main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Next space franchise after Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by THRAWN007, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    RWR was OK, but it is very action-free and cerebral, so a good crossover successful movie will be curious.

I didnt like the sequels at all. Reading RWR 2 was a chore that put me off reading for months, and that is always an unspeakable crime. Theres only so many ways to make the "Oh lookee we found another alien artifact," interesting.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I see RWR working as a movie by building up the suspense, then eventually getting exposed to some aliens (even if they are only cleaner robots). The major climax would be the rocket sent to destroy Rama, which the space-crew intercept and disable, then final 'escape' and take off from Rama to ensure a return to earth.

You should continue with the Rama books. I totally agree that the second book is slow, and spends way way too much time developing pointless aspects of the crew's personalities, but the effort getting through the second book pays off in the third and fourth books.

Best four novels I think I've ever read.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I didn't like the 2-4 novels of RWR anywhere near as much as I liked the first.

4. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    The first book was a science-fiction masterpiece, while the subsequent books were contaminated with Lee's character development.

However, disagreements over the later books, they could make for a good movie franchise.

5. jedi_withouta_clue77

jedi_withouta_clue77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2005
    The world is going through a stage of cinicality, so fantasy or sci-fi will be tough to catch on. However I think the industry should wait a while until the industry suffers as it did in the 70's where you had cinical films such as Easy Rider and other satirical films.

We are going through the same thing, films that arent very inspiring like SawIII. But if we give it a little time then, when the world most needs it most, we just might return to that "Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Far Awat...

6. X-Wing-Ace

X-Wing-Ace Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2006
    Space has been done to death. I mean, they've worn out all the ideas. And if you do do a space story it only ends up unintentionally copying someone else's work in some way.

But then again, I've had an idea. What about Flatulence Wars! "A long time ago in a gallaxy fart, fart away..." You could even have the villain called "Darth Farter", and his weapon could be a whoopee cushion! A right stinker that Darth Farter. The hero could be called Luke Windwalker and he could be learning the ways of the Gale Force. [face_thinking]

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    How about The Saga of Seven Suns?

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The "no sound in space" thing worked alright in Firefly, although even there they decided to cheat a little when it came time to do the movie (yeah, I know it was technically in atmo, the point is that he recognized a big silent space battle would be boring.

I think I was disinclined to enjoy Ender's Game from the get-go, for the reason that you mentioned that Card is a self-important so-and-so. I read the introduction to Ender and it could be summarized as follows: "People write to tell me that Ender's Game changed their life, and I've heard that it's being taught in many schools, and that doesn't surprise me because it's brilliant and so am I."

Guess what, Card. I figured out your big twist about 80 pages into the book and was waiting for your genius Mary Sue to figure it out the whole rest of the time -- which, I might add, he never did.

I can't deny that Ender's Game would have some cool scenes, but overall I don't think it's a very strong story. If it's done, it needs to be shot like an 80s sci-fi movie. The slick stuff they do today would just be all wrong.

M. Scott

9. hero_of_canton

hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2007
    please ignore the following post as i am 100% biased

we dont deserve a great new sci-fi tv show, we were given Firefly and no one showed up(i think u guys were all on forums talking about the next big sci-fi event to come)

we dont deserve a great new sci-fi movie, we were given a second chance with Serenity and no one showed up(can't imagine why)

now we are doomed to sci-fi shows that cant decide if they want to be cutting edge commentarys on the nature of humanity(BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA), or just very very bad soap operas in space(BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA)all the while sporting amazing visual effect styles that were 100% ripped from the best sci-fi show that no one watched(see above)

then again .... David Tennant may save us all

10. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    HA! Yeap thats Card alright. I rather enjoyed Enders Game, which I read before I knew the man. But I was inclined to figure out the man after reading Ender's two sequels, sequels which have obviously nothing to do with anything and were only the pretext to a continual rehash assembly line of Ender sequel after Ender sequel. ENOUGH ALREADY. If Card wants to admit hes a one-hit wonder then he should just do so.

Now I have read a short-story or two by him that showed good talent, but those are few and far between.

LADIES AND GENTS, I have a better idea. And the wheels have already begun to spin on this. Who has read HONOR HARRINGTON?

11. TieBomber109

TieBomber109 Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2007
    I don't think Star Wars will die for many, many years to come. However, as no movies are going to made, it will eventually die. Star Trek and Stargate are coming to an end. I just hope that the next big sci-fi series lasts as long as these series.

12. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I've read the honor Harrington novels, and I think they'd do well (crosses fingers). They would need some tweaking to get it to work visually (vs. the hyper-realistic way the battles were described, real distances in space and all), but it'd be worth a shot.

But IMHO, Firefly and BSG are the best sci-fi on the screen/TV since Return of the Jedi. Probably since Empire. (Not a Trek fan, B-5 was ok.)

Outside of those two shows, I haven't read much that I'd consider the next big franchise. Starship Troopers (the book) rocked, but the movie had almost nothing to do with the book. :mad:

Battletech/Mechwarrior would be good, as long as it's nothing like Robot Jox. [face_sick]

I guess we all need to hope that someone out there has a good imagination, and a good budget, and keeps the suits at the network out of it. A Peter Jackson type, or George in his early days type of director. Until then, we're doomed to have butkis in terms of good sci-fi on TV or the big screen.

13. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    It may not technically be Sci-Fi/Space, but a good chunk of the series takes place on another world/dimension than our Earth, so I would tenitively nominate Brian Lumley's "Necroscope" series for a film franchise. (I assuredly nominate it, for the fact that we'd get to see some GENUINELY monsterous vampires on film, because of it!)

But out of the suggestions given, I would probably lose a good bit of my bowel control in excitement over a "Lensmen" franchise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.