main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

** NOObie's... all appz all questions **

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rigon

rigon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2006
    I'm working on an space battle animation. Thing is that I want it to look like the beginning fo episode 3. Scifi3d got the Republic Venator and Jedi Starfighters etc. The problem is, how can I import the jedi fighters into the stage where I'm working with the Republic ship? Both are .MAX!

If I should convert one to 3DS, how do you do so without messing up the model? Well, when I do it... the model I later import falls apart when I animate. :(

And how do you change the light color so that it looks more like a sunset, I hope you know what I mean. Watch the beginning of EP3. ;)

Thanks in advance!

-rigon

2. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    File>Merge This will allow you to merge another .max file into your current file.

Do lens effects with Lens Flare Effects in the effects window, or in video post.

3. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    Thanks a lot! Really helpful! :)

4. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    Mesh problems... T_T

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/tomteberg/untitled.png

See the part on the lower right which doesn't follow the right bone?

Well strangely enough it reacts to the lower left bone instead.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/tomteberg/untitled2.png

See how it has gone up when I adjusted the bone? Well, since I'm new to 3D modeling and wana do all at once, I need some further help.
    I do learn a lot through playing around though. :)

Anyways, if I click on the loose part which keeps moving, I click the whole mesh, since they are all put together somehow so that you shouldn't break the model. But the author has made a mistake and I wonder how to fix this.

Help please! [face_praying]

5. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    I don't think there is a mistake, if I remember correctly, there is some kind of controls that control the wings without directly using the bones (if someone knows then correct me) but I don't think that's a big issue, it still does the function it needs to, just not regularly.

6. jboggess

jboggess Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2006
    I can import 3DS models or OBJ models into Maya, but then cannot see them! Any ideas, they do not seem to import oriented to the origin of the scene. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JB

7. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Just look for them, they must be somewhere, sometimes with import options you can set how the object is oriented when imported, at least it's that way in 3ds Max, but I don't know how it is with Maya. Otherwise you're just going to have to deal with it.

8. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    What kind of version of Maya are you using now?

I want to make something like that. I am new on 3D.

I have Maya but is a student version.

please. :)

9. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    There is no student version of Maya, there is a personal learning version that is free, but you can't hardly do anything with it besides use the interface. But there is student pricing where you can get Maya Unlimited (all plugins included) for around $350.

10. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Looking for good resources to learn Poser 6, and get models and sets and stuff.

Can anyone help?

(Also, if anyone could show me how to render out Cel Shaded with Poser, that'd be awesome)

11. jra111

jra111 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2003
    I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I have been playing with AE and was interested in 3d stuff but I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Once you have built your 3D object do you have to render it's movements to your movie shot each time ? Or once it is built and you go to composite it in your video like in AE will it move in a 3D way ? Sorry for the dumb question but I could not find that basic answer.

Joey

12. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    You have to render it in a 3D program before you use it in a compositing program. Rendering is where it calculates shadows and highlights and makes the final image. You can't just make the model and be done, you have to render it.

13. jra111

jra111 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2003
    Thanks DarthViper . I don't really know the terminology so I think I asked the question wrong.

What I want to do is pay/have someone to make a 3D object for me. What Im wondering is once the final object is made/rendered is it a done deal ? Can I pop it into AE and spin it or move it in a 3d way ? Or do you have to animate it in the 3d software to move exactly how you want for each little movement you want it to do? Im not sure if Im getting out what I want to say.

Does the 3d software just make the object or do you need it to put it in the video too?

Thanks Joey

14. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    It depends on what you're doing. AE can't import 3D objects at all--just images, if you want to place a 3D object into a video or an image, there are a variety of ways to do that.

But to be able to use the 3D model, you have to render it, you know in AE how you export the video and it goes through and applies all the effects to each frame and then makes the video file? It's basically the same thing in a 3D program, you animate the 3D model in the 3D program, then render and export, it goes through each frame and calculates all of the effects and makes it into a video file (like an .avi or a .mov file) in a 3D program however it takes much more time. But there are many ways to put a 3D model into a video and you'll just have to learn it yourself because there are many different ways of doing it and it would take too long to explain. You seem like you are just getting into this so I would recommend trying stuff yourself and then once you come to something you don't know how to do, you do searches on the internet (or the User help that usually comes with these programs) and find out the solution. Most answers can be answered without making posts because there are many other people that are in or have been in the same situation. If you can't find out how to do something (and you've really searched) then that would be a good time to ask a question.

15. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Any good sites with free poser content? Please help.

16. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    I think content paradise has some free content, but other than that I don't think there's any main free poser sites.

17. spybart

spybart Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2006
    I have a question, when I import a 3ds into 3d Studio, or merge a .max into my current workspace, the textures of the imported model dissapear. I tried this with the podracers. Is there something im missing?

18. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    What are you talking about?

They don't dissappear--they no longer appear in the material editor but they aren't gone.

19. spybart

spybart Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2006
    when I render, the podracers no longer have the textures, they are just grey or another color

20. Logan_Felipe

Logan_Felipe Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2006
    Hello

I am new to these forums.
    I want to get into 3D modeling, but do not have a program.
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a low cost (or possibly free) Program I can download.
    I am particularly interested in modeling for personal movies and game mods; I am currently on the lookout for models and skins for an Empire at War mod I?m working on, but it would be much easier if I could make my own.

If anyone knows what 3D programs are compatible with Alamo object viewer, or what programs are recommended for modding EaW, please let me know.

Thank you :)

21. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    When I merge another .max file into my scene, the texture doesn't follow. How can I fix this?

22. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    What do you mean? If you mean it doesn't show up in the material editor, then yes that's true, but the material is still there. You can access the materials of a merged model by going to a slot, using the eyedropper tool from the material editor (just click over and object and it'll bring it's material into the currently selected slot). Or you can go to a slot---Click the Standard button, in the new Material Browser window switch the radio button on the left to Scene, and now it will display all of the materials currently in use in the scene and you can select any of them and it'll be in the material editor.

23. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    Hm... I'm not really sure of what you mean. I'm petty new to 3D Max. My problem is when I merge a model into my scene, I render it, but then the texture wont show on my merged model. :(

24. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Are you sure the object has textures in the first place? If it brings up a window asking about the materials, where you have options to use the Merged, or Scene, or Rename, which do you choose? It shouldn't get rid of any textures that are applied when you merge another .max file.

25. rigon

Aug 12, 2006
    Yes, im sure. I want to merge an Imperial Shuttle into a scene where I have the endor landing platform. The ship has textures but they are in the folder.

When I open the ship file by itself, the model is textured after rending. It's weird why it doesn't do the same when merged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.