main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends **NOMMED** The Family Album -- Solo & Skywalker Clans (Post-NJO AU) -- COMPLETE 6/24

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by BigFatty, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    It's so tough to watch people you know to be strong have a weak moment.

I too will be sad to see this one go. It's been very cool, putting together the holos and stories like that.

2. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Tres Eloquent--BF.

Well done.

3. IceFire27

IceFire27 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2007
    I'm sorry that it took me awile to respond BF. It was hard for me to know what to say. I can feel her pain as if it was my own. I've lost 8 family members to cancer and maybe another before the end of the year. All we can do is pray for her.

Though I do agree with the others, I always thought that Syal would outlast Soontir. Or at least that they would go together. Thank you for the moving update and I look forward to more.

P.S. Wonderfull artwork oldj!! :D

4. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I'll do replies soon, but it's a little late for me to properly return the comments you kindly bestowed upon me. As for this post, yes it was a difficult one. The story is one very close to me. When I was ten, my grandmother was admitted into the hospital on the first Saturday in April. Dad picked my sister and I up from our friend's house where we had spent the previous night. For two months, my grandmother quickly lost a battle with pancreatic cancer. The night before she passed away, our family was called in during the middle of the night to drive the fifty miles to be by her side. It was decided to let her go, since we reluctantly knew she would be better off free of this life than suffering in it. That afternoon I can vividly remember standing outside the hospital with my dad and two uncles (the sons-in-law of the family) along with my Grandpa who cried through smoking his cigarette that he couldn't stand there and watch his wife of fifty-two-and-a-half years slip away.

A little Mary-Sue-ish to make Nawra's life so closely mirror my own? Perhaps. But as many of you have mentioned, it is a near and not-quite-dear to your hearts as well.

And now you know the sole motivation of this post: my grandparents.

Replies will come within the next couple of days, but before I forget, a massive and heartfelt thanks to all of you for supporting me this far and allowing this piece to break seven hundred posts. That last part hasn't fully sunk into my brain, but even numb to it I'm extremely grateful to you all.

5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I'm very sorry to hear about your family. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you. And then to re-live it while writing this post but have been very difficult too. [:D]

6. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Z: Thanks. People keep saying I understand parenthood well and it's making me scared to have kids someday and show just how little I actually know. But thanks for stopping by and leaving a note.

JoE: Imagery is something I've been trying to work on, and I'm glad to see that it's starting to pay off. Thank you so much for your comment.

SWPants: Actually there's four sections left, not two, so there's something to be a little happy about right? And as for this being difficult to relive and type up, it wasn't that bad. I lost my grandmother thirteen years ago, and while I do miss her, I can now write about it and think about it without emotional turmoil. Other things in my life I'm not there yet, but this particular part I am. But thanks for your concern. [:D]

FF: Yes, it is hard to let people go. I'm sure our history has shown stuborness and selfishness to be a downfall for people over and over again, but it's just something we can't break free of. We don't want to ever admit taht letting someone die is ok regardless of the pain they are in. Thanks so much for your comments; they're always some of my favorites.

Lola: Thanks for making me laugh. And it is sometimes hard to remember that they aren't real. Especially when they live in your head and haunt your dreams. And I promise, this will be the last character death for the story. I'm not that mean of a person.

oldj: It is nice when two aretists' visions come together so nicely.

KT: I guess I just imagined her heart was a little more broken than his, but due to her profession she did a better job of not letting it show. But thanks for reading.

VaderLVR: Thank you, I'm glad my loved ones are well for now too because I know it won't stay that way forever. Thanks so much for shraing and I'm so sorry for your loss. It's sadly an all too familiar story for many of us.

Padawan: Thank you. It's only with a decade-plus of time that I can write about this with acceptance and peace instead of just grief and anger. Thank you for stopping by and reading.

YK: I'm glad you liked the Soontir, I was somewhat scared to write him for fearing of me not knowing much about him shining through, but I'm happy to see that you think I pulled it off.

S&F: Thank you so much. I really didn't think the storytelling style was so creative, but I'm glad you think it is.

jade: Merci. Sorry that's all the French I can remember and spell at the moment.

IceFire: First, waiting for two days is not a long time to respond, so don't worry about that. I'm so sorry for your losses and the current pain you're in. It's an unfortunate and annoying part of life. As for the order of deaths and such, I already had Han and Leia go at the same time, so I didn't want the family to have some kind of curse where the kids lose both of the parents at the same time. And I'm not sure why I picture Soontir outliving his wife, but that's just how it happens in my mind.

On another note, Happy St. Patrick's Day! [face_good_luck]

7. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
  8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That is so, so sad. I almost started crying. I think it's the most beautiful post of the whole story. Wonderful job [:D]

And great art, as well :D

9. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    TSF: [:D]

Nat: Wow, thank you. [:D]

10. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Beautifully written.

11. cheersweetie27

cheersweetie27 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    So sad, but very very good! More!!

12. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    Wow. :eek: jedi_of_ennth sent me over here, and it was so worth it. I lost count of how many times I laughed and choked up. Nawra is wondeful, and Nawra/Airen was great. I like seeing Jaina as a mom with a house full of kids as well as a Jedi Master and lightsaber expert. I'm glad she passed that one on to Nawra. I should also note that while I'm not even a J/Jer, you make me love it here. ;)

This is one of the best fics I've read on the boards so far. Thanks for sharing it. :D

13. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Fels: Thank you

cheers: Thank you so much. For this story there will be four more posts, but there's
    B&B discussion at the bottom of this post.

Emerald: First, new reader dance! [face_dancing] Second, wow, thank you. I'll thank j_o_e also for sending you over here. And yay for at least warming you up to the idea of J/J. ;) Thank you so much for your kind words. They mean a lot.

Thank you again to all of you for your amazing response to the latest post. It's been a great source of motivation for me to finish the post for
    B&B, which is about three-fourths of the way finished. For now. It seems to get longer and longer and a mini-plot bunny magnet. Not cool. Any way, my goal is to have it finished and up within the week. The topic? What Jaina and Jag are up to while Nawra is chatting with you all.

14. jedi_ashes

jedi_ashes Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2006
    yay really good story!

(i'm usually better with words, but i've had a long day)
    I-)

the last post was really touching and sad :(, and the rest of the story has been wicked awesome.:D

ashes
    @};-

15. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    jedi_ashes: Thank you very much. Don't worry about the words escaping you, we all have long days.

16. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    [image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Buttons/Used/bucketheadbutton.jpg]

This is a holo of Gavin around the age of two back at our first home on Denon. The only reason I know the location is only because of the orange Hikari bushes that lined the private park we used to play at, as if the bushes themselves were warding off onlookers and giving us a moment to be as normal of a family as we could. Regardless of the season, the giant shrubs were the color of fire with bright oranges, reds, and yellows. They used to seem so tall, but when I go back and see them now, it makes me feel like a giant and throws my whole sense of proportion for a loop.

Yes, nearly every child in the galaxy has spent at least one afternoon running around a yard with a bucket on their head, and the members of my family were no different. But I highly doubt that such a thing was as complicated for your family as it was for mine. When a child wore a bucket on their head, they instantly became a stormtrooper, or ?stahmtoopah? as Gavin pronounced the word around this age. We still have yet to let him live that one down. And while, yes, this was also a common occurrence for children to automatically become these soldiers when they put buckets on their heads and held imaginary blasters with their arms, it was an incredibly complicated matter for the members of my family.

Why so complicated you ask? Well, let me remind you of my heritage. My maternal great-grandfather, the one I know anything about anyway, commanded squadrons of stormtroopers in scaring the galaxy into some sort of order. My maternal grandparents were in countless battles against this man and his armies of identical looking troops. And even my mother and uncles started off their lives dodging encounters with these men and their blasters. Any flash of shiny, white armor even to this day, and the hands of my relatives on my mother?s side automatically hover over the handles of their weapons. Except for Great Aunt Mara, I guess she would fit better with the opinions on Dad?s side of the family.

As for my father?s relatives, my paternal grandfather started out his career being the aerial counterpart to stormtroopers; some of the holos that my grandmother filmed were used to recruit men into wearing the white uniforms. My father grew up seeing these men as heroes and aspiring to grow up with their qualities of loyalty and ability to carry out their leader?s commands with speed, precision, and fearlessness. His relatives spent most of their time fighting alongside these men and not against them.

Hence, my siblings? and my childhood dilemma; depending on which parent was around while we were playing with buckets on our heads, stormtroopers were either good guys or bad guys. We personally could never keep it straight and just relied on whoever was around to determine how our games were going to be played. When both parents were around or with us at the park was when real trouble broke loose. Mom and Dad would debate?sometimes with barely controlled fervency?over how the scenario would play out while nine times out of ten us kids would grow tired of waiting for them to finish and end up pitting stormtroopers against the Sith or something historically inaccurate like that. It?s no wonder why we all had serious trouble in every single history class we ever took. We were brought up with constantly conflicting points of view of what happened and why, as well as incredibly accurate details of what took place since most of the key figures in the major events of the galaxy were the ones telling us the stories growing up. These retellings did not always match up with the glorified version of proceedings that the historians claim to have happened?and why that is the case is something I have never been able to understand?or depending on how old the teacher is and what side of the war he or she was on, we ended up taking up the wrong side of opinions and arguing with the he or she on why their logic of something happening is incorrect. I honestly th

17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Aw, little Gavin is so cute! :) (Or Caleb :D)

Any flash of shiny, white armor even to this day, and the hands of my relatives on my mother?s side automatically hover over the handles of their weapons. Except for Great Aunt Mara, I guess she would fit better with the opinions on Dad?s side of the family.

[face_laugh] Doesn't surprise me at all

Hence, my siblings? and my childhood dilemma; depending on which parent was around while we were playing with buckets on our heads, stormtroopers were either good guys or bad guys.

Hehe, at least they understood that, even as children. That's a great way to decide what side to be on :D

We were brought up with constantly conflicting points of view of what happened and why, as well as incredibly accurate details of what took place since most of the key figures in the major events of the galaxy were the ones telling us the stories growing up. These retellings did not always match up with the glorified version of proceedings that the historians claim to have happened?and why that is the case is something I have never been able to understand?or depending on how old the teacher is and what side of the war he or she was on, we ended up taking up the wrong side of opinions and arguing with the he or she on why their logic of something happening is incorrect.

It's really good they were able to get both sides of the story though. It sucks that their teachers felt what they thought was wrong sometimes, though.

I really enjoyed that update

18. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_love]

Buckethead!! **melts** You know I love this painting--it's just too bloody cute! And what a great way to use it, illustrating the confusion about "what to be" in the game: children are often confused by their parents' reactions to this sort of thing, which to the child is often an innocent game--I can see how the Solo/Fel kids would most definitely fall into this category.

It?s no wonder why we all had serious trouble in every single history class we ever took. We were brought up with constantly conflicting points of view of what happened and why, as well as incredibly accurate details of what took place since most of the key figures in the major events of the galaxy were the ones telling us the stories growing up. These retellings did not always match up with the glorified version of proceedings that the historians claim to have happened?and why that is the case is something I have never been able to understand?or depending on how old the teacher is and what side of the war he or she was on, we ended up taking up the wrong side of opinions and arguing with the he or she on why their logic of something happening is incorrect.

Eeesh, what a dilemma! Do you believe the history as it's told to you, from your family members that lived it--or do you believe the sanitized, embellished and often glamorized versions batted around as the historical record (which is always flavored by the allegiance of whoever wrote it...)? I feel for them here! I suppose the ultimate truth of things lies somewhere in between--and is often something we learn for ourselves at a much later date...

My sincere apologies for quoting my grandfather in my homework.

Grandpa Han would have been honored, Nawra! :D ;)

Love the post--love the artwork! I'm getting all misty, knowing these are the last few posts--but we'll always have it in the Archives, right? Great update, Sara! :D

FF

19. IceFire27

IceFire27 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2007
    Oh I like this one! :D The bucket on the head and becoming a stormtrooper is so true. My brother and I, along with all the other kids in the neighborhood, would do the same thing. It's funny, we never argued over who would be the Jedi or the Rebels. Only the nameless, faceless Stormies. Go figure. o_O
    This post has brought back some very welcome memories for me BF. They are much needed now in our time of loss. Thank you. =D=

20. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Oh, that was sweet and funny! A lovely piece, Sara. And your art is wonderful.

oldj

21. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Snicker. I bet that made history research papers interesting.:p

Poor conflicted happy kids!:D

22. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Hahaha, man, puzzlement galore! Poor kids and school... *snicker*

KT

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Why so complicated you ask? Well, let me remind you of my heritage. My maternal great-grandfather, the one I know anything about anyway, commanded squadrons of stormtroopers in scaring the galaxy into some sort of order. My maternal grandparents were in countless battles against this man and his armies of identical looking troops. And even my mother and uncles started off their lives dodging encounters with these men and their blasters. Any flash of shiny, white armor even to this day, and the hands of my relatives on my mother?s side automatically hover over the handles of their weapons. Except for Great Aunt Mara, I guess she would fit better with the opinions on Dad?s side of the family.

[face_laugh] Loved it! =D=

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    My sincere apologies for quoting my grandfather in my homework.

Oi vey 8-}

Short but funny :) I love how you show how complicated the take on history in that family is :)

25. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Aw! Love the art! :) Great post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.