main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V No Bigger Luke Here- Massive Star Wars Video Game - Star Wars Outlaws!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Oct 18, 2017.

1. dg1995

dg1995 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 4, 2019
    That Darth Maul game wasn't even into development when they decided to make it a Legacy era game.(Red Fly gone as far as making prototypes for them and some concepts unlike 1313.) when games are still not clear how they are going to be played it's common to change stuff for it.

But it's funny how people just remember George Lucas for his bad decisions than the good ones. I even mentioned some of them.(And his decision for that 1313 was just a way to slow down that game development for Disney in order to convince Disney to buy it.)

That wookie game got canceled due to this that George still had nightmares for that holiday special.

But jokes aside, I'm not sure if that game would turn out great as a story driven game since the majority of the cutscenes of the game would involve the main character to growl to other characters.
    That game would have been turn out good only if the design team made the game more gameplay focus than story focus.(less cutscenes and story, more gameplay)

Instead of that wookie game, greenlighting that Tie Fighter squadron on gamecube from Factor 5 would've been a far better choice imo.(But instead they decided to publish that Rogue Squadron 3 and force Factor 5 to add on foot sections.)

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I actually enjoyed those on-foot sections. Were they executed very well- probably not, but they added a little more depth to the Rogue Squadron mythos. Plus it was probably used as a springboard for developing the OG Battlefront.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    DarthJaceus and dg1995 like this.
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    You are actually right about that. Changing things is pretty common early in development. But that doesn't mean that those changes don't have some kind of cost in time and resources. Bioshock: Infinite was in development for years before the actual bulk of the actual game work was done, but that doesn't mean that no work had to be done in that time.

I mean, considering the game never came out, I'm not comfortable speculating on how good or bad it would have been since, you know, it never made it past the concept stages. What matters is that Lucas not talking with management meant that we didn't get that game. If he had coordinated with them more, we could have gotten the Evil Rogue Squadron game instead, which the bounty hunting game beat out.

I'm not trying to say that Lucas never made good decisions when it came to games. What I am saying is that his involvement almost certainly lead to issues on several projects due to either a lack of understanding in regards to game development or a general disconnect from that arm of the company.

dg1995 likes this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    top tier soundtrack too.

dg1995 likes this.
  5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  6. dg1995

Jan 4, 2019
    As long as The Old Republic exists we will never get Kotor 3.

7. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I think a KOTOR remake is more likely than a III, but I don't have much hope for SW Gaming while the license is under EA. This bad decision from Disney really surprised me. I can critique them all I want, but at the end as a company, Disney's about making money. So to not realize the massive market for SW games just seems like a huge oversight on their part, especially considering EA's failure to make any kind of quality game in the past decade.

And if anything, SWTOR saved a lot of what Bioware had in mind for KOTOR3. I read somewhere Knights of the Eternal Empire/Throne was intended to be its own standalone game, but they never had approval to do it, so they just threw it into SWTOR.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You will never get a III. It's no longer canon. TOR still exists because of a contract, that's all.

9. dg1995

Jan 4, 2019
    This whole "it's not canon anymore" excuse is pretty weak.
    By that logic everything that is in EA Star Wars games are canon. so in other words lootboxes are canon.(Also Obi Wan Vs Grievous fight on geonosis is canon.)

If that was the case Disney wouldn't have allowed EA to make any Battlefront games since it would break the lore.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    When TOR was coming out, they said it was meant to be KOTOR 3.. and KOTOR 4, 5, 6, 7, etc.

As for the gap in-between, we already know what happens now.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    KOTOR's spiritual successor will happen on screen, and it's going to happen sooner rather than later. They've been dropping hints like crazy. Probably TV, maybe a film. If we're lucky they'll make a video game spinoff.
    Star Wars gaming is a joke compared to before EA took the reigns. A terrible strategic decision by Disney. They should have taken the responsibility of publishing games themselves and opened up a dedicated studio. They have the resources. But this is beating the dead horse.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Barriss_Coffee, dg1995 and PimpBacca like this.
  12. dg1995

Jan 4, 2019
    As long as Disney have the Star Wars ip, I'm not sure we will ever get another good Star Wars game.

Disney is completely against the video game business. They even terminated their own game studio that was making that promising Pirates Of The Carribean game.(Armanda Of The Damned)

PimpBacca likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    They just don't understand video games. They had success licensing their IPs out in the PS1 era, but when they tried stepping into the ring themselves, they bombed hard. I get why they'd be resistant to making things themselves after all the money they out into Infinity that ended up going to waste completely.

DarthJaceus, blackmyron and dg1995 like this.
  14. dg1995

Jan 4, 2019
    BTW is EA actually happy about this Star Wars deal themselves ?

From what it looks like they have lost so much money for this ip:

1.Visceral's game got canceled, they got closed and Amy Hennig left them.(Also one of the main influential person for Dead Space games left EA)

2.The pivoted version of Ragtag also got canceled and Jade Raymond left EA.(And we know canceled games that were in development = losing a lot of money)

3.The EA Battlefront 2 faced disaster, EA forced to reduce the game's price after 1 month(Normally this happens to commercial failure games), Forced to spent a lot of budget on changing some stuff in that game and also add more content.(Which the content is given as free to the players.)

4.And from what I've heard somewhere that for every copy of the game on PS4 and Xbox 1 half of them goes to Sony and Microsoft's pockets.(On the bright side for EA, they have Origin so no money for Valve) .
    Since Disney owns the ip it makes me feel that Disney also profits from every copy of the game.(Can't say ho much) but this makes profiting from Star Wars games harder for EA.

5.I have also heard that EA at first gave Disney a lot of fortune to get the Star Wars license.

With only EA Battlefront 1 and that mobile game making profit(And maybe TOR which it's a pretty tricky topic since at first it made them lose so much money.), makes me feel that EA is actually losing more money with Star Wars license than gaining.

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    @dg1995 You should really check out the Jason Shreier article that was linked earlier in the thread. It goes into a lot of the issues that EA has been having with the license.

dg1995 likes this.
  16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    That's reaching, IMO. There's no real reason why Disney would randomly recanonize KOTOR when they can just make money doing their own telling of it, or completely taking it out and doing their own take on the Old Republic period.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    EA has an earnings call on February 5th it will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Crazy as it sounds, I can actually see them using the KOTOR name to make another game. Maybe not KOTOR 3 exactly, but KOTOR: Some of the Something or whatever. KOTOR's still a big enough name that it can carry its own weight and I doubt Disney would give a whit about whether it jives with their own continuity or not, because it basically does and is so far in the past it won't be a problem for the period they're focusing on. Does that mean they have to take KOTOR 1 and 2 at face value and say they're canon? Probably ambiguous canon like some of the early TCW stuff, which again doesn't really prevent them from say, changing the origin of the Sith or whatever because it's spoken of like a legend anyway in KOTORs 1 and 2. The Sith on Korriban were already drinking koolaide so I wouldn't wouldn't trust them anyway. Or that Rodian shooting the breeze about Kun over Yavin.

While I don't expect another KOTOR because I don't expect another descent RPG coming from Disney soon anyway, I can see them putting it on the table. (and watching EA wack it off like a cat, along with everything else)

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Exactly. In the same vein of what they did with Battlefront, another Star Wars game 'brand' they carried over, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that KOTOR as a 'name brand' is as or more highly regarded as Battlefront in gaming circles. The acclaim EA would get simply for announcing "Coming in 2021: a new Knights of the Old Republic!" would pretty much guarantee all their old missteps would be forgotten. Even if the plot is completely different, I could imagine them releasing an Old Republic-set game with the KOTOR title as a 'spiritual sequel' or something like that.

Besides, how many Legends titles have been reused for post-2014 products by now? It's inevitable, by this rate. And let's not forget that even the KOTOR name itself was 'borrowed' from the completely unrelated TOTJ first volume.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, KotOR's reputation is probably still intact, although TOR has dragged it down somewhat (and Bioware isn't what it used to be, even aside from the EA buyout). At this point I almost wonder how well a KotOR HD remake would sell.

It'd be nice if there were even some simple games that explored more of Star Wars. The AAA Battlefront games haven't turned out too well, and I doubt any mobile game of theirs would ever turn out to be more than a money sink. It'd be nice if they let some other developers try their hand at Star Wars. EA went with the most likely success, a Star Wars shooter game (and apparently they were so clueless, they had to ask DICE if they were interested in making a new Battlefront game) but haven't produced anything else since. And the sequel trilogy is just about over, so there goes that window of opportunity. Oh well, maybe after the sequels are over Disney will be a bit more lax with the license... well, probably not, but who knows.

Heck, there's already plenty of rumors about the game industry transitioning to the next generation of console games and that's going to slow down game development for another few years while everyone gets used to the new game engines.

Ava G. likes this.
  21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I played battlefront II in December. During the first starfighter portion I had to change controls to invert flight controls.
    That is the best illustration that EA doesnt get star wars games I can think of

WMIRTUTSF and Daneira like this.
  22. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I find EAs Battlefield games always have horrible default flight controls too. The games are not made by people who understand flight. There is always the dumbing down also, trying to make playing the game as simple as possible for people that also don't know how a plane is controlled. This usually results in a default control being...
    Push stick up = climb
    Pull stick down = decend
    Push stick left = turn left
    Push stick right= turn right
    ....which is just horrible for someone who wants to feel like they are the pilot, rather than just pointing an ai pilot in the direction they want to be flown in.

Daneira likes this.
  23. As EA is canceling many games I would not be surprised if they canceled SWTOR soon
    At least until EA's license is removed it will be the end of The Old Republic

24. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    TOR has been in a slow death for awhile.

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Are its player numbers down? Even if they are, I assume the hardcore players are still there, and those are probably the ones more likely to shell out money to play.

Either way, as long as TOR is around, I don't think we're going to see any new Old Republic game, be it a canon thing or a KOTOR remake. Legends or Canon, they're not going to want to dilute the market.