main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate No Donuts For You: The U.S. Police Brutality Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Outsourced, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Not so much competent as clearly their first instinct is to pull their guns.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I've spent the day praying for the officer's report to come out describing how they removed the gun-shaped taser from their gun holster, switched the safety on their taser, cocked their taser and then pulled the gun-shaped trigger on their taser.

darthcaedus1138, Rew, harpua and 10 others like this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Watching the video I think she was confused instead of trying to deliberately kill him.

But still, throw the book at her. Hope she goes away for the max

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, screwing up on this isn't a 'pass' when it comes to legality. But that seems like a screw up.

Also (and I feel like I'm not going to skew the results here because of the ignore list i'm on), but what's the over-under on someone like quigonmike pointing out that one of the officers is black, so there's no way race can play a compounding factor in this?

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I saw the video of that policeman attacking that fellow in the van, and I was upset by it. I can see why he drove to that gas station. He wanted plenty of light.

Personally, banning guns to the level of Australia seems as difficult as getting tax increases for corporations. What a concept.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think a good first step would be to get more minorities trained and carrying weapons. No one is faster to enforce gun control than a government trying to oppress minorities, and they sure are harder to oppress when they can fight back.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Rew and Outsourced like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The FBI and local police forces such as the Chicago and LAPD systematically dismantled the Black Panthers and assassinated, imprisoned, or exiled many of the group's leading figures. Them being armed didn't stop or particularly dissuade the authorities. If anything it painted an even bigger target.

Broadly, the argument that more members of a minority group being armed somehow results in fewer of them being killed by police is not borne out by the evidence. Most people killed by police in the United States are, in fact, armed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Saw the video. I believe she made a mistake. But a mistake that cost a life, so she deserves to be charged with manslaughter and go to jail.
    Still, I wonder how much of a mitigating factor it will be the fact that the guy had (as far as I know) a warrant out for his arrest, and he then fought the cops and tried to get away.
    That is obviously not an excuse for killing him, but its really weird and frustrating to see how so many people now refuse to obey and even challenge the police, knowing how these days the police seem to like to shoot first and ask questions later. Now more than ever you cannot escalate a situation, and if you do it you should know something really bad is going to happen, because of how bad the police are behaving.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    A police officer shot a guy because the officer asked for the ID so the guy reached for the ID he was asked to provide. I don't think "obey" is sufficient to survive, and I'm not surprised that people panic and try to get away from police at this point as I don't think there's any trust in that institution. Police escalate situations unnecessarily enough.

And none of that should be mitigating when even she thought the situation warranted a taser, not a gun. Though I fear it will be.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Obviously compliance is the safest option, though not a sure thing, but I find it hard to blame a 20-year-old for making a dumb decision in the heat of the moment out of legitimate fear of imprisonment or worse. We shouldn't have to act around police as though they're feral animals, always ready to lash out.

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    This is some grade A+ victim blaming right here. No one should be kept in line through fear of state sanctioned violence against them. Especially when, time and time again, we see that it doesn't even matter what you do when confronted by the police or how much of a 'threat' they think you are. Handcuffed, unconscious, dead, doesn't matter. They will do whatever they feel like to you just because they can.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The court issued his summons to the wrong address so that's why he had a warrant out on him. Definitely a good reason to arrest him...

/s

15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    If he didn't want to have a warrant out for him, he should've been living where the government thought he lived.

16. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    I had the police out to my house about 2 years ago. The PO gave me a piece of paper with all kinds of outreach info with Mobile Crisis numbers and other MH outreach resources. Things had calmed down by then, so that's as far as it went.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Trevor Noah summed up everything in last night’s show.

Juliet316 and Nobody145 like this.
  18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I loved how he summed it up- how everything else (a cellphone, a wallet, etc.) looks like a gun to the police except for an actual gun.

Either the cop had her excuse ready which is why she was saying taser already or she just really screwed up. Neither is really believable, like don't guns have a safety on? Yet the safety was off, she was holding the obvious gun for at least five esconds, and only after the bang did she realize, whoops? Not to mention the rest of them standing around gawking until the dying victim crashed into someone else several blocks away. Great job police on preventing damage.

I'm not caught up on all the details, but even for restraining someone, a taser seems a bit extreme, not like Wright was armed or attacking them, and instead the police caused another car crash after supposedly accidentally shooting someone. Well, even with the Chauvin trial you can hear all the police witnesses still pushing the "few bad apple" idea, to cover just how bad most of them are.

19. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    She wouldn't have made that mistake with a white driver. It was a rookie mistake confusing the taser for the gun, too rookie to be believable considering she was training a new recruit. Was a traffic stop such a dangerous situation that she didn't have time to grab the right weapon? I understand why Wright thought it was, given what else happened in Minneapolis and the racial bias of the police in general.
    The most generous thing to say would be that she is guilty of extreme negligence. Cops should be held to higher standards given their oaths to uphold the law.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    The issue is that tasers are viewed as suitable for very liberal usage of tasers any time they don't think they have full control:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-can-stunned-when-can-tasers-used/1019060002/

"Tasers join other tools like mace and batons – they're designed to "tilt the advantage” back toward an officer in a confrontation, Pasco said."
    "In general, "less than lethal" weapons are used when an officer feels like he or she could be overwhelmed Pasco said. "

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In re: saying "taser" -- my very limited understanding is that it's like a crash cart clear; you call it so no one else is touching the person you're going to tase, otherwise you jolt them too.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    A jury did convict Robert Bates of second degree manslaughter for shooting and killing Eric Harris in Tulsa in 2015 when he fired his gun instead of his taser. Similarly, Johannes Mehserle was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for shooting and killing Oscar Grant in Oakland in 2009 when he fired his gun instead of his taser.

The biggest barrier is that they bother to charge anyone for it, though, not that they get convicted.

For example, Matt Zimmerman shot (but didn't kill) Brian Riling when Riling was in a holding cell because Zimmerman fired his gun instead of his taser. In that case, the DA declined to charge him. Though it's a case that highlights part of how procedures to prevent this were ignored, as tasers and guns are supposed to be worn on opposite sides, but Zimmerman was wearing both on the same side.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The officer who shot and killed that women during the riot will face no charges. I still don’t know what to think about this one. If those rioters weren’t stopped they would have reached the Vice President.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    What's there to think about? This seems clear cut.