main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends *Nominated & Delurked* Overkill - J/J Songfic, AU post-NJO - COMPLETE (Announcement 6/23)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by BigFatty, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    First off, it's Lurker Appreciation Week here on the boards:

[image=http://www.rhonderoo.com/babyluke.jpg]

That being said, I cordially invite any and all lurkers to post here. You can be nice, mean, write a lot, or just leave a smiley--I'll be glad to see and read any of it. Don't worry about being shy, the vast majority of his were in your place once. We just want you to make yourselves known so we can be friends. We promise not to bite, after all it's Hug a Lurker Day. [:D]

And now to the story:

Title: Overkill
    Author: BigFatty
    Timeframe: Post-NJO
    Characters: Mostly Jaina with a little Jag
    Summary: Jaina wondering what her life will end up being.
    Notes: I only own the laptop the story was typed on. Star Wars is all George Lucas. The song "Overkill" (in blue) is the acoustic version done by Colin Hay, again not at all mine. A huge thanks to my lovely beta people: Wynssa_Starflare, TKL, & NYCitygurl. [:D] I'm not too sure what my posting schedule will be (this is the first of four parts) due to tomorrow starting finals week, but I'll do the best I can.

PS-dozen chocolate chip cookies to whoever can name which TV show used this song and its singer in an opening of an episode. ;)

I can't get to sleep
    I think about the implications
    Of diving in too deep
    And possibly the complications

As usual, she was exhausted; as usual, sleep escaped her. If she wasn?t helping the Alliance cobble together fighter squadrons from what was left after the war, she was running around the galaxy on missions for the Council. Jaina Solo should be asleep, but her mind was not listening to her body.

Part of her was glad she couldn?t sleep; with sleep comes dreams. These were the times when she despised her Jedi heritage. What she wouldn?t give for one night where she could simply sleep. Sleep and maybe remember what she dreamed, instead of reliving it throughout the day with her enhanced memory. And if she were able to remember her dreams, she wouldn?t have to worry whether or not they held significant meanings. She would know they were just dreams and not premonitions.

Today was an anniversary, the anniversary of their first kiss. Inevitably she would dream of him tonight. Maybe she would be lucky and she would relive that kiss. But even that thought carried an amount of pain. Every day between twilight and dawn she was assaulted with ?what ifs?. What if she had gone with him to Csilla? What if they had kept in touch after the war? What if she hadn?t turned her back on him?

Especially at night
    I worry over situations
    I know will be alright
    Perhaps it's just imagination

She didn?t know where he was, somewhere in the Unknown Regions was the best she could do. He had been named Ambassador, then quietly pulled back into Chiss space without reason. Her pessimistic mind kept gnawing at her. What would be so important that would cause him to disappear so quickly? She tried to convince herself that it was just the Chiss overreacting, but part of her wondered if they weren?t.

What if he was sent into battle and was killed? Would she know? What if he had been dead for months and she didn?t know? Were the dreams that haunted her nights with visions of them as a couple, decorating a home, raising children the Force taunting her and punishing her for her mistakes?

She tried to convince herself that nothing had happened to him. Nothing bad anyway. Even if she didn?t feel, Wedge would know and would tell her. Or would he withhold information if he thought that she had broken his nephew?s heart? No, only enemy pilots saw that vicious side of Wedge Antilles. She was his hold daughter, he would tell her.

She tossed and turned between the sheets begging sleep to come if only to quell the questions attacking her mind. Yet it never came.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This is beautiful!! Wonderful job :D

You're welcome :)

3. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Awwww this was nice! Short and sweet!

4. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Getting off a couple of replies before getting some food and returning to the world of biochemistry and microbiology... ugh to finals week.

NYCitygurl: This is beautiful!! Wonderful job

Aww, thanks! By the way, I went to NYC for my spring this year and cannot wait to go back. I claim the city as my boyfriend--he sings me showtunes, takes me on nice walks through parks, feeds me great food... sigh. Such a great place.

Elfsheen: Awwww this was nice!

Thanks! Glad you're liking it.

Short and sweet

Oh, they'll be more to come. ;) This was just the first tidbit.

5. JediCallista_1_6_e54

JediCallista_1_6_e54 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    SCRUBS!!! DO I WIN? Great songfic.

6. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Oh, they'll be more to come. This was just the first tidbit.

I know, but it was a nice intro. Short and sweet :p

7. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Very nice! Good to see a different point of view on the J/J post-NJO situation...

I'm worried about both of them - can't wait to see where you want to go with this!

oldj

8. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    That's very good. I too hope that Jag is okay. And poor Jaina, not knowing what happened to him.

I hope that you do well on your finals.

~Myra :D

9. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    awesome job!

Dont forget to send in the following info to the J/J index!

Please PM all your Jaina/Jag stories to Jaina_Jag_Index in the following format (no mark-up codes please):

Title:
    Link to story:
    Link to your user profile:
    Co-Authors: (If applicable) And their user profiles
    Timeframe: (post NJO, post-Ruin, etc.)
    Characters:
    Genre: (romance, action, etc.)
    Keywords:
    Summary:
    Notes: (WIP, Complete, Vignette, etc., Awards it's won)

Thanks JG15!

10. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Great post ;)
    --Wynssa

11. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    You know this is how I pictured it after TUF was done. Jaina consumed by what ifs.

IMO you captured Jaina perfectly. Great job.

12. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Study break ;)

JediCallista: SCRUBS!!! DO I WIN?

Most impressive! As promised, a dozen chocolate chip cookies via the internet:

(::)(::)

Great songfic

Thanks!

oldj: Very nice!

Thanks!

Good to see a different point of view on the J/J post-NJO situation...

I'm worried about both of them - can't wait to see where you want to go with this!

Yes, even in a GFFA life isn't happy-go-lucky, especially for these people it seems. I won't make any promises on what's going to happen [face_devil], but I hope y'all will like it.

Mirax_Corran: That's very good.

Thank you. Again, don't worry too much. I don't have enough confidence with me having a fanbase to kill anyone off... yet. ;)

I hope that you do well on your finals.

Thanks, me too. :)

JG15: First, there's a PM in the JJ Index in case you haven't seen it already, thanks for including me. Glad you're enjoying the story.

Wynssa: Great post ;)

Thanks. :) Who knew a Hoosier and a Boilermaker could help each other out and be nice to each other? ;)

Lola: You know this is how I pictured it after TUF was done. Jaina consumed by what ifs.

I agree. Being a 21-year-old, my head is full of what ifs and I didn't fight in a galactic war, lose a brother, etc. Can't imagine how confused her head might be.

IMO you captured Jaina perfectly. Great job.

Aww [face_blush] thanks. Credit also goes to my beta trio for keeping me & Jaina in line.

13. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    oooooh, looks good!

14. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    One final down, two to go...

AvenKiel: looks good!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the first part.

And to any lurkers out there, it's Fave Fic Challenge Day today. Let your fellow lurkers know what your favorite fics are by leaving a post. The author of that fic will then add "**delurked**" to the title thread so others perusing stories know which ones are a good read.

15. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    BigFatty: I didn't even realize that was the song when I beta-ed [face_blush]

Since I am a horrible lurker you can consider that I usually would have, but this week I am posting in everything I read :D

Anyway great job! =D=

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was wonderful! :D

17. JediJainaSoloFel

JediJainaSoloFel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2004
    Off to a great start! I cannot wait to see where you go with this!

18. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    TKL: First off, congrats on the VIP status and good luck with the focus groups.

I didn't even realize that was the song when I beta-ed

That's ok, it's quite the happy-sounding song for such a sad-sounding fic.

Since I am a horrible lurker you can consider that I usually would have, but this week I am posting in everything I read

Does that mean I get to add a **delurked** to the title thread? ;)

Anyway great job!

Thank you so much for the compliment and for the help.

VaderLV: That was wonderful!

Thank you :)

JJSF: Off to a great start! I cannot wait to see where you go with this!

Thanks! I'll do my best to get a post up on Wednesday I think to celebrate being done with finals.

That being said, have a good night, physics & micro are sadly calling my name.

19. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Happy Tuesday which is Lazy Lurker Day. Follow this[link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/20132052/?12]link[/link] for instructions on what to do. Even the laziest of you can click a button or two.

Tomorrow for Lurker Apprecation Week is what I like to call "Become a Redshirt Day" since it was shorter to explain in Star Trek terms (Redshirts=no names who you just know right from the moment you see them that it's only a matter of time before they're killed off). This means the best lurker in my story (or if you would like to delurk in my other story [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/19618318]Baby Girl[/link] I'll count that as well) will get to make an appearance as a low-ranking officer who gets to die a glorious death. I'll let you pick what kind of character you want to be and how you want to die. ;) Judging takes place tonight for the awards tomorrow, so be sure to get a post in.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Community Squirrel Whisperer star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Awww, anniversary of a first kiss.. that is romantic. *Sigh*

21. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Wow.... I'm not much of a J/J fan,,, but that was REALLY awsome! Courtney

22. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Leona: Awww, anniversary of a first kiss.. that is romantic. *Sigh*

Haha, thanks.

Courtney_Solo: Wow.... I'm not much of a J/J fan,,, but that was REALLY awsome!

Thank you, glad you're enjoying it.

23. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Sep 5, 2004
    Wonderful job. =D=

24. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    FelsGoddess: Wonderful job

Thank you!

Happy Lucky Lurker Gets Killed Off Day!

It's also Wednesday, I'll get another post up this afternoon after my two remaining finals. Until then, have a fabulous morning. :)

25. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Good luck on your finals BigFatty!
    --Wynssa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.