main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate No Donuts For You: The U.S. Police Brutality Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Outsourced, Sep 5, 2020.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They are Anderson. Can read minds and execute people based on knowing their evil intentions.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] That's terrible.

I know, what you've got is a load of telepath War Marshal Kazans running around.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    This is absolutely excusing extreme police behavior when one basically says "what are they supposed to do? Not shoot the person who's not currently an active threat to someone?" The answer to that is always.... don't shoot the person that's not a clear and imminent threat to someone.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It's almost as if... *gasp* ...there are more options than just "shoot them dead" and "let them go".

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Body cam footage from the North Carolina shooting will not be released for now.

Gives the cops plenty of time to alter the footage sadly.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They’re trying to claim that Brown was trying to run over them.

I can’t think of a non-suspicious reason why they would not release the body cam footage.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If they won't release the footage, then the public should consider those officers guilty as sin.

They shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt...certainly not as much or more than the person they executed.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Best we can hope for at this point is somebody from that department leaks the footage before the police have time to alter it.

On a better note, Attorney General Merrick Garland has opened an investigation into the department.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So the family of that women who was killed trying to break into the section that had Mike pence are now suing that police officer for police brutality. Can’t wait for them to lose in court

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We’re talking about a crowd who flat-out said that police are not supposed to treat the “patriots” the way they treat Black, Brown and poor people. No surprise.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Hey now, that only mentions he lost *1* hand, totally acceptable. Saying it was both would be trying to make perfectly normal police work seem excessive.

I feel like I said something similar about this one before, but the guy that challenged the cops to stop what they were doing deserves a medal or something. It was gutsy of him to say something on his own to already violent cops.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Additional video from a fatal police shooting in March of Malcolm Johnson is raising the question of who fired. And in particular, increasing speculation that one officer shot another officer, and the suspect was fatally shot in response to the initial gunshots, rather than in response to the suspect firing.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/video-...shooting-of-malcolm-johnson-in-march/36623380
    https://www.kshb.com/news/local-new...very-volatile-situation-former-fbi-agent-says
    https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/m...witness-videos-from-malcolm-johnson-shooting/

One particularly noteworthy thing, though, is that while this is leading to some doubt over who fired, the news was fairly willing to say that Johnson had shot an officer before he was killed.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Looking at the links without even opening them, I can tell that this from my hometown. Oof. Not surprising, but oof.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anyone listening to the new NPR podcast On Our Watch? It’s about police in California investigating (or not investigating) themselves.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No, but now you gave me a new podcast to listen to, thank you!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I was just watching the video this morning.

Not really sure how noteworthy when it's standard procedure to believe cops until their lies have been exposed. Gotta be the first with the news.

I'm sure it's all a misunderstanding and the cops will be found justified (by themselves) for killing another black man.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    By noteworthy, I don't mean that it's unique, but rather that it's important to remember because in 2020, for example, there were at least 670 people killed by police where they are alleged to have had a gun, at least 180 alleged to have had a knife or other sharp object, and at least 59 with other objects. For a great many of those, those claims are backed only by what the police who killed them said that those people had.

It's so common that we just have to rely on police claims without any evidence to back it up, let alone to back up what they say happened. It was the officers' claims that Bobby Bennett had 'acted aggressively' towards them because they didn't realize that they were being filmed, for example (showing that they shot a man standing at a distance with his arms at his sides). Or city security camera footage showing that officer Saharat Sampim lied as part of trying to justify the shooting of Roshad McIntosh, even though he didn't have a line of sight to see it. Or the officer that said Chris Cordero had exited his car and charged the officer to justify the beating Cordero got, even though a home security camera showed that he got out of the car and stood next to it, rather than charging the officer.

Time and again, officers that didn't know they were being filmed lie about what happened to justify violence. And quite often, if they're the ones that file a report, their version is the only one that is heard when there's no cameras present. I think it raises a very valid question of how many people are beaten, shot, or even killed by police but are reported as justified shootings with officers defending themselves only because there's no video evidence showing that those officers have lied. At 3 a day, and with many being killings that people want to dismiss as not happening, there is a great many going uninvestigated.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    mnjedi, Juliet316 , Rew and 1 other person like this.
  22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    A good video that completely debunks every argument made by the usual police defenders

darkspine10 likes this.
  23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    No brutality here, but a nice window into how systematically bad cops are protected, a cop who was fired after making an illegal arrest has won an appeal to be reinstated, with the arrest still being unjustified:

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...tor-finds-issues-with-internal-investigation/

As a recap of the original incident with some footage from it noted, the officer had 'training' to deescalate, he just didn't care to do so.. Part of which leads to that training isn't the answer if people will just ignore the training.
    https://nowthisnews.com/videos/poli...hows-abuse-of-69-year-old-veteran?jwsource=cl

The officer's stance from when he was fired? "I had a bad day; a really bad day and I wish I could go back. I just don’t want this to define me as the wrong officer."

It should still define him. As not allowed to be an officer. The shame is that it won't do that.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Nobody145, Juliet316 , mnjedi and 6 others like this.
  24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Bringing up another story as I think it's been a long enough gap.... but one that I've only heard about because of a small group that decided to make this an issue... just a month before George Floyd was murdered (April 11, 2020), a man in a Lansing jail died while saying he couldn't breathe in a death ruled a homicide, but is leading to no charges. Anthony Hulon's death didn't get any attention, and there's even criticism that the mayor made the symbolic effort of marching with BLM protesters while knowing that there was a homicide in the Lansing jail and that police were being investigated for it, while not releasing any of that information.

As of March this year, the family has been told that no charges will be filed against any of the officers involved.in the asphyxia death. Of course, like many of the people the police kill every year, this hasn't really gotten anything beyond local coverage.

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...thony-hulons-lansing-lockup-death/7077631002/

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Not brutality per se, but I was today years old when I learned that it has been argued all the way to the SCOTUS that police have no obligation or duty to protect the public from harm, even if they know harm is imminent.

Juliet316 and Emperor Ferus like this.