAND REPORT

I've seen Chewie at TRU but another collector got to him before me and there was only one. Stil he looks better and the C-3PO make it ALL worth while. His limb actually have molded wires coming out of them (C-3PO not Chewie) and looks better than any other 3PO (take-apart) that I have ever seen.

17. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Qui-te amusing Sal. :p :D

Today at the Monroeville Mall Waldenbooks I picked up the silver boxed Episode I:TPM, Artwork by Doug Chiang for $7.99 However, all the boxes are in fairly rough shape and I got the last one that has the label on it. There were about 10 boxes there, if anyone is interested in the art inside rather than a mint condition box.

18. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I've already let Greencat know but I'll let everyone else know as well.....

I found 2 yoda's and 4 count dooku's wednesday and will be bringing them to the meeting. Some are already spoken for but if you need either of these figs and as of yet have NOT spoken to me let me know.

I will go on the honor system (close to the Anoat system but there's not much there, ha ha) anyhoo, if you already have these please don't ask. I want to make sure that "first-timers" get a crack at these figs. If you have something to trade that is an option i'll entertain. Otherwise i only expect the cost of the figs+tax.

I do ask that if you find Hard To Find figures to let all of us know, so that we can all have the opportunity to collect them. I do not expect special consideration because of my finds, I share them freely, but would none-the-less be grateful if you do think of me in your collecting quest.

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Does the Yoda figure have a lightsaber? if so I will buy it from you.

20. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    In all of my infinite "motherly" wisdom ~ I cannot imagine the idea of ever having too many "QUI" items!!!

**Mrs_66 sez this while looking affectionately upon her life size cardboard display of Qui-Gon & sighs**

21. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I have an extra Palpatine if somebody needs one.

22. Mrs_jedi_1966

Jun 14, 2002
    Sal, I found a couple of Chewie's at our Wal*Mart - if you want/or still need him call us at home ASAP ~ cause I'm sure they will go fast. Talk to ya soon!?

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    BDP if you still want the Jedi Starfighter Obi figure the WalMart by my house has it.

24. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I have th chewie now but thanks. (I have three extras for those that need him and 1 extra Obi-wan star fighter pilot.

The Wal Mart in Cranberry got a huge shipment in. I almost stumbled over my own feet when I saw the quantity and selection of the figs. I came across at least 5 Chancellor Palpy's and 8 Djas Puhr's. I only looked three figures deep, and they had them six figs deep. They had Nexu and Deluxe Anakin's abounding.

It looks like someone at WalMart ordered right for a change because over the weekend I visited three more and they all have some of the newest wavs and in decent numbers. (With the exception of Han/ Endor, and Chewie/Bespin.

Also, for those that are variation hunters, the Han has a variant. Look at the canister on his hip. Most are being packaged with the white one, however there is a variant of a gray one. Not a big deal but for those who like variations I didn't want to leave you out. BTW, I decided to get this variant and will bring it to the next meeting so everyone can clearly see the difference.

25. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Is it just me or is everyone else getting this thread appearing as way to wide for their screen? It makes it a bit annoying to have to scroll sideways in order to read it. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.