main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate No Donuts For You: The U.S. Police Brutality Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Outsourced, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004

About 5 minutes in, they mention that out of 10,000 BLM protests, 93% were peaceful. And yet our police somehow think they're more of a threat to public safety than the violent mob that ransacked the capitol and wanted to kill our elected officials. This is just like an autoimmune disease, where your immune system goes crazy and starts attacking healthy normal cells in your own body instead of doing what it's supposed to do.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, how many parents here have pepper sprayed their 9 year old? Body camera footage has been released of exactly this, involving New York cops in Rochester.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    9. ********. years. old.

If you can't handle a child without resorting to pepper spraying them, then you don't need to be a cop.

Or a parent (but that's probably a discussion for another thread)

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also the cop union claims pepper spray "does no harm".

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Of course they do. Of course they do.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Apparently, there is no rock bottom to hit.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So they would not react if someone used it on them, right?

...oh.

Among many other things, this story is a good example of why police should not be handling psychiatric crises. The child, at least from what I read, needed to be de-escalated and treated. And the police made things worse.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    In another verse of the same old song, there's yet another person who, when in crisis, was killed by police, this time in Pennsylvania: https://news.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-teen-had-hands-police-220540745.html

Particularly relevant here is that the story from the police as to why the shooting was necessary was "He complied after officers ordered him to drop the weapon, but allegedly became uncooperative. They stated he retrieved the gun from the ground and pointed it in the officers’ direction, causing them to fire at him."

After that statement was made, video has come out from people apparently watching this where police weren't aware and the assessment of that video is currently that both his hands are visible and raised when he's shot. So there's currently some big questions about how the 'official' story squares with video.

None of this should be surprising to anyone paying attention, though.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Let's not forget, that 9y/o child was also handcuffed with her hands behind her back when pepper sprayed by the thugs with badges. So ******* digusting.

and sooo surprised by the second story of more killer thugs with badges that lying.

Both stories are perfect examples of why all police need defunding, lengthy retraining, monitoring and we need a national registry of all bad cops so they never can be one again, nor own a firearm.

10. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    We don't need a different list if we would treat them as the criminals that they are.

Per this limit on gun ownership:

Has been convicted of, or is under indictment for:
    A federal crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year (typically a felony)
    A state crime that is not classified as a misdemeanor and is punishable by imprisonment for more than one year
    A state crime that is classified as a misdemeanor under state law and is punishable by more than two years imprisonment

Rew likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Update: Her family is planning to file a lawsuit.

12. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    George Floyd Justice in Policing Act

Goes to the House floor next week. I really like the proposals here, especially eliminating qualified immunity and racial profiling.

Biden is urging Congress to pass it.

Rew, Juliet316 and blackmyron like this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Coruscant likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Getting a ban for that is ridiculous.

16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Facebook sure doesn't like facts.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And Trump is appealing his ban from Facebook. If they overturn it, then the government needs to go after Facebook and try to shut it down.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

This makes me sad. Malcolm was trying to say that racism to be a chargeable offensive at the UN. I didn't even live then, and I miss him. I liked hearing what his daughter had to say.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    There is someone running in New York who wants to reform the police. She's a former police officer who could not reform the system from the inside. One of my friends told me about it. I think the police culture has always been bad in the manner that Jon Stewart described last summer. Many officers have psychological problems, but as Malcolm X said, that does not engender sympathy. Taking the woke side of it out, why in the blue f would anyone hire a bunch of racists with psychological problems? I would say that racism itself is a psychological problem. I mean, if you look at countries like India and Mexico, the lightest skinned people always oppress the darkest skinned people. That makes me grateful for those with light skin who are kind, the ones who hate colonialism and imperialism. Obviously, those are the kind of white people I befriended growing up. So, that's really the problem. It's a segregationist mentality they espouse. The more we hurt African Americans, the more we disgrace our society.

I mean, I'll use a Biblical metaphor. In Matthew, Jesus says that one must not oppress the lame, the alien, and the destitute. If one does that, they are harming God. I don't believe that's anything but a myth, of course, but I think it's a good metaphor. If a human brutalizes another human for having darker skin, that's a form of violence. I mean, the royal family was discriminating against Meghan and Harry simply for having a kid who might be darker than the descendants of Victoria. And Harry and Meghan left because of that. They don't agree with how Victoria or any of the prime ministers in the UK treated people in Africa or India. That may be a small thing. The way police hurt African Americans is more serious. But that's why cops (not all of them, but too many of them) in a fair world would be servants of civility instead of these klans-curs with badges.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/n...hows-Duluth-officer-shooting-man-through-door

Here we see that police totally learned the lesson about firing blindly with no information through doors from March 2020 as this happened in September of 2020.

Wait, no they didn't. The officer is facing charges of "intentional and reckless discharge of a firearm", when he should be facing penalties for attempted murder. Not only was this a noise that happened before they'd announced they were there and were police, there were no bullets in the door, they couldn't see what the situation they were shooting at was, plus this wasn't an immediate response to the shooting, it was delayed, and when he heard someone screaming in pain (and no additional noises that he can say were gunfire) he tried to finish the guy off. Even the other officer said he "wasn't going to start putting rounds into this apartment just on a guess".

And of course, the guy merely went to the hospital rather than die, so this gets minimal attention. Even though the difference between life and death is really just luck since, again, these were shots being fired through a solid, closed door. It's a disgusting example of undercharging (and what's even more disgusting is even the comparatively light charges he may still walk on because of the way juries are so eager to give police the benefit of the doubt).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  25. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Reading that article, it seems as if the officers were responding to a reported domestic disturbance. This means that there are at least two persons within the property, possibly more (possibly children).

Whilst the two loud bangs from within the property do sound like gunshots, there was no damage to the door and no way to know who was behind the door. Firing into a door and hoping to hit the right person is a pretty shocking way for a professional law enforcement officer to respond to such a situation. Firing off additional shots when someone screams in pain and begs the officer to stop shooting is insanity.

What struck me was officer Lindsholm saying “Tyler” three times. It sounded to me like he knew the other guy was jumpy/unpredictable and was trying to keep him calm and under control. Leibfried isn’t fit to wear the uniform and should be looking at jail time.