main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Nightmare on Elm Street (remake)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by WormieSaber, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I saw this today and it was majorily disappointing. I wonder why Hollywood even bothers when the original is far more superior.

SPOILERS:

My biggest gripe is the Nancy character. They turned her into a sketcher, a quiet girl who sketches images of Freddy. Though I found the dream sequences to be more intense, and maybe even scarier, the Freddy character could barely even move his mouth and I didn't find him scarier or crazier than the first Freddy. And do these kids even live on Elm Street? Well they forgot to mention it, despite the title of the film. And Nancy's father? Where did he go to? Well he's not even mentioned. Well this movie was just bad. In fact, I enjoyed the Friday the 13th remake far better than this. I really hope they don't make a sequel because Freddy vs. Jason is looking like an academy award winning movie at this point of the remake.

2. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    Yeah, I'm pretty much refusing to see this in theaters. I will admit that there are some great remakes, usually of films that I never liked in the first place like "Halloween", but this doesn't seem to be any better. I'd like to hear the consensus view of it, but either way I'm probably waiting until DVD.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This wasn't as strong as the Friday or Halloween remakes, no- though I felt the last half of the film was pretty good (the dreaming was more intense and integrated and was less about the formulaic "oh no, they're really dreaming again!" bait and switch that was getting tiresome) when they started to let Freddy play more and at least some of his character could start surfacing (the first half he's left vague so he doesn't get much in the way of quips or dialogue and such).

I did hate the end scare though- without context it just makes the viewer confused and the film less satisfying.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Producer: Michael Bay
    This guy deficated on The Transformers childhood icons of the 80s. Did you really expect better of his treatment of the teenagers horror icon?

And remakes... The only times I can think of from the top of my head that a remake has ever been better than the original are: D.O.A., Little Shop of Horrors, Reffer Madness.

There may be another, but I rather doubt it.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just because they don't surpass the originals doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, though (I quite enjoyed the Friday the 13th remake and the Texas Chainsaw remake wasn't bad, either).

In this case, the results are mixed at best, though.

6. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't mentioned in the original either.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At least one of the characters lives on Elm Street- they show the street sign quite obviously when one of them is going home.

8. TazzMission2183

TazzMission2183 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2010
    as horrible this film was jackie earl halie made a good freddy. so at least we can give the director some good possitive feedback for that alone

9. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    There may be another, but I rather doubt it.

The Fly?

10. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Oh absolutely the Fly! I'd have to say that's one of the best horror remakes I've ever seen.

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Ah yes, the Fly. And Fly2. Both remakes better than the originals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.