main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Nobody's Baby (UPC) ~ A Mos Eisley Cantina Story~*Complete*~ Author's thanks

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I hope this comes across as something and not just "no message" :eek: o_O but I so totally agree with furry's comments--esp. since she is also a riveting elegant writer :D Huggles!!!!

2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Story Summary
    (Also known as ?You Are Here.?)

It?s Mos Eisley in 0 ABY, and ?Baby? is a 20-year-old cantina waitress who wants, more than anything else, to escape the grinding poverty and hopelessness of Tatooine. She meets a gangster named Patricius Cakkerion. Pat is handsome and charming, and he represents a way to leave the planet. She instantly is attracted to him, and they begin a whirlwind courtship.

However, a darker side of Pat soon emerges. He is a smuggler, in Mos Eisley to find a buyer for some stolen imperial radian couplings that he has stored in a freighter in another town. He meets with Jabba the Hutt?s man Greedo, who has Jabba?s authority to purchase the power couplings, which could be modified to make devastating weapons. Baby agrees to come along and translate Rodian for Pat. Greedo, however, has a side deal that intrigues Pat. Greedo has stolen ?cake? (a significant amount of money) from Jabba the Hutt, and, in exchange for a cut of the stolen money, he wants Pat to hide it to take the heat off of Greedo. Pat agrees, and with Greedo, they plan to frame the theft of the money on someone who already has a bounty on his head ? Han Solo. Greedo and Pat will kill Han and Chewie, then claim the bounties, then retrieve the cake and let the two dead victims take the blame for the stolen money.

Baby becomes increasingly worried about the cavalier way Pat plans to murder two innocent people. She also begins to doubt his sincerity about their relationship and his promise to take her with him when he leaves. After a fight in which Pat?s true nature shows itself, Baby decides she can no longer ignore the fact that Pat is not the sweet man she thought he was, and she cannot live with her conscience if she allows Chewie and Han to be murdered. She leaves him, but not before taking his datapad and holoplate that identify the location of the stolen imperial radians. She knows that Pat will be murderously angry with her for interfering with his plans, but she won?t just stand by and allow him to hurt innocent people.

She finds Han and Chewie at the Millennium Falcon and explains that they are in grave danger. In exchange for passage off Tatooine, she will tell them when the hit is planned and who is going to do it. On her way back to Chalmun?s Cantina, Baby is stopped in an alley by two women who are masquerading as the con artists, the Tonnika twins. They tell her that they are the people from whom Pat stole the radians. Baby agrees to give them the holoplate and the datapad so that they can retrieve their missing equipment in exchange for money, passage and a new identity. They agree, and then they mysteriously disappear.

She continues to Chalmun?s cantina, where she flirts with Han while they wait for the man who plans to murder Han. Although distracted by a bar fight that involves a farm kid and an old man with a crazy laser sword, Baby still manages to warn Han about Greedo. Han defeats the assassination attempt. Unsure if she will be able to hold her end of the bargain with the Tonnika twins since she?s been promised a passage with Han, she leaves the holoplate and the datapad with her friend Liru, a waitress at Chalmun?s. On her way to meet Han at the docking bays, Baby is terrified to see Pat, enraged, approaching. He nearly gets her, but she takes his speeder and drives away. Pat carjacks another speeder and follows her into a sandstorm. She doublebacks, heads to the nearest stormtrooper garrison, and sends the stormtroopers after him, claiming that Pat has the droids that the troopers are looking for.

Although this has gotten Pat off her trail (for now), it has cost her valuable time. She arrives at the docking bay to see the Millennium Falcon blast into space, leaving her behind. She has missed her opportunity to escape, and it won?t be long before Pat comes after her again.

Chapter 8.

I think I sat against that docking bay wall for about an hour. At least that?s what it felt like. There were people rushing all around me -- stormies, medics, pilots,

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    It's back!! :D

I love how descriptive this story is - feels like we're right there with her.

She smiled knowingly. ?Sure. You were never here. And earlier, when you were sitting with the Corellian, I?ll just delete your image from the official file tape. There was so much going on that no one will notice you?re missing. Nobody will know.?

This may sound crazy, but that's a brilliant way to explain Baby not being in the final cut of ANH, lol.

Awesome update! =D=

4. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    Really good as ever.

Of the 250,000 credits that we had hidden in the Oven, only 25,000 remained. A typical Tatooinian exchange; 10-to-1, and nobody wins in the long run.

Loved that line. Brilliant.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful update and brilliant plans A & B. :) Love how "Baby" doesn't stay "stumped" for long :D

6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    oooh, our Baby is one tough chick. I just hope she can make it off planet. It seems she always just misses what she's seeking to do or find. The part about the 'Oven' was perfect. I could just feel the heat from the rocks on my hands, too. Excellent update, as always, gal--and I loved the summary you posted before the chapter! =D=

7. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Awesome update! Poor Baby. She's really having a hard time, isn's she? But she's handling it all really well. I hope everything works out for her!

8. bobafett15

bobafett15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2008
    Really Good! Took me awhile to finish this, but well worth the half-hour satring at computer screens.:)

PM me, if possible.

9. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    "And earlier, when you were sitting with the Corellian, I?ll just delete your image from the official file tape. There was so much going on that no one will notice you?re missing. Nobody will know.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Okay, I just adore your humor and how you've woven this all through canon.

Bravo, Sister-pilot! =D=

10. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    :) I'm glad I took the time to read the excerpts this year! This is a great story. :) It's a great work for a minor character. You've really got me rooting for her to win and get off that sandstone. Can I be put on the pm list too? Thanks!

11. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    All of it is brilliant. Baby is one really smart girl, and I can hear her voice when I read this story.

Luckily, Liru was working again, with Wurther tending bar this time. I waved quickly to get her attention. She came over to the back of the bar where I was standing, and she frowned in concern. ?Hey, you look awful. Do you want a water?? she asked.

?Sure,? I said, accepting the bottle she pulled out of the cooler. ?Thanks.? The water felt like perfection slipping down my scorched throat.

Wurther gave her a dirty look. ?I?m payin? for it, Wurther. Don?t have a rancor fit,? she said irritably. Wurther shook his head and moved off to see to another customer.

Water must carry the value of a fine wine there, huh?

12. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Jedi Trace: Yup, it?s back. Thank you! I had that explanation set up from the beginning. That?s why you don?t see her in ANH?s cantina scene ? Liru deleted her images!;)

cdmcc: Thank you! Baby thinks like a Tatooine native. Everything is a chance game and a gamble.o_O Unfortunately, things have a way of going south for gamblers.

Jade_Eyes: You?re right, Baby is quick on her feet. But knowing that there?s someone after you who has no problem planning murder is a pretty powerful motivation. :_| Thank you!

Ginchy: That?s true ? she keeps getting knocked down. Tatooine is one tough planet to get rid of. Thank you very much for your kind words. :D

Rogue_pilot_2347: Baby is having a hard time. Nothing comes easy for her or for anyone on Tatooine. But she?s a survivor and she will work tirelessly to make it happen.:cool: Thanks so much for the reply!

Bobafett15: Thanks! I?m glad you liked this! I?ll be happy to PM you.:)

Jade_Pilot: Thanks! I?m happy you approve. More to come soon!:D

Jaya Solo: I?m so glad you stopped in from the excerpts! Thank you very much. :) I?ll be happy to put you on the PM list.

ROTSFan: Thanks! Glad you liked this. Baby is pretty smart, even though she doesn?t have much of an education. o_O And yes, water is a precious commodity.

PM List:

cdmcc
    Mystralgurl
    ROTSfan
    Rogue_Pilot_2347
    Jedi Trace
    Ginchy
    Jade_Pilot
    G__Anakin
    bobafett15
    Jaya Solo

13. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Chapter 9

I was hungry. I was filthy. Exhaustion crept up on me like a ravenous sandworm. But what choice did I have? I had to stay one step ahead of Pat.

I didn?t dare return to Chalmun?s Cantina. That would be the first place Pat would look for me once the stormtroopers let him out of lock-up at the end of the day. Besides, Liru promised she would comm me if she heard anything. I needed to get back to my home, the little cantina where I worked. I had to warn Kessi and Hol. The last thing I wanted was for them to be hurt because of me.

For the last time, I drove Pat?s speeder down the busy streets of Mos Eisley. My cantina was in an out-of-the-way side road, busy enough for foot traffic but not in the spacedock section of town. I backed the speeder into an alley, threw a discarded old tarp on it, and hoped the dust and dirt that decorated the front grill would disguise it enough for Pat to overlook it when he came by. Then I set off on foot for the place I had called home for the last four years.

Even though I had moved a lot of my things over to Pat?s apartment, I had kept some essentials in the back room that I rented from Hol. I was still wearing the skirt and tunic I had worn to work almost a full day ago. I hoped I would have enough time to get a change of clothing and some food before I had to run again. With luck, the Tonnika twins would get to the cantina first. Then I could leave with them and my running would be over.

The back entrance of the cantina was in a narrow alley. A door led into a small hallway, with my room on the left and the cantina?s office on the right. My room was really not much more than a supply closet with a cot and a trunk, but it was safe and warm. Any time there was a locked door between me and the outside world, I slept more soundly. I punched in the keycode and quietly made my way into the building, entering into the cantina itself.

Kessi saw me out of the corner of her eye and gasped. ?What-a happened to you? Where-a you been?? she said breathlessly. She came over to me and began fussing with my disordered hair and filthy clothes.

?Kessi, I need to warn you. You?re in danger,? I said.

She stepped back, narrowed her eyes, and shook her head ominously. ?That-a boyfriend. He?s no good. What-a he do to you, honey?? she asked.

?He?s trouble. Big trouble.? I took a gulp of the water she gave me. Hol started to wander over, a concerned expression on his stubbly face.

?Don?t you worry none, kid,? Hol said, tugging his shirt over his large belly. ?I?ll handle this boyfriend of yours. He won?t bother you no more.?

I sighed. ?It?s worse than that, Hol. Pat?s a criminal. He?s stolen money from Jabba the Hutt, and he took something the Imps want, and now he?s after me.?

Kessi looked at me blankly. ?Why-a he after you? What do he care about what you do?? she asked.

I hung my head. ?That money and the Imp equipment that Pat took? Well, now I have it.?

Hol stared at me, his mouth open. After a moment?s pause, he said, ?So give it back. Maybe he?ll go away.?

?No, he won?t go away! Don?t you see? I know what he?s done, and I know what he took! I?m a witness. The only other witness is already dead,? I said in despair.

Kessi touched her fingers to her lips in concern. Then she placed one gentle hand on my shoulder. ?We?ll help-a you. What canna we do??

I swallowed. I could smell the kitchen aromas, and my stomach growled. ?I?m awfully hungry," I admitted.

Hol nodded. ?I?ll make that sandwich you like, with some vegitines on the side.? He started back toward the kitchen as I thanked him.

I turned back to Kessi. ?I?m going to wash up and get some stuff from my room. Then I have to run out for a little bit. But I?m expecting someone to come by and help. Could you keep them here if ? when ? they come??

?Of course, honey,? she said. ?Who is it??

?The Tonnika twins.?

Her eyes widened. ?You-a trust the Tonnika twins?? she exclaimed.

I stopped rummaging in my slingbag and looked at her. ?They?re not really the Tonnika sisters. They?re,

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet of Baby to give some of her precious stash to Kessi... but oh lands, Liru's warning came too late!!!! [face_worried] [face_worried] Oh, foot, I can't stand it!!!! To have Baby come so close ...

15. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    Thanks for the PM

Oh dear, things don't look too good.:eek:

Great stuff=D=

16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    aaaaaaauuuughhh! Nooo!

That is just an EVIL place to leave us! [face_not_talking]

I need to know what happens next! Darn that Pat! Nobody puts Baby in a corner! (Run, Baby, Run!!!)

17. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow, awesomely evil cliffie. Feels like one of my own. ;) For some reason I just knew the end was going to be different from the rest of the bitter-sweet actions she had been taking. Great job. :)

18. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! :eek: Evil cliffie!! You HAVE to update this soon! Don't leave us fretting, girl!

Bravo! =D=

19. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! She was SO close! Not now! Stupid Imps. What'd they have to go and let him out early for?

Anyway, aside from that, I really like the chapter. Tthe section where Baby explained what she was running from was really neat. Definitely update soon!

20. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Please add me to the PM list!

21. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    ACK!! Evil, EVIL CLIFFIE!! [face_worried] :_|

The whole chapter was fantastic, but this part really stood out:

Deep down, I knew it was something different. I wasn?t just running away from Pat. I was running away from this slum, this hell where people sold themselves, sold their futures and their very souls, so that they could get one more hot meal. Where girls younger than I was convinced themselves that they could go to Jabba?s palace and really only be dancers. Where people smiled and flirted with you, only to use you to get an in with the local bribery connections. Where compassion was a weakness: if you didn?t take for yourself first, that marked you as easy prey.

For some odd reason, my mind turned toward that farm kid in the cantina. Was it just earlier today? I bet he complained about how dull his life was, how his parents overprotected him

Such a grim but gritty and realistic summation. I really feel for her here, weathering everything she's gone through just for a chance to get away and start a new life. Her reality stacked against the comments about Luke really put things in perspective. Wow. =D=

More soon? [face_praying]

22. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    :eek: Damn! How did Pat catch up with her so quickly? I thought he just got out!

You better update this soon. Please [face_praying]

23. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Liru tried to help, but the bad guy got a head start. And Baby wants her friends? lives to be a little easier. If she can?t take them with her, she?ll do what she can to ease the departure. [:D] Thank you for reading!

Cdmcc: Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, Pat has caught up with her, and he ain?t happy.[face_worried]

Ginchy: Thanks, Ginchy! Pat thinks he has her now, but he doesn?t know everything. She still has something Pat doesn?t ? friends. :cool:

Jaya Solo: Thank you! This cliffie has been building up for some time, huh? Pat?s caught her, and he wants revenge. But she has the home court advantage. ;)

Jade_Pilot: Yes, I did give you an evil cliffie. Baby was distracted, and she let her guard down for a moment. Now she?ll have to find a way to get away from him again. :eek: Thanks, sister Pilot!

Rogue_Pilot_2347: Thanks! I?m glad you liked it. I wanted her to have a chance to get away from the poverty, the indignity, and the cruelty. She has a good heart, and she knows she will either be consumed by the ruthlessness, or join it. This money she?s come into (albeit it illegally) will give her another option. ;)

And those stupid Imps. Since there?s no more droids to chase, there?s no point in keeping Pat under arrest. Blame Han. He?s the one who took the droids.:p

Handmaiden_Azul: Thank you for reading. I?m glad to add you to the PM list.:)

Jedi Trace: thanks, Trace! I think Baby had to grow up really fast, whereas Luke has been too protected. What seems like an exciting adventure to him is cruel everyday survival to her.o_O

ROTSfan: Thank you! Yes, Pat got there quick. But he knows where she works, and he knows who she cares about, and he went straight there. Unfortunately, Liru got the news too late to help Baby.[face_worried]

PM list:
    cdmcc
    Mystralgurl
    ROTSfan
    Rogue_Pilot_2347
    Jedi Trace
    Ginchy
    Jade_Pilot
    G__Anakin
    bobafett15
    Jaya Solo
    Handmaiden_Azul

24. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Chapter 10.

Pat shook his head wordlessly at me, then his face contorted into a hateful scowl. Pain roared down my arm as he twisted my arm even harder. Then he slammed my head against the wall again. I felt warmth trickle down my face, and the blood from my nose tasted metallic and warm on my lips.

With a rapid shove, he threw me to the ground. I fell backwards and landed on my back. He straddled me quickly, then began to frisk me. I raised my hands to try to push him off of me, but he just curled his hand into a fist and hit me across the face. I lay there dazed as he dug his hand into my skirt pocket.

?What?s this? My keys?? he mocked, dangling the speeder cardkeys in front of me. He shoved them in his trouser pockets. ?Where?s the rest of my stuff, Baby?? he shouted. Spittle flew across my face and I flinched.

Pat got off of me, then grabbed my shirt. He jerked me up, then threw me against the wall again. I hit the wall hard, then slid down the wall and crouched against it, trying to protect my hurt arm. He bent very close to me. ?You?re gonna tell me where my stuff is, or I?m gonna do some permanent damage. Then I?m gonna go inside and mess up your friends. So, what do you say? Are you gonna cooperate, or do I have to get mean??

He stood back up and kicked me as hard as he could. I had never felt pain like that before. I almost threw up. I fell flat on the ground, then curled into a ball, too hurt to even cry out. Blood dripped out of my mouth, and I gasped for air.

Pat circled around me, like a krayt dragon coming in for a kill. ?I could kick you in the neck, you know. Then you?d never get up. Where?s my stuff??

He had drawn his leg back to kick me again when suddenly I heard the distinctive sounds of a blaster shot and a weapon discharge reset whine. ?That?s enough,? a woman?s voice said sternly.

Pat?s expression went from furious to complete surprise. His eyes rolled back and he fell down, a dead weight, on top of me. I struggled to push him off, his weight making my breathing difficult. Then someone was there, moving the weight off of me and gently placing their hands under my arms. ?Easy now,? she said. ?Come on. That?s right.?

I clung to her arm, then looked at her through my swelling eyes. The woman was tall, with long, thin black braids that she had unpinned from the top of her head and wore pulled back in a ponytail. I saw a blaster in the holster strapped to her thigh.

?Brea?? I asked.

She smiled. ?Actually, it?s Shada,? she said.

The door to the cantina burst open and Hol stepped out, looking anxious. He saw us and lumbered over. ?I heard a blaster,? he explained as he gently took me from Shada?s arms. As he started to bring me inside, he turned his head to look at the prone figure of Pat, lying face down in the alley. ?Is that the sithspawn who did this to you? I?m gonna get his--?

?Don?t worry about him,? Shada said. ?He?ll be out for a while.?

Hol carefully set me on my cot in the back room and called for Kessi. She came in, took one look at me, then ran off to the ?fresher for water and towels.

I looked up at Shada and squinted. ?You came for me,? I said solemnly. ?Pat would have killed me for sure. Thanks.?

She shrugged. ?I can?t stand to see someone bully someone else. And that?s all Patricius Cakkerion is -- a bully.? She stood aside as Kessi began to wipe the blood off of my face.

?Who are you, really?? I asked, through Kessi?s ministrations.

?I was waiting for that question,? she said. ?I?m Shada D?ukal. I?m part of a team that was hired to protect a project that Imperial scientists had created. During the transport, our team was ambushed.? She grew quiet. ?We lost three of our members. My other two teammates, Karoly and Cai, are here on Tatooine. You saw Karoly in the cantina. Cai stayed with the ships.?

?Why did you come to Tatooine?? I asked.

She shook her head. ?It was the furthest place we thought of to take the project. And it had an area big enough to land a Strike Cruiser.?

?A Strike Cruiser?? I said incredulously.

?T

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Glad Pat got his--glad Baby's safe again :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.