main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-SW Collectibles v 2.0

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Blur, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Some other info. for those who may be ordering The X-files on Blu:

I ordered from Amazon, and the price for all 9 seasons individually was significantly less than the price was for the boxed set of all 9 seasons - and, wherever you do order/buy from, I would definitely price-check this. Apparently the boxed set doesn't have anything that's not already in the 9 individual seasons, so it sounds like you're just paying more for the box. Since the box looks to me to be cheap & shoddy, there was no reason for me to get this (the box would have gone in the recycling bin), so I just ordered the 9 individual seasons.

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    OMG, those Mulder and Scully figures are so rad!

Wow, totally missed this post, Blur :oops: . My bad.

I wish I'd picked up the 25th anny stuff. I grabbed a few figures, but I really wanted to collect the whole line. The Skyhawk was definitely remade for that line because I've come across it in my searches. Same for the Vamp, the RAM and some others. Sam molds it appears, but they tricked them out really nice.

The ARAH comic is the first comic I really got hooked on. I would read them cover to cover and then re-read them as soon as I was finished. I remember that issue w/Cobra Commander. I believe that's the one where he asks for some coffee and you think "Ohhh, it's gonna show his face!" but he had a little slot in his helmet for the straw [face_laugh] . My favorite issues were the back to back Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow origin stories. I wore those out. Really been meaning to pick up the omnibus collections of the original run.

In recent days I've won...

- Vintage Mattel Colonial Viper (Battlestar Galactica) w/pilot and box.

- Vintage Mego Mr. Spock. I have Kirk already. Just need McCoy and a maybe a Klingon to give my collection a little Trek flavor.

*edit

- Forgot that I picked up a Cobra EELS figure at a toy show last month.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  4. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The old BSG stuff is cool. I had a Daggitt and chewed his tail off as a kid :p

Would love to see your other collections, Juke Skywalker.

My goal for this winter is to A) save money for my Europe Cruise in October B) Buy 7-8 Billy bookcases from IKEA and 1 more Detolf and get my displays going in both my office (I need more shelves for my Star Wars stuff) and I want to fully get my craft room 100% organized. My massive doll collection that I share w/ my sister will go in there along w/ my non-Star Wars collectibles - X-Files, Indiana Jones, X-Men, Superman, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Outlander :p None of those are specifically all that impressive - Indy, X-Files, and Superman have enough stuff for whole shelves. The rest I don't have a ton of. Oh yeah, and I bought 2 Game of Thrones figures last night at Walgreens because they were clearancing them out and I got them 1/2 price. I have some Lord of the Rings stuff too.

*Sigh. I have too much stuff! My dolls however, dominate just like my Star Wars collection.

5. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Juke Skywalker, the 25th anniversary G.I. Joe: ARAH Sky Hawk was actually called the Ghost Hawk, though it used the same sculpt as the Sky Hawk & looked basically the same - great vehicle:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/09/ghosthawk/

To fellow X-files fans,who haven't gotten X-files on Blu-ray yet, rest assured that these are amazing Blu-rays, and far superior to the DVD's. Not only is the Picture Quality HD, but (as I mentioned earlier) even the earlier seasons are in Widescreen - so, they fill up the screen on my HD Widescreen set - beautiful print(s). Note that the original TV broadcasts & the DVD's were full-screen - for the first 4-5?! seasons of the series.

Slowly making my way through S1. Wow - haven't seen these episodes for years, and am again reminded why X-files is one of the best TV shows of all time - and, definitely the best show of the '90's - hands down. SPOILERS for S1 below - if you haven't already seen these episodes (not sure how to conceal spoilers on this site):

Beyond the Sea is definitely one of the best episodes of this series. Extremely poignant & touching; Scully's father's death went a long way towards humanizing the character, and was quite sad. And, the later scene when Scully asked her mother if her father approved of her career choice -and her mother's response - was very moving. Though there are obvious homage(s) to Silence of the Lambs, that didn't make me like the episode even less.

Gender Bender was another amazing episode, and had the quality of a sci-fi horror film. Extremely well-done & disturbing. I noticed (not for the first time) that the actor who later played Alex Krycek had a cameo here as one the aliens' would-be victims. I also noticed - yet again - a "blooper" here: Towards the beginning of the episode, as the first victim of the alien was lying dead in the hotel room (hours after he "died), he blinked...I guess it was a muscle spasm [​IMG]

Padme, Thanks for the info. re: the forthcoming X-files figures - good news. Those look like figures from the new series (out later this month). As you said, they have rights to the older seasons too - so hopefully we'll see some figures from the earlier seasons as well. I especially want to see some of the aliens/mutants...

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    We got the Blu-Rays also, haven't watched them yet though since the seasons are all on on Netflix. We burned through so many copies of our tapes and DVDs that we'll have to be careful w/ the Blu-Rays.... my precious...

I've seen seasons 1-3 A LOT. They were the only seasons that BBCAmerica had in syndication so I saw those over and over. Always fun though to see Scully w/ her questionable fashion choices :p

Holy crap I just looked up how much those X-Files figures are going to cost... YIKES! They'd better come w/ their ENTIRE FBI office for $149.95! I'm hoping that's per case price.

7. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    What's interesting now that I'm re-watching X-files S1 is the realization that this show came out over 22 years ago (23 this year). Amazing. I was in college when it made it's debut in Fall '93. That being said, other than the old tech. (large cell-phones, etc.) it's not that dated.

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    You're not the only one! On eBay, a Daggitt w/tail is a prized item. I'm guessing a lot of kids and/or cats chewed off poor Daggitt's tail.

I still plan on picking up a Cylon Raider and maybe a few of the 3 3/4" figures. Sadly there weren't that many made before the line (and the show) went *kaput*.

Ask and ye shall receive. I have my collection packed away, as my collection room project is in limbo until I decide if I'm gonna buy a new house or not, but I pulled out a few random items that were easy to get to that'll give a flavor of it.

[​IMG]

Hasslehoff; just as cheesy in the 6" scale. Added this last month. A definite childhood favorite.

[​IMG]

Mego Kirk waiting for Mego Mr. Spock to arrive from Vulcan (Texas actually). Had him for a while. Decided to finally grab Spock (prices soared when Nimoy passed, but have since come back down). Now just need a McCoy and maybe a Klingon and I'll have all the Trek I need.

[​IMG]

Faker; ladies man. Have 14 vintage MOTU figures (I do have all their weapons, just didn't include them in the pic), plus Battlecat (He-Man's mount). Just need a few more figures, Windraider (He-Man's ship) and Castle Grayskull (just want the basic shell for display) and maybe one of the lunchboxes I'll have what I want.

[​IMG]

Ma-Ma-Ma-M.A.S.K. is indeed the mighty power that can save the day. The last toy line I was into before I discovered girls. Only have these two right now. Would ideally like to get all the vehicles I had as a kid, including Boulder Hill (The M.A.S.K. HQ).

Your collection sounds as diverse as mine. Actually more so! I almost grabbed some of those GOT figures myself, but I just didn't want to get knee deep in another line. At 1/2 off though...

Ahhh, yeah, that's right. They did tweak the names on those re-releases. It's definitely one of my favorites, and cheap enough that even a casual Joe collector can pick one up and add it to their collection.

9. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Cool pics. Juke Skywalker! I had some of the MOTU figures when I was a kid, but don't know where they are now. I did get the TRU 6-pack with classic figures (same classic '80's sculpts, but a re-release) circa 2001. I also collected the newer MOTU Art Asylum line (with amazing dynamic sculpts) back in the 200X's. I haven't picked up any of the newest line, since it's typically online only & I don't like collecting a toy line that I can't find in stores.

I always wanted the classic Mego Star Trek figures as a kid, but didn't have many. I remember when these were re-released back in the 200X's using similar sculpts - they were called "retro" or something like that. I just looked this up, and even these retro re-releases are going for big bucks these days - I guess they were limited releases.

Cool Knight Rider toy. I was a big fan of the KR TV series back in the '80's. IIRC, back in the early '90's there was a KR TV movie that brought back a lot of the old characters. However, there doesn't seem to have been anything new since. It would be interesting if the show were updated for the 21st century.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I like the Mego Kirk and the MOTU figures. I was just too old for those and TMNT so I know next to nothing about them. Not that I have to worry, there are tons of toy scavengers at my thrift shops, I think they snatch up any MOTU or TMNT stuff that appears. I rarely find either.

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks :D. Yeah, I collected the 200X line as well. Got the core characters.

Yeah, I believe they were made by Diamond Select (but there may also be two separate retro lines, as I seem to come across more than one). In any event, they re-released the vintage Mego figures and made figures of Sulu, Chekov, Khan and others that didn't get their own figures in the classic line in that same Mego style. The molds of the re-releases are the same, but they're easy to differentiate because the newer ones use bright yellow fabric for the shirts as opposed to gold, and the colors of the other shirts are brighter as well. The shirts are also baggier, the neck holes larger.

Believe it or not, there was a short-lived Knight Rider reboot back in '08. The focus was on Michael Knight's son, and the Hoff made a few appearances. K.I.T.T. was voiced by Val Kilmer :confused:. Pretty lame, and definitely failed to capture the spirit of the original. There was talk of a movie for a while, with Ben Affleck's name attached, but it came and went.

I don't hit the thrift store circuit much any more (my thriftin' partner moved last year to go to college), but I never had much luck with toys. I think in the eBay era there were people beating me to the punch to buy and re-sell.

12. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Re: the Mego ST Diamond Select figures, I remember seeing some of these in comic stores and possibly TRU back in the 200X's, but never got any for whatever reason - I guess I just didn't want to collect another line. However, as happens sometimes with collectibles, I'm kicking myself now for not geting at least some of these. They would have been a great blast from the past, especially as I have fond memories of watching Classic Trek in re-runs back in the '70's & '80's.

Never even heard about the 2008 Knight Rider re-boot, but it sounds like I wasn't missing much. I don't think I'll go too much out of my way to try to see that....the '91 made-for-TV movie was decent, however.

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The good news is that the actual Mego figures themselves are relatively inexpensive. There was a wave of aliens that had a low numbered run that are pricey, but the core characters are very reasonable. I can't remember what I paid for Kirk, but Spock was $24.99 shipped, and I just won a McCoy for $9.99! He doesn't come with his tri-corder, but I can pick up one of those cheap if I want to.

My Spock beamed in yesterday...

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's very skippable, though K.I.T.T. did look pretty boss as a Mustang. I do remember that TV movie (Knight Rider 2000). Definitely enjoyable. Darker than the original series as well. Also liked the new look for K.I.T.T. Wish Kenner had made that into a toy.

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Wow Spock looks great! The Mego figures are awesome :)

15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks :D. Yeah, I was impressed when I opened him. Looks like he was never played with, or else very gently. I love those Mego figures too. So many cool lines, but I can't collect them all :_|. Still want to grab a few more superheroes, a couple of Planet of the Apes figures.

16. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, I was a fan of the Mego figures as a little kid, but had very few of them at the time; I do remember having Superman, Spider-man, and The Hulk. They were around before the original Vintage SW Kenner figures hit in late '77. As a kid, I alternated between collecting some of the Mego figures & the Vintage SW figures. However, IIRC the Mego figures were only around until the early '80's. Even by the mid-'80's (when the Kenner SW line ended in '85) the Mego figures weren't being produced anymore.

Ironic that some of the original Mego ST figures are less than the re-releases. Go figure (pun intended - LOL). I did have the original Classic Trek Klingon back in the day.

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Blur, you probably know that Mego was originally offered the SW license but passed. They spent the rest of the 70s and early 80s chasing every license they could trying to make up for that bungle and eventually went belly up.

The Kilngon is the only other ST figure I plan to pick up. Figure I need a villain to help balance things out a bit.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Haha! "That's the last mistake you'll ever make..."

19. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yeah, I remember reading something about that in Steve Sansweet's great book about SW toys, "From Concept - to Screen - to Collectible" (1992/1993).

I'm glad Kenner got the license instead & I'm also glad that the SW figures were 3 3/4, instead of the larger Mego size. Mego's are great, but there's no way the SW figure line would have been as great or successful as it was if they had been Mego size. And, Kenner did offer a great 12" line initially - with cloth outfits.

Mego's were definitely popular for while - they did offer a diverse line of figures - not only super-hero (Marvel & DC) and sci-fi (Star Trek), but also TV crime dramas of that era; I do remember a series of Starsky & Hutch action figures. However, they couldn't last forever - and the figures were to big to offer an affordable vehicle/playset line to go along with them.

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I think the big thing w/the Mego scale is that they wouldn't have been able to offer vehicles and playsets; both such an important part of the SW Kenner line. What's funny is that after SW hit Mego began going more and more to the 3 3/4" inch scale (Buck Rogers, The Black Hole, Star Trek The Motion Picture).

21. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Yes, I remember those as well. All of those 3 3/4 Mego figures were fairly sub-par and almost bootleg quality; I remember most of the figures had no eyes to speak of. Even the Vintage SW Kenner figures looked superior - despite the fact that the Buck Rogers figures had some added articulation....

Ditto the original Battlestar Galactica figures - they were fairly poor looking as well....

22. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, about the only thing those Mego 3 3/4" figures had going for them was the extra articulation (and this was pre ARAH G.I. Joe). But the faces were often unpainted, making them look generic and odd, and the bodies recycled parts, making it hard to tell them apart. But they did do a good job on the robots. The 3 3/4" VIN.c.e.n.t. looks fantastic. Light years ahead of Kenner's R2 and 3PO IMO.

I've been looking at Mattel's 3 3/4" BSG figures of late. You're right, they have many of the same issues as the Mego as far as the human characters and not painting the eyes. There are some cool figures in there. The Daggit looks great, and I like the Ovion alien.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Bwhaahaha I was given a cool Avengers Legos playset at work today- it's a mini Stark Tower that's got Thor, Iron Man, Ultron, and 2 Iron man suits. Of course someone at work did all of the fun and put it together and didn't give me the instructions...but ohh well.

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Forgot to post pics of my Dr. McCoy and Colonial Viper.

[​IMG]

They both look as if they were never played with or else very gently. The box is a little rough, but I considered it a bonus anyway.

25. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Very cool! I liked those BG ships; I think I had the Cylon one. That Dr. McCoy Mego figure is in great shape. I remember seeing these ST figures back in the day, and being amazed that a lot of these figures looked a lot like the actors on the show - very well done, especially for figures that are pretty much 40 years old at this point.

I did recently get the entire original BG series on Blu-ray recently; this is the Widescreen set that came out last year. Looking forward to delving into this...