main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Nobody lives here anymore but...] Sherlock.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Everton, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    ****ing excellent.

That's where Moffat's been keeping all his good writing... [face_mischief]

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I watched it too. Less boring than some of the old interpretations of Sherlock Holmes.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with the line, "No ****, Sherlock". [face_praying]

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I taped it and have yet to watch it, but I'm glad to see people liked it. It got good writeups in the weekend papers.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    A fine show, but that was to be expected having seen Moffat's ability as a writer on Dr Who the last few years.

Benedict Cumberbatch is very good and plays a flawed genius very well. I like the modern additions like phones and GPS and such and the text appearing on the screen showing Holmes' thoughts is good too.

Martin Freeman was also good as Dr Watson. Nice to see a not-so-good Watson to fit in with the falwed Holmes. Most interpretations have always had Watson as a bit of a goody-two-shows who isn't as smart but is sensible. Freeman's version is different.

Moriarty as always remains elusive. Having Mycroft around will be interesting (although I have a theory that perhaps he is Moriarty ) as I don't really know a great deal about him as a character so it would be good if he could feature more.

I look forward to the next episode.

5. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Just watched online and I thought it was great. I loved how the series stayed true to the original. not just the obvious stuff like Baker Street, but the small things on the scenography that made me think of the late 19th Century (like Sherlock's apartment). At the same time the addition of modern technology worked really well.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. A-Null

A-Null Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2009
    I missed the first 15 mins but found it a very good watch.

Funny in places too! My favourite lines are:

Dr.W: I don't get it?
    SW: That is because you are an idiot
    *Dr.W with bemused face*
    SW: Don't take it like that, almost everyone practically is!"

I [face_laugh] very much at this!

Look forward to next weeks and more on his brother...whose assistant is rather attractive! [face_love]

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I love Martin Freeman but didn't quite find him convincing as a battle-hardened war veteran. I also found Cumberbatch's Sherlock to be pretty unlikeable, which I suppose might have been the intention.

Overall though it was funny, clever and entertaining fare, and I was disappointed to learn that it's only a three-part series.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just watched all 3 episodes for the first time. Phenomenal series.

Should start with the negatives

Episode 1) Bloody obvious it was the Cabby. Got that very early on.

Episode 2) Kinda bored with the Chinese Triad/Whatever things. But still good

Episode 3) Reminded eme a lot of Se7en, but absolutely riveting.

I was with Richie thinking Mycroft could be Moriarty. But this was an excellent series. The 3rd episode in particular could easily be a motion picture.

And I can't get over how much Holmes sounds EXACTLY like Alan Rickman. It's so uncanny it's scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.