main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Non-Spoilers Allowed Forum Sign-Up

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Jun 19, 2013.

1. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Not wrong there, I'll never forget when the 'teaser' trailer for the Two Towers showed Gandalf's return as Gandalf the White.

themetresgained likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That's no spoiler, that's common knowledge.

3. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Yes because everybody that watched the Two Towers has read the Lord of the Rings...

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Get in there you big furry oaf!
    I don't care what you smell!

Sign me up!

5. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Quite a lot of people have. And many more should. I'm not really a fan of great books gaining popularity just because someone decided to make an action blockbuster out of 'em.
    And in all honesty, even without reading the book if you thought Gandalf was really dead...

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is a valid concern that I hadn't thought about. Would it be possible to either not allow major spoilers at all or mandate that they be hidden behind spoiler tags? I'm thinking of character deaths, the climax, how the story ends...but I'm sure other people can add to the list. Those are the spoilers that I personally want to avoid, no matter who is giving them away.

I hadn't thought an actor would give away the death of his or her character but who knows. Examples that come to mind from the prequels were the soundtrack cover itself from TPM, with "Qui-Gon's Funeral" listed as a track, plus one of the major entertainment magazines published a summary of AOTC, albeit with "major spoilers within" before the article. I wouldn't want to click on a thread and see such an article without spoiler tags.

Someone mentioned earlier about thread titles--that's a concern as well, even in this forum as people are avoiding spoilers at different levels. I'll watch a trailer but some people won't, and out of respect for them, "X revealed in Trailer #2" type titles should probably be avoided.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it is highly unlikely that someone will officially tell you how the most anticipated movie in recorded history ends and who dies before it hits the theatres :p

Especially with JJ "Tougher Security Than CIA" Abrams at the helm.

8. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Regardless I remember the cluster___ that went down when the trailer released because a lot of people were really angry about it, I should know, I'm a Ringer myself.

Point being, trailers can very often spoil the movie in some way.

jaqen likes this.
  9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Quite a "Ringer", without reading the books, hah.

10. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    When did I say I hadn't read the books? I am referring to others, nice assumption though.

jaqen likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Fair enough, it did sound that way, though.
    My apologies in that case, for jumping to conclusions.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't think it counts as a serious spoiler when a decades-old book gets adapted into a movie and trailers give away plot points. If you haven't read it, that's your problem.
    That's like still putting up spoiler warnings for the "I am your father" revelation in ESB, it's been over 30 years. If you don't know that by now, you obviously watch very little TV or hardly any movies.

But anything in a trailer is a spoiler if you don't want to know about a movie, as is any plot detail revealed by anyone including the director.

13. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    No worries, I in-fact have a 1962 edition novel signed by the creator himself John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, given to me by my father.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've gotten spoiled for EU material in the Lit forum and I don't care, I haven't read nearly as much as many of the posters there and I'm not going to ask people not to discuss books that have been out for several years.

And even the newer books, such as the Kenobi book that's coming out in August--I'm already avoiding that thread until I read the book. I did the same with TCW episode threads until I had actually watched the episode.

That's different from having a major spoiler revealed by an "official source" and it being allowed because it's an "official source." I had just assumed that wouldn't happen but given who and what is considered an "official source..." Yeah, it could.

I'm glad Abrams is close-lipped but Lucas made actors sign a buttload of non-disclosure agreements as well.

15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    But again, if people think that they are entering a spoiler free forum only to have all kinds of spoilers, that's a problem. That's actually worse than not having a non spoiler forum at all.

People have to know up front that it really isn't a spoiler free forum if that stuff is being allowed in. If you open it only to see a bunch of threads dealing with plot points that leaked out of Lucasfilms, that is a problem.

You basically tricked someone into seeing that stuff.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree; that's the point being made in the last several posts.

Another example; I got spoiled for a TCW episode because someone put a spoiler in a ****ing thread title. I don't remember the source of the spoiler but I was pissed. To their credit the mods did edit the title right away after I reported it.

But could someone thinking they are in a "non- spoiler forum" run into this is the source of the spoiler is "official"?

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Alright here's the thing if a producer or the Director say anything to the media it will be on the news everywhere. That is consider official news. Any trailers released that is considered official.

The list we used for the NSA forum is actually the exact rules list from the 3NSA and we kept spoilers out of there, we can do it again.

Pictures from the set: spoilers. Plot points: Spoilers. Deaths: Spoilers. Casting list: Spoilers.

In regards to spoiler titles showing up. We are turning off the feed for 7SA for the main page of tf.n. I don't know about the forum titles showing on the forum part.

If it will make everyone feel better we will edit the rules to make it more clear what is considering a spoiler once the forum opens up.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    What if major plot points or deaths are revealed in "official news", or in a trailer?

Would that be allowed?

19. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    If in a trailer yes it would be allowed in a trailer thread. However if someone in the higher ups said that, we would probably not allow it. If it is it would be a specific thread that if someone clicks on it risk reading official news that may contain things some might say are spoilers. I would consider deaths very much spoiler territory. Major plot points are a tricky area because what kind of plot point said by GL himself would be consider a spoiler vs official news.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So there will be one thread for all the trailers with a generic title like "trailer thread"?

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Alright, that's a little more tolerable. It's important to have a video thread, and try to keep major info from those videos contained in that thread. If someone dies in a video, or just something major happens, some major twist or reveal that is supposed to make you go :eek: , or a major direction taken in the plot, it should be confined to the video thread only, and not allowed all over the NSA forum. There's no reason people can't keep that info confined to the thread it belongs in, a thread dedicated to that purpose.

Bottom line is, I disagree with this:

Especially when we're talking about people who are trying to remain spoiler free in a non-spoiler forum. People who are trying to avoid spoilers avoid official news.

Hopefully you won't make decisions based on hope. That's like choosing to not buy insurance in the hope that nothing bad happens. Hopefully you won't try to react to stuff as it happens, since once a spoiler is learned it cannot be unlearned. That's like writing "from Santa" on your kid's Christmas gift after they saw it hidden in your closet.

But it's cool, I'm not signing up anyway. Too many spoilers will be allowed for my tastes.
    [face_peace]

jaqen and Captain Tom Coughlin like this.
  22. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    ^^^ Agreed 100%:)

That's the whole point, lots of spoilers can come out through "official" sources. It's not really a non spoiler forum if that's allowed to happen. And people are going to open that forum thinking it really will be spoiler free, they are going to get a surprise.

I'm a big Star Trek fan, I managed to avoid all the talk about Into Darkness except for one minor spoiler that I saw. I did that by avoiding interviews with the people connected to the production, and staying away from areas of the internet where I knew spoilers of that kind would lurk.

23. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I did not do NSA last time. So a lot of this is uncharted waters. And I just assumed there was a specific video thread that people entered at their own risk, depending on a person's level of what they consider spoilers and what they don't. The same with the directors and the such, I would think that they would also be in their own thread for those reasons. Because what I consider spoilers is not necessarily what someone else does consider spoilers.

24. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd like to be signed up, please! :)

25. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm in.