main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NFL Draft 2010

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    With just 3 weeks to go until the draft, lots of interesting trades have happened (Number 1 being McNabb from the Eagles to the Redskins) and I am sure that more will happen as we get closer to the draft days. Here is the latest mock draft from ProFootballWeekly.com :

1. St. Louis Rams
    QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma*

With the Redskins landing one of the league?s top quarterbacks for a relatively low price, the Redskins have removed themselves from the QB derby and took away any hopes the Rams may have had of landing a windfall at the top of this year?s draft. If it was not safe to say before, simply because of the prospect of a trade, it now can be said with authority ? with the first overall selection in this year?s draft, the Rams will select Sam Bradford.

2. Detroit Lions
    OLT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

If you have a franchise quarterback, as the Lions clearly believe they do and Matt Stafford showed promising signs of becoming in his first year, you must be able to protect him. Okung is not the most talented tackle in the draft, but he may well be the safest of the lot and would fill a pressing need, with Jeff Backus(notes) having long struggled to handle the hot corner.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma*

The Buccaneers have not been the same defensively since Warren Sapp(notes) departed. McCoy could bring the same type of relentless pass rush as Sapp once created, and become a pillar of the Buccaneers? franchise for many years to come. The premium on defensive linemen comes in rushing the passer, not defending the run.

4. Washington Redskins
    OLT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa*

With Donovan McNabb in tow, protection now must become a priority. While GM Bruce Allen still may have some tricks up his sleeve that could further affect the Redskins? Draft Day decision, Bulaga is a very safe pick around whom to build the offensive line if the Redskins do not address the position prior to the draft.

5. Kansas City Chiefs
    NT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska

How could Suh last until the fifth pick? No way, nohow ? in the words of Lee Corso, not so fast, my friend. Glenn Dorsey(notes) slid to the very same slot three years ago for the exact same reason. Many NFL GMs do not value defending the run as much as they do rushing or protecting the passer, and despite Suh?s 12 sacks, his greatest strength is stacking the line, not penetrating it. Matt Cassel(notes) is the 15th-highest-paid quarterback in the league, and he could easily prove to be better under the direction of Charlie Weis, but right or wrong, GM Scott Pioli?s career in Kansas City will likely be defined by his decision to hitch his wagon to Cassel. And in order for Cassel to perform up to his ability, he needs much better protection than he had a year ago. Expect the Chiefs to seriously entertain offers to deal down, with the Seahawks potentially not out of the quarterback market, and the Chiefs standing to be a beneficiary of the work their new offensive coordinator, Charlie Weis, did with Jimmy Clausen at Notre Dame. Remember, the Chiefs are sitting in the same five-spot that another Belichick prodigy, Eric Mangini, held a year ago before trading out. If Pioli has to stay put, however, the premium placed on defensive linemen can be expected to prevail again. Despite finishing the season playing close to 290 pounds and being more ideally suited for a ?40? front, as Dorsey is, Suh would be too talented to pass up.

6. Seattle Seahawks
    OLT Trent Williams, Oklahoma

Williams could be considered closely by the Redskins and Chiefs ? he?s talented enough to warrant strong looks from the Lions ? but having inherited cultures of losing programs in need of serious reshaping, Bruce Allen and Scott Pioli could have a difficult time guaranteeing nearly $30 million on a prospect known for his lazy ways at a blue-collar position. However, the Seahawks have a desperate need to fill, Alex Gibbs? zone-blocking scheme could not be better suited for Williams? talents, and a coach coming from the college ranks such as Pete Carroll might undervalue the importance of self-motivation a

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Rams showed their hand when they released Bulger. Once the 'Skins got McNabb they didn't need to worry about another team possibly getting him so were free to make their intentions known.

This close to the Draft the was already one blockbuster move this week (McNabb to DC) that shook up the entire landscape of the draft. There maybe one or two more like this to come, I'm willing to bet.

3. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Should be a fun draft lots of good players, although I hate the thurs-fri-sat thing. I wish they would have left it alone.

Although, I have issues with a lot of projections not only with the pro football weekly one.

Suh and McCoy are going 2 and 3 in some order. I'd be taking Suh at one, but of course I don't run the Rams. Trade for Campbell, draft Suh, and see which QB is there at 33. Haden dropping to 17, I don't see it. If he starts to drop too far, you'll see teams jump up to get him (looks at Pit, maybe Balt, Phil needs a CB, etc.) Tebow to Phil, makes zero sense since they should want to instill confidence in Kolb. Way to pat a guy on the back, "Kolb the job is yours, but we're picking the most well known and popular College QB out there b/c we are confident no one will ask us about him after the draft and we don't have enough of a QB circus having to deal with McNabb leaving to a division rival, Vick as number 2, Kolb only having a few starts, and now Tebows popularity."

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    With all of the talk about how Tebow won't pan out, I am surprised to see him taken in the above First Round projection. He'll be a real wild-card due to his set of skills, and could go either way.

This round certainly looks like a haven for OL.

5. Dark_Lightning

Dark_Lightning Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    I see Dallas going with OL.

6. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    I highly doubt Tebow goes in the first round or is taken by the Eagles. Also, the Lions will take Suh, no question about that in my mind.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Suh looks like the real deal right now, and should be a Top-5 (if not Top-3) pick in the Draft.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    There is no way Tebow should go in the first round. And he got invited to New York for the draft [face_laugh]

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Tebow got invited because he's the talk of the draft. How awkward and sad would it be if he showed up and didn't get drafted until late in the 2nd round?

And I expect Denver is either going to trade up to get Rolando McClain ahead of Jacksonville, or trade down and go after one of the top guards/centers.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Sad? Not at all! :p

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I hope that the Steelers address the problems with the O-line this time 'round. Wide receiver might be important, too, with Holmes gone. Interesting to see how that'll play out.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I suggest they start by figuring out how to keep Roethlisberger out of trouble :p

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Simple enough, lock him in the Steeler's complex all of the time except for game-day. :p

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Might need to lock other people out, too, but you probably thought that went without saying ;)

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    True enough.

No wiminz allowed. :p

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Team members and coaches (etc) only.

Seriously, I think that's more important to the Steelers future than whoever they draft in a few weeks.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't know if I'd agree...depends on what type of suspension would be handed down, if any.

I would feel confident with Charlie Batch for a handful of games, Dennis Dixon for one or two. I don't know about the whole year, though. If Ben ends up in a real legal mess, this year probably wouldn't be the best to deal with it in the draft, though. It's not a particularly deep class at the quarterback position.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm thinking less of a suspension from this particular incident and more about not having him get in more of these incidents.

Also, keep him away from motorcycles. :p

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, he hasn't had any motorcycle problems for a few years, which is perfectly fine with me. :p

He needs to get his head straight on his shoulders. I hope it's not too late, though. [face_worried]

20. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I think it's hilarious when the media tries to predict which first-rounder the will Colts take.
    It's always a surprise.
    Bill Polian has always thrown curveballs in this aspect.

21. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    The Seahawks who are already my favorite NFL team could add 2 former Clemson stars. How the stars have aligned.

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Oh, wow, I completely forgot about that. :oops:

So, the first round in primetime...good or bad?

Personally, I think that it's probably a good idea. I usually stop paying attention after the 2nd or 3rd round, so this will free up more time to do other things.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    First round in primetime: ok, cool. Whatever.

Stretched out over three days: seriously? As if it wasn't long enough already [face_tired]

The NFL draft really bores me. I like watching the NBA draft, but not so much the NFL. I'll probably watch a good bit of the first round, though. Or have it on in the background, at least. Though I'm changing the channel or turning the TV off if I hear Tebow's name called. I'd do it just based on the announcers saying his name, but then I might as well not bother to turn it on in the first place :p

25. APOLLO608

APOLLO608 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2010
    Browns are my team. Hope they find some stability at QB, though they have a lot of holes to fill. I would love to have Bradford but it would cost too much to move up to #1.

//APOLLO608\\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.