main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends *Nominated & Delurked* Overkill - J/J Songfic, AU post-NJO - COMPLETE (Announcement 6/23)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by BigFatty, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Finals are over! :) Big thanks to all of you who left me notes of encouragement about them, they were appreciated.

Commence summer vacation and the next post. :cool:

Day after day it reappears
    Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
    Ghosts appear and fade away

She had no idea how many times she had repeated the actions. She would sit down at the comm station fully prepared to send a ?hello?. Sometimes she even got a message recorded, but she could never bring herself together to hit ?send?. There was no way she would chance a live conversation with him, it would have to be text-only.

Most days she would do it after seeing Tahiri. Although the young woman had moved on from her history with Anakin, both women knew Tahiri?s love for him would never die. Jaina knew if Anakin were still around he?d have force his sister to send a message to Jag. She kept waiting for a blue specter to show up in her bedroom and lecture her on how she was still alive and lucky enough to have the chance to be with those she loved.

Instead the only ghosts that visited her were of the future. Ghosts of what her life would be if she continued down her current path: endless missions with the Council until she was worthy of a seat on it. Or they would be of endless missions with fighter pilots mopping up whatever evil lurked in the galaxy. Both were monotonous; while to a casual observer who only knew Jaina from the holonet, they would seem like the perfect lives for her.

But those who actually knew her would tell you that nothing could be farther from the truth. It was the other type of ghosts from the future that were true to her soul, and therefore more frightening. Those days would be monotonous too: helping children with their homework, attempting to cook meals, ironing her husband?s uniforms. But it was a monotony she would relish.

She wondered which ghost would become her future and which one would either haunt her or make her grateful for what she had.

Alone between the sheets
    Only brings exasperation
    It's time to walk the streets
    Smell the desperation

It was a habit she?d picked up from her father when he was in his insomniac stages?roaming the streets at night looking for a cantina that served some decent alcohol. She?d find one, go to a dark corner, a pay a lucky bartender a tip equal to a month?s wages. She never got drunk, just enough liquid to burn her esophagus for a while.

While there she would subtly people watch. She would imagine what their lives must be outside the four walls of the establishment. Were they happy? Were they there to drink away painful memories? Were they insomniacs as well?

She seemed to be asking enough questions lately that she wondered if she and Jacen hadn?t exchanged minds somehow. But at least it was something to occupy her time. If she was busy imaging what other people?s lives were like then she wouldn?t have to think about her own.

She wouldn?t be wondering if the red flashing light on her comm station would be blinking when she got back telling her she had a message. She wouldn?t be looking at the chrono on the wall and converting the hours to Chiss time. She wouldn?t wonder whether he hated or loved her.

So instead she turned her attention to the older man with the green shirt and began her new game.

2. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    WTK? Ooo, that was good. I can't wait to see who this mystery man is...

Very good post. I'm glad that your finals are over.

Call me Myra.

~Myra

3. WynssaStarflare

WynssaStarflare Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Great post ;) You really are keeping everyone in suspense [face_mischief] How late did you start school? Just curious :D All the state schools in IN got out a month ago. Congrats on being done.
    --Wynssa

4. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Cool! Another author offering readers goodies! Yumm! =P~

*grabs a handful of chocolate chip cookies *

Big Fatty

I delurked because I saw your button and I didn't want baby Luke to cry... :( and for the cookies of course. *munches* I neef milf. *takes milk away from baby Luke*

Oh, please! The kid was always a whiner, I guess! Here, you can have your blue milk back. :rolleyes:

Great job, BigF! Please don?t let anything happen to Jag.

Can?t wait for more! :D

@};-

p.s. Thanks for the :):) :):) *steals another swig of blue milk from baby Luke*

5. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Myra: WTK?

It took me a second to figure that one, then I realized what it meant. Haha.

Ooo, that was good. I can't wait to see who this mystery man is... Very good post.

Thank you very much. As for the mystery man, I wouldn't worry too much about him. He's just a means to distract Jaina from the actual man in her life. Well, kind of in her life.

I'm glad that your finals are over.

Me too. :)

Wynssa: Great post ;) You really are keeping everyone in suspense

Thank you. And as for the suspense [face_devil]. Halfway through with posts, so it won't take too much longer.

How late did you start school? Just curious. All the state schools in IN got out a month ago. Congrats on being done.

Ohio State, as well as Northwestern and Rose-Hulman, use the antiquated system of quarters instead of semesters. Our fall quarter goes from the end of September to December. Winter quarter is January till the end of March & spring quarter is from April till now. Sometimes (like now) it's not that fun of a system, but at least you don't get bored with your classes since you get a new schedule every 12 weeks or so. And you get to buy school supplies that much more often. ;) And yes, I know you guys have been done for a while, my lovely cousin who goes to IU keeps reminding me. :p

Red: Cool! Another author offering readers goodies!

Whatever bribe works I guess. ;) And hugs for delurking [:D], I guess that means I can put *Delurked* in the title now. :)

And if lurking doesn't make Baby Luke cry, stealing his blue milk might.

Great job, BigF! Please don?t let anything happen to Jag.

Thanks! And welcome to the story. I'll do my best to be nice to Jag. O:)

6. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Awesome post again! Just what I need to cheer me up! :)

7. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Elfsheen: Awesome post again! Just what I need to cheer me up!

Aww, thanks. Glad I could make you happy. :)

Thursday of Lurker Week is aimed at those Feedback Junkies Who Need To Share the Love. If you're an author who waits with baited breath for a response, but never returns the favor to other authors, time to make a change. Be nice to all the other feedback junkies out there and leave a post and maybe they'll return the favor.

As for my personal contest of best delurk, Red is winning that one (even if she stole milk for little Luke). There's still a couple days worth of time to enter.

8. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Happy Friday! It's also Guilty As Charged Day here on the boards. Do you love a story, but would never tell your friends about it for fear of them making fun of you? Time to fess up.

As for my story, the next post will be up sometime this weekend.

9. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    *claps* Well done, Padawan. :D Now, why aren't you "knighted" yet? ;) Great job. You actually have me hoping Jag hurries back into the picture, which is no small feat. :p And I hope Jaina doesn't do anything she regrets... [face_shame_on_you] Just say "no" to Mr. Green-shirt Hottie, Jay. It's better for you in the long run.

Looking forward to the next post!

~*~Austyn

10. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    WTK?

It took me a second to figure that one, then I realized what it meant. Haha.

Sorry. It's Star Wars IM language. Don't ask.

11. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Whoa. I just went over to the Writer Resource Forum and looked at the Beyond the Saga Awards thread. Someone thought I was worthy of a nom! :eek:[face_blush]:D

Please remember to vote. It doesn't have to be for me, whatever you feel is worthy of the awards. For more info on how to nominate stories and all the awards goodness, check out the Writer Resource Forum.

Now to replies...

Austyn: Hello master!

Well done, Padawan. Now, why aren't you "knighted" yet? Great job.

Aww, thanks! Glad I'm doing you proud. ;)

You actually have me hoping Jag hurries back into the picture, which is no small feat.

See? J/J fans and J/K fans can be friends!

And I hope Jaina doesn't do anything she regrets... Just say "no" to Mr. Green-shirt Hottie, Jay. It's better for you in the long run.

That's hilarious because that's not at all what I was trying to make you guys think. In my head he has gray hair, not at all meant to be a love interest for Jaina. You guys must be really worried about things if that's how most of you took it. ;)

Looking forward to the next post!

Thanks. In honor of me being stoked about a nom, I think I'll post it tomorrow sometime while taking a break from cleaning out my closet.

Myra: Sorry. It's Star Wars IM language. Don't ask.

Haha, it's fine. I just may need to ask for clarifications from time to time.

As my TA Raj would say: "So the take home message is Fatty's going to post tomorrow & go vote."

12. WynssaStarflare

Nov 17, 2004
    Congrats on the nom :D I can see how the quarter could be interesting and infuriating at the same time. Enjoy your summer! :)
    --Wynssa

13. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Wynssa: Congrats on the nom

Thanks! Only two more needed to get to make it to the next round.

I can see how the quarter could be interesting and infuriating at the same time. Enjoy your summer!

Yes our school year is very much like that. And I will enjoy my summer, thanks.

And now the next post:

At least there's pretty lights
    And though there's little variation
    It nullifies the night
    From overkill

While Denon wasn?t Coruscant, it was still busy enough to keep people distracted. You still had to close the blinds on your windows at night to block out the neon advertising outside. She didn?t close her blinds; she knew she wouldn?t be sleeping anyway. She had been able to sleep for the past two nights, but today she had overheard another officer mention something about receiving a report from the Unknown Regions.

Part of her mind kept telling her that there was more to the Unknown Regions than Chiss space. It could be about Zonama Sekot?quit worrying and go to sleep. But the other part of her mind was going at full speed attempting to bring her as much anxiety as her Jedi calming skills could battle.

What if he had been renamed Ambassador? The Chiss had yet to appoint one and send them to Denon. What if was on his way here? Granted the government headquarters were on the other side of the planet, but it would be only a matter of time before one of them grew curious and crossed the distance.

What would she say? Would she be able to find her voice? Could she even make eye contact with him? Wedge would deny it to his death, but she knew that he thought she had hurt his nephew?s heart. Had Syal sent him a message detailing her son?s moping and broken heart? Would Jag mope? Probably not. He would walk around with a stiff upper lip until he was in private and then maybe then he might frown a little.

She wondered how much more she could take before her patience snapped from the overkill of too many questions and too little sleep.

I can't get to sleep
    I think about the implications
    Of diving in too deep
    And possibly the complications

It was four in the morning. She had been torturing herself for months and was about to leave on a mission for the Council that could take weeks. She needed her sleep. Fed up with the civil war going on inside of her mind, she headed over to the comm station. She was glad the message would be text-only. Despite what he might feel for her now, she knew he would worry if he saw her hair in disarray and the large sacks under her eyes.

She knocked down a shot of whiskey and quietly laughed at herself for picking up another habit from her father. It seemed almost a tradition for him to sneak some whiskey when he was about to do something that scared him. She sighed and began to type.

?Jag-

I try to think of greetings to insert here, but nothing seems to fit, so I?ll cut to the power source.

When I said I wasn?t ready to meet your family two years ago, it didn?t mean that I wanted to get rid of you. I needed to catch my breath. I needed to see what my life had become after the war. I didn?t know who I was, so how could I have presented myself to your parents so they could get to know me?

I never meant to lose contact with you. I don?t know how it happened, well, yes I do. After thinking about things for a while I realized where my life needed to go. It needs to be with yours. I say that in the present tense, but you may have moved on and sealed thoughts of me in the past.

I was scared. I?ve been independent forever and for me to acknowledge that I need a wingman outside of my cockpit was terrifying. So I ran and hid, what a mistake.

I don?t know what your life is like now, but if there is any room in it for me, I would gladly take it. Whether you want me there or not is up to you, and I would understand either way. I?m just tired of debating what my life could be. I need to know what it will be.

Please don?t think you have to hurry wit

14. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    *grins* Love it.

~*~Austyn

15. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    Lovely job. :D I'd write more, but...I'm lazy. It was a fantastic piece, and well worth getting nominated. Congrats by the way. =D=

16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, thanks! By the way, I went to NYC for my spring this year and cannot wait to go back. I claim the city as my boyfriend--he sings me showtunes, takes me on nice walks through parks, feeds me great food... sigh. Such a great place.

You're welcome :) Lol [face_laugh]

Aww, poor Jaina!!! Wonderful job :)

17. WynssaStarflare

Nov 17, 2004
    Great post :)
    --Wynssa

18. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Austyn: *grins* Love it.

Thank you Master. :)

DCWiz00: Lovely job. I'd write more, but...I'm lazy.

Haha, I'd be happy with just "lovely job".

It was a fantastic piece, and well worth getting nominated. Congrats by the way.

Thanks, there's still one final post left. As for the awards thing, it only has one nomination and needs 3 to qualify for the next round. So if you haven't voted, please do. I'll be sending in my PM this afternoon.

NYCitygurl: Aww, poor Jaina!!! Wonderful job

Thanks Nat.

Wynssa: Great post

Thanks!

More announcements: Winner of my delurker contest is Red. Look for her cameo in my next story. ;) As I mentioned earlier there is one more post left for this story and I'll post it on Wednesday. If you haven't voted, please do. All the info is in the Resource Forum link at the top of you page. By the way, I qualify as a new author and have two stories that are eligible for noms and can be found in my profile. [/shameless plug]

Have a good rest of the weekend and thanks again for reading. :)

19. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    wonderful job! cant wait till wednesday!

20. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    JG15: wonderful job! cant wait till wednesday!

Thanks. I'll be nervous, sad, and happy that it will be over. Nervous because I'll have to write more. Sad because my stories are getting more and more responses and I'm a sucker for waking up to compliments and I won't get that for however long it takes to write my next thing. And happy that the whole story will be out.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it and thanks for adding me to J/J index. :)

21. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    I don?t know what your life is like now, but if there is any room in it for me, I would gladly take it. Whether you want me there or not is up to you, and I would understand either way. I?m just tired of debating what my life could be. I need to know what it will be.

Please don?t think you have to hurry with your response. I leave tomorrow on a mission for the Council and will be gone for 4 weeks minimum. Don?t worry, nothing dangerous, just some? well I?m too tired to remember right now, but it will be easy and harmless.

Um, I'm not sure why this made me worry... [face_worried] I hope nothing bad happens to Jaina on this mission, and that it's not too late for them now that she knows what she wants. [face_worried]

Congratulations on the nomination, BigF! =D= Very well-deserved! :D

And I won?!? :eek: Shucks! I never win anything! Yippeee!! I can't wait for my cameo. [face_dancing] Thank you so much. I stole milk and cookies and I won! [face_laugh] I love it!

@};-

22. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Good update.

23. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Red: Um, I'm not sure why this made me worry... I hope nothing bad happens to Jaina on this mission, and that it's not too late for them now that she knows what she wants.

The only bad thing that will happen to Jaina is she has to act like a diplomat. ;) No worries... for her mission at least [face_devil]

Congratulations on the nomination, BigF! Very well-deserved!

Thanks! I'll be happy with the one person who nominated me, but to win would be flippin' sweet. ;)

And I won?!? Shucks! I never win anything! Yippeee!! I can't wait for my cameo. Thank you so much. I stole milk and cookies and I won! I love it!

Yes, you won! And by the way with my suggestions, I didn't mean to make you sound old, just wanted to give you all the options. Hope you didn't take offense. And yes, I found stealing the cookies and milk funny; little Luke, not so much.

FelsGoddess: Good update.

Thank you. :)

24. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    First a few announcements:

1) The new features on the post pages make me look like this [face_dancing] , so much easier now

2) This is my 100th post, so once again-- [face_dancing]

3) Thank you so much to all of those who have read this story and a bigger thank you to all of those who left comments. You guys make my day. :)

And now, the final post...

Especially at night
    I worry over situations
    I know will be alright
    It's just overkill

The problem with being gone for a month in the Outer Rim was that you were in the middle of nowhere, stuck haggling over some trade dispute between two backwater planets. Her uncle had decided that she was taking on too many dangerous missions and had decided to give her one that would be a piece of ryshcate. She wondered if he had assigned her the mission as a practical joke or as a punishment. She was most certainly not the diplomat of the family, but she gave it the best shot she could and things had turned out reasonably well.

She could?ve checked her messages while she was out there, but she could also chalk it up to poor signal strength and leave her inbox alone. She chose the latter. The questions threatened to rise in her mind again about what would happen. Had he gotten her message? What would he say? She tossed and turned wondering if she was going to be an insomniac for the rest of her life.

The day she returned from her mission she was debriefed by the Council, had dinner with her parents, and returned to her apartment. Perhaps it was the excitement of being among civilization again that caused her to be able to fall asleep within seconds of entering her temporary home. Whatever it was, she didn?t notice the red flashing light until morning. She glanced through her inbox to see who had left messages in her absence. At least that?s what she tried to convince herself she was doing, really she was looking for the ?Fel, Colonel Jagged? to appear in the column of Senders. And there it was. The message and the reason she decided 0800 was not too early in the morning for alcohol. She downed her shot and opened the message.

?Jaina-?

El fin.

25. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Posted the last bit this morning before leaving for work and come home to find it on page 4. So in case you didn't see it... here it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.