main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate No Donuts For You: The U.S. Police Brutality Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Outsourced, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I know.but something will always negg at me.

Do I think any action should have been taken against him no? I don’t know. I don’t fault him for it.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't see why action should be taken against him. He's not escalating a situation where it's a mob breaking through a barricade inside what is supposed to be a secured building.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Usually the police excuse of "I feared for my life" seems pretty weak, but honestly, January 6 was one of the few times that seems justified, with relatively few cops against hundreds of violent rioters literally beating down the doors.

Though the Capitol Police leaders (who already jumped ship) sound worse and worse. The NYT cites an Inspector General report (and he's testifying tomorrow) and apparently officers were instructed not to use stun grenades on the mob. One of the few times stun grenades seem like an appropriate response (against a rampaging looting mob looking to kill VIP) and now they hold back. Which just makes their incompetence (and white supremacy) even more obvious.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  5. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    You're goddamn right I'll give him some of the blame. Very little, but some yes. In my book, there's a HUGE difference between animal cops doing some random intervention and brutalizing an innocent person because they dont like how the talk or walk or the color of his/her skin, and a guy who suddenly starts to fight and struggle with the police who are arresting you because there's a WARRANT out for your arrest.

But go ahead and dismiss the part where I said nothing justifies the mistake made and the cop should go to jail. Your convenient argumentation to make me look like I'm defending the police and I'm fine with what happened is duly noted and expected in today's internet.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I agree, there's a world's difference between Capitol police defending themselves and members of Congress/the Vice President against the Capitol Invaders and police involved in situations that lead to the deaths of for example Eric Garner, George Floyd, and in a local case here, Donovan Lynch.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Even if he is struggling, that doesn’t justify shooting him, nor does there being a warrant for his arrest. I don’t buy that she made a mistake. Her hysterics sound like cover to me.
    Given the way police treat black people, it makes total sense why he was trying to leave. Doesnt sound like he had a weapon of any kind.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I am doubtful that this was intentional to that extent. For one, officers do get convicted for using the wrong weapon, and in Minnesota, have lost qualified immunity over this sort of thing. Saying they thought he had a gun (even though he didn't) would likely be much more defensible, so it seems much more like a mistake.

It'd be interesting to find out if it's something similar to what happened last year when an officer shot (but didn't kill) someone in a holding cell. The policy was that guns and tasers were worn on opposite sides of the body, but he had them both worn on the same side, making it much easier to grab the wrong one.

9. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    How can you make such an assumption? You have no idea what this woman is like personally and yet your calling her a racist who just felt like killing a black man? It was obviously a terrible tragic mistake after seeing the video. She should face the same consequences as anybody else who did the same thing and nothing more no matter what the radical race baiting left demands.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    There’s just some stuff that doesn’t add up. A 20+ year veteran of the force should know the difference between a taser and a gun. The average police firearm weighs way more than a taser. At the very bare minimum they were right to charge her with second degree manslaughter. She doesn’t deserve to get her pension. But she probably will. She deserves the 10 years that come with that charge. If anyone here thinks she doesn’t deserve that charge I am gonna have a real problem. From what I can tell it was a mistake. She still deserves to go to jail though.

Dark Ferus and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    3-4x in fact.

8-10 oz vs. 32 oz. supposedly.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Can we all agree she deserves that charge at least

13. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    People screw up, especially with actions that they often do. Obviously, doing that in a way that kills someone like this should be charged, but that it was a mistake that happens at some low rate is hardly surprising (seems like it's maybe once or twice a year in the nation).

It's deadly negligence, yes, but people seem dead-set to view this as something conspiratorial.

I would contend that if officers didn't have tasers that they overuse, this wouldn't happen.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It’s manslaughter and she should plead guilty to it. Whether she should receive the maximum sentence is up to the prosecution and judge at that point. This should not even go to trial- she’s guilty and the video shows her admitting to shooting him.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    At least she gets fined 20,000 dollars. At most she gets 10 years if I understand it correctly

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Footage of the murder of Adam Toledo by Chicago PD was released today. The 13-year-old was unarmed and compliant. Mayor Lightfoot is calling for "calm," I guess so the police can get away with brutalizing and murdering more people.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Right. And if I were prosecution, I’d start with 7-8 years as an offer. No matter what- she lived. He died. Whatever years of her life she spends in prison are due solely to her actions. That video is an admission of guilt if ever there was one. The best thing she can do for herself and the community is plead guilty and serve her time. Whatever she gets is too good in my opinion, but at the end of the day, she will one day leave jail and resume her life. He won’t.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You appear to be proceeding from the assumption that all racism is conscious.

19. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Agreed. This kid was a huge problem and was clearly a criminal. He resisted arrest and tried to take off. For best results, dont try to run off when you're being arrested. Bad things might happen and results will vary. Especially when you're already wanted for other stuff.

This case isnt as clear-cut as some of the others. IMO.

Probably something, yes. But not sure. Remember, this wasnt a family guy pulled over for a broken tailight. This dude was trouble and tried to take off. Nothing good ever comes from that kind of stuff.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So he deserved to be murdered?

It’s interesting in a pathetic way how you think that Black people who do not have squeaky clean records deserve to be executed on the spot without trial, but claim “wait for the facts” when any of us point out racism or any time a cop is involved.

Walking back to one’s car because one does not want to be arrested is not a capital offense. Period. There is no justification for treating that as a capital offense in a non-totalitarian non-fascist society.

And if you are a cop and are “afraid” of someone walking away from you, you have no business being a cop.

The death penalty is barbaric even when enacted after a trial. No other first world developed country still has it.

Justifying the death penalty without a trial, for the “crime” of smoking a joint once and the “crime” of getting back in one’s car, makes US conservativism even more barbaric.

tom, Rew, darthcaedus1138 and 6 others like this.
  21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Is this a capital crime? Moreover, is this an extrajudicial crime? Is this so heinous an offense that it warrants summary execution, without the benefit of a trial?

tom, Rew, Mar17swgirl and 10 others like this.
  22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    He got arbitrarily pulled over for a minor infraction. Textbook “driving while black” situation. It was only after they had pulled him over for (either an air freshener in his rear veiw window or expired tabs depending on who you believe, neither are worth pulling someone over for.) they discovered the warrant and escalated things.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    First of all, doesn't matter if he's a criminal or not, what matters was if he was an immediate threat to the lives of others or not so as to justify shooting.

Second of all, you know how we can tell this is clear cut? Even the officer that shot him thought the correct course of action was a taser. And as no one else fired, literally no officers there thought that a gun was the correct level of force to be using.

The ability to inseminate a woman doesn't make someone more deserving of not being killed.

It's very simple, second degree manslaughter:

She caused the death of another through the culpable negligence of firing a gun when she thought it was a taser.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Besides, he actually was a family guy. His girlfriend, with whom he had a two-year-old son (in whose life he was involved) was with him. He was on the phone with his mother when he got pulled.

He still would not deserve to be murdered even if none of that were true, but calling him “not a family guy” is blatantly false.

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Given what happened in the same city and to black people in many other cities at the hands of police, I don’t blame him for wanting to take off. For all he knew, the cops were ready to kill him right off the bat.

And as a police officer sworn to uphold the law and given a position of power others don’t have, she should be given a much harsher charge and penalty than received so far.

And about race baiting @robert martins I absolutely believe that race was relevant to Potter’s aggressive move, previous charges or not.