main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Non-News of the Century] Sammy Sosa used steroids

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by yankee8255, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Story broken by the NY Times

2. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I saw the front page of ESPN, and they have a bunch of Sammy stuff up, and I was thinking, "who cares."

Not that steroids is a little issue, but we already know, from say 1995-2005 pretty much everyone was doing something in baseball.

There are few players that would shock me at this point, like if it was Maddux, Ripken, Gwynn, Griffey, and a few others, but this one definitely had the writing on the wall. Skinny speedster with some power, never hit more than 40 hrs, then puts up 4 unbelievable years, and all of sudden flames out rapidily.

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Sammy was a ****. He cheated with steroids, corked bats, and claims he does not understand english.

R...J EDIT: that's a bit over the line

4. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    This is not shocking at all.

What is shocking is that test results that were supposed to remain hidded came out into the open. I can't believe that MLB let this happen. What a disgrace!

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    This was never really a surprise. But why wait until now to release this information?

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Doesn't surprise me at all, at this point... but I still gotta wonder about the source and the leaking of information that was supposed to be private.

7. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    it was stated IN the article that the MLB or players association is not the only people with this information. the government has it as well, note it was "ceased" after there was more than 5% of the tests came up positive. so this may or may not have been leaked by MLB or the players association. personally i'm leaning more towards the government, and someone thinking that this information deserves to get out.

:snoopy

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Someone who, if his identity becomes public, could face a lawsuit since this was supposed to be private information.

9. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    It was just suggested on ATH that everyone who knows they're positive on the list be given a week to come "clean" (lol) about it all, and then the whole list gets released, anyway. A funny concept, to be sure, that will never happen.

As for the news itself, *yawn*. I'm thinking about making a baseball steroid banner... would there be support for such a display in the Arena? :p

10. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    what a joke, I'm not shocked anymore. I bet they all did it and selig is the most incompetent Commish and the players union should take a part of the blame too. The 98 season should be wiped away, I still consider Aaron and Maris the true home ran champs, not the cheaters and liars.

I'm sorry, but any power hitter who played in that era should be looked at more carefully, even Pujols, I wouldn't be shocked if he's the next to fall,all the others have. And they should never be admitted to the Hall Of Fame, none of them, there cheaters, plain and simple.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Not really that surprising. Sammy Sosa balloned from a Juan Pierre build into a hulk in a matter of a year. I mean you'd have to be pretty naive to think he didn't use steroids. As a Cub fan I have never really forgiven Sosa for what he did at the end of his last Cub season. I will say that he was a fun character.

I for one think that if we want to continue the steroid era talk we place the blame exactly where it belongs, Bud Selig. Everything else is a non issue at this point. We can't really punish any of these retired players in any way.

If MLB and Congress truly want to make an anti-steroid statement than they oust Selig.

12. Tommy_Docherty

Tommy_Docherty Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 17, 2009
    I am shocked. SHOCKED.

13. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Well, knock me over with a feather.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Regarding the source, as was discussed in connection with ARoid, the list of positive results was supposed to be destroyed immediately by the Union. For some reason, Orza decided to keep it, for some mind-boggling reasons that I don't think make sense to anyone but him. IIRC, the government has since subpoenaed the list and received it. So the source maybe someone with access to the list from Orza, or, more likely, someone in the government.

Aside from Orza's brain freeze, the most astounding part of all this is how many people got caught (104 players) when they were given full warning the tests were coming: date, time, place, everything. They could have avoided testing positive so easily, and then baseball wouldn't even have instituted the current testing program. And Sosa and his cohorts could have kept on juicing without a care in the world.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm not surprised at all. Seriously is anyone surprised by this kind of stuff anymore?

16. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I remember when Sosa got caught using a corked bat and ESPN aired a four hour Baseball Tonight special about it :rolleyes:

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Biiiiig surprise...

18. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't know I think people out of Chicago fail to see Sosa's allure. Sure he seems like a huge jerk blowhard but he had such fun antics. He was a character that we ate up whose immaturity exploded in the face of Cubs fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.