main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** NOObie's... all appz all questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devlin2013

Devlin2013 Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2004

What I do is add omni lights to the engine. Line them up where you want too. Then go into the Environment/Effects editor and choose Lens Effect. In the effect you will find an option called Glow. Add the glow element then choose each Omni Light one at a time. This will make the Omni light look like glowing orbs when viewing the camera view. Mess with the colors, intensity, and size to get what you want, then link the lights to the object. It may not be the best way, but I think it looks okay. Hope this helps.

2. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004

I start with Photoshop. Make a large image and fill it with clouds, using Render - clouds. Then use the burn and dodge options to bring out your lights and darks. Remember that the whites are going to be your high peaks and the blacks areas are going to be your ground. Configure your scene the way you want it and then save it as a Jpeg. Open 3d studio max and make a plane. I use 200 segments for length and width. Then choose your modify - displace and choose map. Pick your recently saved Jpeg and give it a strength of about 100. If it doesn't look how you want it, mess with the settings, then apply textures and lights and you're done. As far as grass, I don't know. For lighting, I use Omni, Sky lights etc depending on the scene I'm making. Use your best judgement and if you don't know what you want, play around with everything.

3. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004

Start with opening one ship in 3d studio max and then go to file - merge, and choose your other ships. Unless your other ships are 3ds models, in which case you go file - import and choose your models.

4. Gaby222

Gaby222 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2006
    hello.
    uhmm...u know..the tutorial for adding lightsaber effect in video..uhmm..in photoshop..how do i "play" the video...to make the lghtsbr in every frame.....

5. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004
    If you're asking how to play the tutorial video, I don't know because I haven't watched it. It's pretty simple though. Open your footage in Adobe Premier. Save the video as a film strip. Then open the file in Photoshop. Paint on your blades and save the file as a film strip again. Open the new file in Premier and save the footage as an AVI. Now you have a video with light sabers painted in. If you don't know how to make the lightsabers, I use a mask filled with white and apply an outer glow.

6. JinxKatarn

JinxKatarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2001
    If you're able to access it, After Effects will do a much better job for the rotoscoping of a lightsaber.

Otherwise...you just need to export the filmstrip once your done painting on the saber glow and then bring it back into Premiere.

7. JimBobCarl

JimBobCarl Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    3ds MAX Question : How do I make an entire ship "transparent" OR cloaked???

8. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    In 3Ds Max (7) for the move control thing the arrows disappeared. I can't figure out how to get them back. Please help..

Screenshot:
    [image=http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7364/annoyingeg3.png]

Thanks.

9. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004
    Is there any way of isolating a light so that it only affects a particular object in a scene in 3d studio max? For instance, If I wanted to make a light affect a model without affecting the models in the background, is that possible?

10. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    Is there any way to convert a 3DS, Maya, LW etc to .Max?

How do you animate the Scifi3D character models when they got no bones? Is there another way?

11. erus_multus2

Nov 11, 2005
    Well, you can easily convert a 3DS to .max if you have 3Ds Max. Just import it and save the file. I don't know about the other two, but I know that no other programs can create max files.

12. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    OKay, great thanks. I'm new to this with 3D. heheh. ^_^

Concerning my other question... there are Yoda models, Stoormtroopers etc...
    But they don't have any bones. :( How do you animate then?

13. erus_multus2

Nov 11, 2005
    Move each piece seperately...or ask someone to rig it up...

14. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    This is the noob thread so I guess I could ask this, whats rig it up? [face_thinking]

15. erus_multus2

Nov 11, 2005
    Attach bones...

16. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    Press 'X' to get it back. That's one of Max's anoying shortcuts that I didn't figure out until I noticed it in the shortcut list.

edit: Since I'm feeling friendly today I'll answer some other questions too.

Add or remove objects from the light's Include/Exclude list.

.3ds is native to Max. Export the mesh as .obj from the other applications or get a program called Deep Exploration.

This one seems self-explanatory. The model doesn't have bones so.... create them.

And finally: take the time to learn your software. Read the help files, read online tutorials, visit some CG websites. Anything you can to get a feel for your program and also the general 3d process and workflow.

17. erus_multus2

Nov 11, 2005
    Oh thank god-- and by god, of course, I mean you...

And just for that, I'll try to get you a credit in the fanfilm it's for :)

18. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    Very helpful, thanks a lot! :)

19. zomgzero

zomgzero Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2006
    i have 3ds max 8, is there a way to load max 2 modles or modles from older versions? i have sucsecfully loaded down to 6 or 7 but not any lower. i wish to open some modles from the star wars section, files that have formats of "MAX 2" "3ds" and such.. if anyone could help it would be much apreciated.. thanks -zero

20. Devlin2013

Jan 29, 2004
    JeneralJarJar,

Thanks for helping me........and everybody else on the page. I'm sure we all appreciate it, I know I do. Thanks again

21. tist006

tist006 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2005
    i just obtained 3d max and want to animate some of the models here on this website. how would i go about learning to do this. i figuired out most of the basic functions inside the program but when i select a bunch of the bodypart groups and try to rotate them (trying to tween some basic motions) they all rotate in their own place. is there a way i can group them all or something so they rotate at one pivot point or something. cant find any tutorials on this sorta thing.

also, would anyone recomend any tutorials in w hich would be helpful in my quest. what im basically trying to do is have 3 clonetroopers moving, walking, waving arms sort of thing.

22. erus_multus2

Nov 11, 2005
    Try reading the manual/help files.

23. tist006

Nov 30, 2005
    haha thanks i coudlnt get them to work for some reason but ive figuired out quite a bit on my own thanks

24. zomgzero

zomgzero Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2006
    I downloaded the Star Wars DeathStar hanger, might i say very well done. My problem is when I render an animation of a ship entering the hanger it only renders the reflection of the ship on the floor once. The reflection does not move with the ship, it just renders the relection of the ship on the floor for the first slide.

In the picture below, you will see what I am talking about.
    [image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/espzero/reflecprob.jpg]

Circled in red is the relection of the ship at the begining of the animation.
    This shot was taken at the end of the animation after the ship had come into the hanger and landed.

Can anyone help explain this? How do I make it so the reflection is rendered throughout the animation?

25. tist006

Nov 30, 2005
    quick question here, for somereason my model im working with has these green boxes all over every part all of a sudden, even when its not selected. any idea how to turn this off, i cant see anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.