main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY Next Jedi Academy / saber session

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by JediKnightLisa, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
  2. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Like Dan said, I've just been having fun messing around with the logo, it gives me more experience in photoshop. And I too was Watching Hell's Kitchen last night, lol.

I honestly don't care if we end up usng it in the near future or not, I just like messing around with my computer :p

3. jedijason8080

jedijason8080 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    Can I suggest something? In regards to how we practice?

4. JediKnightWannaBe

JediKnightWannaBe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Sure. It would bring the thread back on topic anyway. :) Just watch out for that Chris guy. ;)

5. jedijason8080

Nov 8, 2002
    Why dont we practice more like we are in a dojo. Where we practice one move over and over then add a new move then a third move and then spare off useing the moves. We should do this first thing so it reminds us of the moves and if you skip a week you can catch up.

6. Darth_Snappahead

Darth_Snappahead Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2005
    I, actually think that`s a good idea. (without any sarcasm, eveno_O )

7. jedijason8080

Nov 8, 2002
    Thanks. i think this we we can work on our foot work as well.

8. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002

[face_shame_on_you]

Good idea Jason.

9. JediKnightWannaBe

Jun 8, 2005
    Sorry Chris just had to get the dig in. It's in my nature. :D

I think Jasons idea sounds good.

10. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Would someone like to tell Dan about my temper? [face_devil]

11. jedijason8080

Nov 8, 2002
    let him find out for himself. :_|

12. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    [face_devil] [face_devil]

You'll just have to find out at saber practice!

13. JediKnightWannaBe

Jun 8, 2005
    Are there any telltale signs that he's really losing it? I mean after all it's only gentlemanly to give a guy a fighting chance. :)

14. jedijason8080

Nov 8, 2002
    Chris is like the big brother you never wanted.

15. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    I think I make it obvious when I'm losing it. The duelling is more civilized than just pounding people to a pulp. :D

16. JediKnightWannaBe

Jun 8, 2005
    So you kind of become like Luke when he gets angry and starts pounding on Vader just before he cuts Vaders hand off huh?

17. jedijason8080

Nov 8, 2002
    i knew it was bad and still put it up sorry. J/J i should realy stop before he comes at me next.

18. JediKnightWannaBe

Jun 8, 2005
    *Dan feels the smoldering gaze of barely controlled rage slowly shift focus Jasons way* :D

19. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002

That's a little out of line and goes past the friendly ribbing we dole out daily.

20. jedijason8080

Nov 8, 2002
  21. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
  22. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    9am? I don't get the power of speech back before 11! LOL!!

23. Ken_Of_The_Whills

Ken_Of_The_Whills Jedi Master star 1

Mar 15, 2003
    Actually, the basic movements are so simple, it wont take any time at all to learn short routines after some basic individual movements are mastered.

In other words, the current plan is very much "like a dojo" as you put it. We will teach specific basic movements we can build from, and already have an 8-movement "kata" that can be practices with either one or two people.

All people need to worry about if getting the basic idea. Lisa and I will weave in the details and principles as we go. There are 8 basic strikes and blocks for beginners, and we will help people find a comfortable range of motion to execute them consistently.

But I don't want to spend pages explaining methodology ... if you trust us and follow along as best as you can, you will see what we are doing and why. And in the end we can use what we learn in individually unique ways, "breaking the rules" and straying from exact techniques. But you have to have those rules and techniques in the first place, and that's what we're here for -- to build a vocabulary of body motions that become a language of fighting. Choreography will be cake.

24. JediKnightLisa

JediKnightLisa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2002
    WOW.... that is all I can say. This has gotten a life of its own.

The logo & t-shirt is just a cool idea and does advertise the North Ridge. No feathers ruffled, but if only a few of us actually become a part of the academy and we decide we want shirts or whatever, then so what? I guess I dont understand. Anyone can join, if they want to. We are not excluding anyone who wants to learn to duel. Also, by having a logo and more of an "ownership" per se of the academy, it may start to make this a little more serious then a few people showing up here and there and us not really learning a darn thing.

SO, can anyone make it to my house around noon on Sunday before the meeting or stick around right after the meeting for a session? Please post if you can make it. Ken and I will be going over the new basic 8 moves and the new basic routine. Then we can just beat each other senseless :) This is the groundwork for moving through the different stages. Once we all have down the one stage, we can add onto those and progress. This way in the near future, we can just get up and start dueling. We will know what comes next kinda thing. So, yes, Ken and I are working on stuff, not just the logo. I want this to not only be fun, but educational and productive. We need to get routines down for appearances, yes, I agree! But we do need to get together more often, even if not an "offical" session. Practice makes perfect and it is a whole lot of fun! :)

Looks like I took too long to post.... forgot to hit post until after dinner.. :oops: Ken posted before me. :) So, yeah, he said it all. :)

25. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Bad News: I personally can't make anything on Sunday because of work.

Good News:
    [image=http://www.j6studios.com/things/RPF/nrja_01.gif]
    :D

I started a thread about the logo quandry I was having on the RPF, and someone came up with this beautiful design! He colored our logo with a few different ideas, so I think if there is a cetain color we want (like the blue that we have it as right now), he could probably change it. What does everyone think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.