main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends **NOMMED** The Family Album -- Solo & Skywalker Clans (Post-NJO AU) -- COMPLETE 6/24

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by BigFatty, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Before this gets wrapped up, a special thanks to two ladies: FalconFan and Z.

FalconFan - You have given so much to this story: time, art, and amazing replies. I am always very excited to see you have replied. Your art has inspired a good chunk of the story here and your devotion to it and your friendship to me is humbling. Thank you so much.

Z - If you had a nickel for every time I've called or IM to whine about how my next chapter wasn't going well, I'd owe you a lot of money. Thanks for putting up with me, being the occassional beta, and just being the great friend you are.

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Buttons/Used/WedgeIella-1colorbutton.jpg]

This is an older holo of my Great Uncle Wedge and Great Aunt Iella. It was taken during the Vong War, during the darkest days of it in fact. Coruscant had recently fallen, my uncle Anakin had been killed, and Uncle Jacen was captured by the Vong. Things were not looking good for my family.

On this particular day, Wedge had been commanding a battle from dirstide?which everyone in my family hates to do?when the Vong started in with an orbital bombardment. Thankfully only the building serving as the command center was badly hit before our side was able to fend off the enemy for a few hours. Smoke pouring from the ruins of the building was visible from klicks away according to reports. Everyone knew that Wedge was running the command center and they also knew that he would be the last to come out, and he was.

It took hours of digging through rubble to get to him and the other officers. Thankfully the only injuries he received were singed lungs. This holo was taken as soon as Wedge felt his people were safe and someone he trusted could take over. Only then did he let himself relax and hug his concerned wife.

Since Coruscant and its massive population had to be evacuated, tons of civilians traveled around with the military because it was the safest place to be and they weren?t always in one spot long enough for people to set up a new life. One particular civilian saw this embrace, and just happened to be a holojournalist. He snapped this shot and then ran an opinion piece about how even the heroes of the galaxy had a bleak outlook on how things would end. The article continued to rip my family apart for not being invincible and for being incapable of saving the galaxy again already. Not surprisingly, my family was furious about the whole thing.

When they were little and someone asked any of them what they wanted to be when they grew up, I doubt any of them ever said, ?The galaxy?s savior.? They never volunteered to go stick their necks out for everyone else. It all started because Great Uncle Luke thought his twin sister was attractive and my grandfather needed to pay off a Hutt. Not really the most heroic motivation to do something.

They never asked to be leaders and the collective hope of the galaxy; they didn?t want to be seen that way. Sure they puffed out their chests or put on a big grin for the news media, but this right here is what they were?and are?really like. The galaxy looked at this holo and saw dwindling hope. I look at it and can see myriad things that mean something else entirely.

I see a wife who understands her husband has duties to tend to, but wishes she didn?t have to spend so many hours waiting on a message telling her he?ll be alright. I see a woman who knows the pain of burying a spouse, and while she is relieved that she won?t be doing it again just yet, wonders in the back of her mind when that day will come. I see CorSec-trained eyes evaluating the situation around her, making sure everything is being done to make things as safe and peaceful as possible.

I see a husband who has spent too much time away from his wife and still can?t fully believe he didn?t lose her during the attack on Coruscant. I see a man holding onto a woman he loves with all his strength because just for a few seconds he needs to feel as no

2. cheersweetie27

cheersweetie27 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    AMAZING job on the entire story BF, and especially this last post. I've absolutely loved this and am really going to miss it. Time to start a new project for all of us to enjoy!!

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    WAAAAHHHH!!!
    :_|=D=:_|=D=

It can't be done!!

I have so loved this, Sara--sitting with Nawra, getting to know her family through her eyes and heart, seeing them as only someone close and related can. It's so beautifully, sensitively and often hilariously written that it was always Christmas when I found a new post had gone up--a real treat! And I am so honored and grateful that you chose some of my artwork to help you write it--allow me to thank you for that priviledge.

This last chapter is very powerful--to me, anyway: the stark contrast to the way the rest of the galaxy would see these people, ships, events versus the way Nawra sees them, in the context of her upbringing and experience. I love the way you tied in so many of the previous chapters, too--interspersing bits about her grandparents, uncles and friends...a wonderful way to wrap things up. And Nawra's thoughts on this last holo had me misting up pretty good--such a wonderful illustration of both Wedge and Iella as the people they are, versus the interpretation the galactic press put on it... **sniffs again**

You should be so proud of this--it's an amazing and wonderfully executed work, and I know I'm not alone in both congratulating you on its success and completion--and in my mourning that it's done! :_| Fabulous job, and it's been my great pleasure to be allowed to participate! :D

FF

4. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Has it really been that long? Wow.

As for the post ?

She certainly knows what's what. The galaxy sees an image ? she sees people.

KT

5. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Excellent ending to this series.

I really like the way you put everything into perspective in this las installment.

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Terrific post, a fitting ending for the story =D= It's been a joy to read, Fatty :)

I also love the pic of Wedge and Iella :D

7. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Wow. =D=

First of all, the artwork. I believe I commented on it over in FalconFan?s art thread; if I didn?t, I know I meant to. It?s a beautiful piece of work, the likenesses are amazing, and the emotion it conveys is heartrendingly powerful. It?s the perfect picture to build this post around.

The galaxy sees its heroes; I just see my family.

Simply beautiful. =D= This story has been a joy to follow. Nawra?s reflections and insights were so touching and poignant; you brought her to life and made it easy to see the galaxy?s most famous families through her eyes.

Thanks for sharing. =D= [:D]

8. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Big Fatty Amazing Job.

I've been intrigued by this concept b/c it is a labor of mixed media--images and language. I think though that in going through the most simplest record of a family, an album, you have revealed depth and complexity for our much beloved characters while also introducing some new ones that held insight that we normally would not have gotten.

To the artists--thanks for giving us the wonderful images, they are fantastic, and show the breadth of talent on these boards.

I applaud you all.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That was so absolutely beautiful; I can't even tell you. I'm so sad that this fic is over, but it's been absolutely amazing. You did a really great job, and that was a perfect way to end it [:D]

10. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I can't believe this is over! I also can't believe you've been writing it for a year 1/2.

It all started because Great Uncle Luke thought his twin sister was attractive and my grandfather needed to pay off a Hutt. Not really the most heroic motivation to do something.

[face_laugh] Maybe not, but it sure changed everything for the better. People forget that :)

I can remember getting to play battle simulation in the gun turrets with my brothers and hearing Mom complain to Grandpa that she and her brothers never got to do that when they were growing up.

That's what grandfathers are for ;)

A perfect line to end this =D=

It was an amazing ending to an amazing fic :)

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    An absolutely perfect ending for a lovely and moving story!

The galaxy sees the image of my paternal grandfather fighting along side three different militaries and wonders what it would?ve been like to fly all those ships and serve under all those big names. I see a man who?s been forced to come to the realization that the government he gave so much time and devotion to wasn?t nearly as pristine as its shiny, white stormtrooper armor would lead you to believe. I see a man who wants to stay with the dreaded Rebels and fight against friends so his wife can be near her brother. I see a man who was willing to travel a great distance and become an obvious alien in a foreign culture just to keep his family safe.

=D= I wish we had a standing ovation smiley!

12. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I can't believe it's over. :(

It all started because Great Uncle Luke thought his twin sister was attractive and my grandfather needed to pay off a Hutt.

That made me giggle.

The ending was just like the rest of this album, perfect. I really loved what you've done with this, from its very beginning on Csilla with the friendship between Jag and Nawra and then his promise upon her death. (Still crying over that, I'm just saying)to creation of her namesake and siblings and their lives being the daughters/sons of heroes.

It just makes me feel.... old. :p

Seriously I feel like I've lived right next door to these people all my life and have watched them grow up. Just like watching you go from being an amazing writer to even more amazing. And your coloring has only made me completely jealous of your talents.

And =D= to those artists that have inspired your work. Thank you all.

13. trick-of-the-light

trick-of-the-light Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    Thank you so much for this. I enjoyed the story immensely. I'm sorry to see it end but all good things must end right?

Thank you again.

14. trick-of-the-light

trick-of-the-light Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    Thank you so much for this. I enjoyed the story immensely. I'm sorry to see it end but all good things must end right?

Thank you again.

15. IceFire27

IceFire27 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2007
    =D= [:D] =D=

Outstanding final post BF! I fell in love with this story from the very first post. Well before I joined the boards. To see it come to such a wonderful conclusion left me speechless for a little while.

I can't thank you and the wonderful artist enough for turning out such a moving, and griping story.
    [:D] [:D] [face_dancing]=D= =D=

16. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Congratulations on this one, BigFatty. It's truly a terrific achievement! =D==D=

You brought your characters very much to life--Nawra, in particular. "Her" storytelling felt honest and real. This last post feels like a very satisfying ending to a wonderful movie. Well done!

To you, Zonoma, and FalconFan: Super artwork. =D=

oldj

17. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Fantastic artwork! This series has been very enjoyable. Excellent work by both our lovely author and artists. It was a great idea. The ending was perfect.

=D=

18. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    cheers: Thank you so much, and I'll miss it, too. I do have another project in mind, but it's not a Beyond one.

Deb: *hands over a tissue* Yes, sadly, it is done. And thank you again for all your help, you really are too kind. I'm so happy that you and other enjoyed it as much as you did. [:D]

KT: Yes, this storyline is over two years in the making, which has gone by really fast. Thanks for reading.

Padawan: Thanks so much.

Yobi: Thank you so very much. And yes, that is one of my favorite pictures Deb has done. She great about showcasing the not as prominent characters in the GFFA.

j_o_e: The art is gorgeous. And thank you so much for reading and leaving such kind words. [:D]

jade: Thanks so much. And yes the artistic help for this has been amazing and overwhelming.

Nat: Thank you very much. :)

SWpants: Thank you so much for tagging along for the ride.

VaderLVR: Thank you very much. [face_blush]

Lola: Giggle all you want, but it's true. Not that I'm really complaining. Sorry that you're still crying over Nawra the Older. :( But I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself in reading this. :)

trick: Yes, they must end eventually. And I'd rather it be now when I have good plots and not lates when I'm grasping for straws. Thanks for reading.

IceFire: Thank you so much for reading it. To stop being a lurker is a scary thing, so thanks for taking part in this. :)

oldj: Thank you very much.

Fels: Thanks so much.

19. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    That was a lovely ending. [face_love] I loved the contrast between how Nawra sees her family and how outsiders see them; it was very touching. This felt like the ending to a really good book, when you shut the covers with that mingled feeling of sadness and satisfaction. Thanks for sharing this story. [:D]

20. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Emerald_Lady: Aww, thank you so much! [:D] Glad you enjoyed the story.

21. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Oh, BF, that was beautiful! The artwork was wonderful and I loved seeing Nawra's thoughts on her family - as her family. The closing line was just perfect.

I've been a bad reader, but you've written (another) amazing story. I feel like I know Nawra and her family, even the ones I'd never met before reading this story. You've done something wonderful.

~Myra

22. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Hehe, *glances at clock* It's almost three thirty in the morning here and I've sat here and read this entire thing and all I can say is wow. Very awesome. I would pause my grandmoter's movie at times to read different parts of. [It's okay, it's a movie she's seen before, plenty of times, and she loves Star Wars just as much as I do. She liked the parts I read too.]

Awesome way to end it. And, I think, it truly says it all. Wonderfully done. I've laughed, I've had tears in my eyes. Thank you for a joyful trip down Fel, Skywalker, Solo, Antilles, *scratches head wondering if she's missing anyone* memory lane.

*whispers* I'd go read Betwixt & Between now but that'll have to wait until tomorrow, er, rather later today. ;) :p

EDIT: Might help to make sure of the time before I type it :p Eh, my excuse: It was late ;) :p

23. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Myra: Thanks for coming back and reading. I'm glad you took the time to catch up and liked what your read. :)

J_M_Bulldog: First, new reader dance. [face_dancing] Second, having someone stay up late to read this is one of the greatest compliments you could pay me, so thank you. And thanks to your grandmother as well. :)

24. BigFatty

Mar 9, 2005
    Just want to take a brief moment to thank the people who nommed and qualified this story for Best All Around. It means a ton to me. [:D]

If you haven't gotten your noms in for Beyond, please do so as soon as you can. And voting is open in Saga in case you haven't done that either. I don't care who you vote for or nom, just be cool and participate.

25. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Well, I certainly didn't sit down at the computer with the intent of reading a full story today - but I saw your interview in Resource, remembered seeing this story around the boards, clicked out of curiosity, and here I am. :p

The noms this story got are very well deserved. You did a great job fleshing out the complex Skywalker/Solo/Antilles/Fel family, with excellent characterization for both the canon characters and the OCs. My personal favorite moments and lines all came from Jag; I've always liked Jag, and you captured the nuances of his personality beautifully. :D I'd never have thought of this particular plot for a story, just flipping through a family holo album, but it came off as very natural, with a smooth narrative flow, and was lots of fun to read. Thanks for the great story, and congratulations on the noms. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.